Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lam's Dainichi Hotaru Certified Female JT Sanke & Other Gosanke Growout

Lam's Dainichi Hotaru Certified Female JT Sanke & Other Gosanke Growout

Let me begin this yearlong growout by stating that there will be a lot of Texan hobbyists who will be crying a year from now as they wear their losers t-shirts ;-)! Teasing. There are many serious hobbyists in this GO that it's going to be challenging, educational and fun. Over the next few days I will take pixs/vids of the GO gosanke and continue to update this thread. I will also continue to update this thread over the course of the year with pixs/vids and observations in hopes of sharing my GO with fellow KBers.

On April 10th, the Mano brothers of Dainichi Koi Farm brought over a dozen Hotaru certified female JT sanke for a special GO request. The purpose of the GO is to see which sanke will improve the most over the course of a year. At the end of the year, Shigeru Mano will determine which koi has improved the most in terms of growth and quality. There are a total of 11 participants from Washington, Oregon, Utah and Texas. The winner will have bragging rights for a year while the losers have to wear a losers t-shirt. Here is a link to a previous thread related to the GO.

Dainichi Hotaru Sanke Growout

In addition to the Hotaru JT sanke I have a few other gosanke that I will be growing in the QT. There will be a total of six gosanke. Pixs and vids of each koi will be uploaded over the next few days as time allow. I plan to update pixs/vids on a quarterly basis so please stay tuned.

I have been an avid follower of Mike Snaden of Yume Koi in Great Britain and his teachings on how to grow koi at rates similar to the Japanese breeders while maintaining optimal skin quality. I will incorporate his teachings in this GO. I will also try and test a few hypotheses along the way.

Hypothesis 1: Tosai grown in a hobbyist backyard pond can attain size of 20 or more inches by ake sansai.

Hypothesis 2: Tosai grown in a confined 1500 gal QT can attain size of 20 or more inches by ake sansai.

Hypothesis 3: Given the same genetics, koi grown in low TDS, neutral pH & low nitrate grow better than koi grown in high TDS, high pH and ponds with nitrate.

Hypothesis 4: Given the same genetics, koi fed a mixture of different high quality diet grow better than koi fed with a single high quality diet.

Hypothesis 5: Indoor artificial lighting is as good as natural sunlight in maintaining optimal koi color.

Hypothesis 6: Bigger is not always better and Texans can and will cry at the end of the GO contest ;-)!

Pond description

Source Water Parameter
    Pond Water Parameter

Koi food and diet

Subject 1: Dainichi Hotaru Certified Female Sanke pixs/vids
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lam's Dainichi Hotaru Certified Female JT Sanke & Other Gosanke Growout-hotaru.sanke.33cm.06.jpg   Lam's Dainichi Hotaru Certified Female JT Sanke & Other Gosanke Growout-hotaru.sanke.33cm.01.jpg   Lam's Dainichi Hotaru Certified Female JT Sanke & Other Gosanke Growout-hotaru.sanke.33cm.02.jpg   Lam's Dainichi Hotaru Certified Female JT Sanke & Other Gosanke Growout-hotaru.sanke.33cm.03.jpg   Lam's Dainichi Hotaru Certified Female JT Sanke & Other Gosanke Growout-hotaru.sanke.33cm.04.jpg  

Lam's Dainichi Hotaru Certified Female JT Sanke & Other Gosanke Growout-hotaru.sanke.33cm.05.jpg  
    Last edited by Lam Nguyen; 05-31-2010 at 08:31 PM.

Subject 2: Dainichi nisai showa

Subject 3: Dainichi nisai kohaku

Subject 4: Dainichi JT kohaku

Subject 5: Dainichi Tosai Sanke

Subject 6: To Be Determined

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast