Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Smithvillemike's Hotaru Growout Recap

why thank you....

I'm hoping to do as well with this one. She seems to be a good eater and will mix it up with the big girls.

Water temp is consistent at 76 and it's still may.

The girls are now on Saki-Hikari growth in the morning and evening feeding.

Manda Fu in the evening for hand feeding. After the Chagoi has eaten 3 pieces they are all done. If they hesitate they don't get much.

Silkworm pupae at lunch on the weekends. I'll rotate this with Hi-silk 21..

Bentonite clay every monday evening. I have been thinking of putting a large quantity of the rock version of the clay in the bottom level of my bakki shower. If I put a screen on the discharge pipe so the rocks just don't flow out, will the gradual dissolving of the clay eventually clog up the screen? My thought is it will, but has anyone tried this?

Nothing much will change from this schedule so there may not be many more updates until the quarterly report.
    Whoever said you can't buy happiness didn't know about Koi

She seems to be growing but it is hard to tell. She is so small compared to the others that she always appears small. She just doesn't appear as small as before. She still won't eat out of my hand but she knows when it is dinner time.

The water temp is up to 84 and it's only June.

Have switched to ea one in the morning and then ea one and silkworm pupae in the evening with the occassional manda fu just so I have some fun.

the ph is pretty steady at 7.4 and ammonia and nitrate are undetectable.

I went ahead today and put the hard bentonite clay in the bakki shower. As the water cascades over it, the clay will slowly dissolve into the water. This should give me a constant slow addition to the pond. Or at least I am hoping so.

Well, it may not be such a good idea about the clay.

I put 2 cups in my bakki shower with the water running over thinking it would release a little each day. Now comeon, the rocks are solid and hard. Well, to my shock within 12 hours it had all been released into the water. My water is currently a milky color and I can't see the kids.

While I don't believe this will hurt anything it just makes it hard to see them. Now I understand how this stuff works my idea for a long term automatic release is on hold.

July 3 update.

She is looking pretty good. She is measuring in at 15 inches and some pretty impressive growth girth wise. She is bulking up like she is on steroids. Me thinks, she didn't eat as well in Japan.

She has a really nice body shape and just may end up with a Bozo nose.

My koi are being fed EA Show in the morning and evening and in the evening they also get silkworm pupae. The water temp is 84 so the amount they are being fed has been reduced. I am doing 25% water changes weekly.

My thanks again to Bill for showing me where to get my seine net. It took me a total of 15 minutes from getting the net out of the pump house and putting little Hotaru in the bowl.

Hey Lame, getting nervous yet? Sorry I missed you this weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smithvillemike's Hotaru Growout Recap-dsc_0550w.jpg   Smithvillemike's Hotaru Growout Recap-dsc_0554w.jpg  
    Last edited by smithvillemike; 07-03-2010 at 10:29 PM. Reason: updated info on feeding

why I live where I do

Was working with the koi today and got a visit from a couple of regulars. The little one doesn't seem to have any fear. I just have to keep them away from the grapes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smithvillemike's Hotaru Growout Recap-dsc_0599w.jpg  

The koi is beautiful and so are the deer.

Do you put out salt blocks and feed for them? We have them here so I'm planning on putting out blocks pretty soon.

No salt blocks... nada, nothing.

I live between two state forests so there are lots of critters that show up around here. 90% of the time I see more animals then people.

today 20 March

I thought I would post a pic of my little girl. 45.7cm so just a little girl. I don't take good pictures yet. I found a battery exploded in my nikon flash so that bummed me out. It took longer to get the net down then it took to catch her. It took about 30 second to net her, so either I am getting better or she is pretty calm.

She hasn't grown much on length, but the improvement on girth is pretty nice. Her color is good and overall I am pretty happy with her.

I am just starting to feed wheat germ once a day. I will admit issues around here have kept me from giving my girls the attention they deserve, but that will change.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smithvillemike's Hotaru Growout Recap-dsc_0289a.jpg  

Mike, this is the one that will beat Tom's koi, good job so far; I can't wait until Shigeru picks the winner.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast