Koi 2 size between 2/1/09 and 3/1/09: #2 - 13"
    Koi 3 size between 2/1/09 and 3/1/09: # 155 - 11 3/4"

Pond temp when received: heated QT 73°
    Pond temp at 6 month photo: 72°
    Pond temp at final photo: 60°

Pond Info
    Gallons: 1300 gallons
    Stocking rate:
    Filtration: 3" skimmer line and 3" drain line going to DIY barrel filter and a shower filter.
    Liner Type: EPDM
    Turnover rate: twice per hour
    Dimensions: 8' diameter, 48" deep
    Water changes per week: 20%
    Amount of water changed %:

Food Info
    Brand and Type fed: Zeigler growth right now, subject to change.

Owner Info
    Years in hobby: 2.5 for proper koi keeping, 4 years watergardening before that.
    Years buying show koi: 1.5
    Zone: 7b
    State: South Carolina

Fun Stuff
    Koi 1 sex guess when received:
    Koi 2 sex guess when received:
    Koi 3 sex guess when received:
    Koi 1 name:
    Koi 2 name:
    Koi 3 name:

Pick #1 is fish #41. I rated this fish #2 overall. The skin is sparkling white, the tail tube is nice and thick and I think the pattern will be pleasing. The fish has a wide head and a female-looking body. There is not much Motoguru at this point, but the sumi on the gil covers tell me that the Motoguru will come.

Edit......the fish are here!! YAY!!! This fish is much nicer in person. Her skin is almost glowing. She is perfect!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CarolinaGirl's Shiro Growout Data-41-carolinagirl.jpg   CarolinaGirl's Shiro Growout Data-41-crop.jpg  

for my 2nd pick, I really wanted a tancho showa. My logic behind choosing a tancho this early in the game was that there are LOTS of nice shiros, but very few nice tanchos. So selected T192. This fish has great comformation, nice white, nice tail tube and the promise of a nice pattern. Hopefully the tancho spot will stay. But if it does fade, I'll still have a nice shiro.

edit.....I traded fish with Susan Reed so I'd have three in the growout. I now own #2 instead of this tancho. Here's a picture from roday:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CarolinaGirl's Shiro Growout Data-2-crop.jpg  

My last pick was #155. This fish has a good body, the sumi is developing from the back and moving forward, and nice shiroji. I think it is female. I hope the Motoguru evens out a bit.

edit....the fish arrived today. I like this fish better in person than the picture. Nice!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CarolinaGirl's Shiro Growout Data-155-carolinagirl.jpg   CarolinaGirl's Shiro Growout Data-155-crop.jpg  

Interesting List

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    Pick #1 is fish #41. I rated this fish #2 overall. The skin is sparkling white, the tail tube is nice and thick and I think the pattern will be pleasing. The fish has a wide head and a female-looking body. There is not much Motoguru at this point, but the sumi on the gil covers tell me that the Motoguru will come.
    Being a new admirer of the SU I had a couple lists of fish to make my choices from. Text Book checker board, etc, then a folder of INTERESTING Need to be watched. 41 was very interesting to me. I will be watching on her progress.

I am pleased that you have three koi to post progresss reports on. I think that makes it very interesting to see how they develop together. For example, possibly one SU may have brighter shiroji than the ohters even though you offer the same food and water conditions to them all, among other things.

Best of Luck,

The Pond Digger
    "Doubt sees the obstacles, Faith sees the way!"

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    Cindy
    I really like this pick, in fact as time goes on each time I look at it I like it more. One of the things that interests me is whether or not there will be any sumi from the shoulders back to the beginning of the dorsel fin. It made my possible female list. The shiroji is very nice and the body very good. Look forward to watching this one in your care.

The group of fish arrived today and they look wonderful!! This group shot shows my trio of shiros.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CarolinaGirl's Shiro Growout Data-cimg4501-medium-.jpg  

Trio of Shiro! That's Cute!

The Pond Digger

Meg
    Cindy it looks like you ended up with a VERY nice looking trio!!!!
    I see some changes already! this will be fun

Quote Originally Posted by Gallagher View Post
    Cindy
    I really like this pick, in fact as time goes on each time I look at it I like it more. One of the things that interests me is whether or not there will be any sumi from the shoulders back to the beginning of the dorsel fin. It made my possible female list. The shiroji is very nice and the body very good. Look forward to watching this one in your care.

Gallagher

Just putting my two cents in here, but this fish was on my top 10 list from the beginning. Likely female, and yes, there should be sumi coming in on the right shoulder to the dorsal area. I agree, this fish has a very nice body to start life off with. Hope it continues to improve.

P.S. - Cindy, you got two fish rated in my top 20 before I could blink an eye. Good Luck, I'll be watching intently.

Mike

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast