Koi 2 size between 2/1/09 and 3/1/09: 13 1/2"
    Koi 3 size between 2/1/09 and 3/1/09:11 1/2"

Pond temp when received: 58f quarantine tank....will gradually raise to 70f
    Pond temp at 6 month photo: 70
    Pond temp at final photo:60

Pond Info
    Gallons: 14,000 500 gal quarantine........for a few weeks...5 small fish
    Stocking rate:20 koi..small up to 24"
    Filtration: 2 cyclone 7500 vortex systems...in the first tank of each vortex set, i have an answer.....the second tank is full of brushes and the third tank is aireated mats....advantage15 bead..2 sets of bakki showers...one set has bacteria house media and the other set has feather rock.......140,000 btu heater with heat exchanger.....120 watt high output uv sterilizer
    Liner Type:epdm liner over block shell........
    Turnover rate: once every 45 minutes Dimensions: rectangular.....12' wide...22' long...8' deep
    Water changes per week:constant trickle...also change about 5 percent when doing filter maintenance twice a week....
    Amount of water changed %:15 percent.....my nitrate reading has stayed at zero....
    Food Info
    Brand and Type fed: .....ea-one ....black water gold..hai feng growth....hikari staple...ea show and ea health....manda fu

Owner Info
    Years in hobby: years buying show koi: 8years/0years
    Zone:
    State:washington

Fun Stuff
    Koi 1 sex guess when received: female
    Koi 2 sex guess when received: female
    Koi 3 sex guess when received: female
    Koi 1 name:
    Koi 2 name: shamu
    Koi 3 name:beni spot
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails powerman's grow out form-39.jpg   powerman's grow out form-133.jpg   powerman's grow out form-yyy171.jpg   powerman's grow out form-img_0008.jpg   powerman's grow out form-img_0011.jpg  

powerman's grow out form-img_0005.jpg   powerman's grow out form-p1000137.jpg   powerman's grow out form-p1000142.jpg   powerman's grow out form-p1000150.jpg   powerman's grow out form-p1000159.jpg  

Last edited by powerman; 01-20-2008 at 11:07 AM. Reason: adding info

first pick

my lotto draw was 26...89...144................for my first pick koi number 39 i think the skin quality looks good here...the underlying pattern will be nice..i like the body shape and conformation....i think it is a female...but i could be wrong.....there is no motoguro but i dont see this as a problem yet because the sumi is still hidden....so according to the KOI 2 book......"if the motoguru is weekly developed and the black on the body is also very poorly defined then both will develope proportionally.....very good utsuri tatagoi exhibit this stage in the pattern from the first to the end of the second year of life..." i myself am completely in experienced with this so i am going with the book and hope i interpreted what it meant correctly.....any way i see this as a nice fish and i think it has potential....on april 27....took an updated pic...and moved fish to outside pond.....outside pond is heated to 65 so prior to the transfer i lowered the temp in the qt tank to 65 from 72 over a couple of days...fish is now at 8 inches..the white looks like 2 percent milk..and the quality of skin looks nice....the sumi hasn't come up yet except a tiny bit in the tail..and has actually faded some update june 15........caught the fish today....that was an ordeal...14,000 gallon pond..8'deep....but i caught them...my wife helped....anyway measurements and pictures....koi 1...grew 2 1/2"....still no name for this koi...my wife said snowball....but the submerged sumi will come out........so snowball doesn't work..i am definitely thinking that this koi is female...update october 25 08.....added picture....koi is at 12 inches
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails powerman's grow out form-39.jpg   powerman's grow out form-p1000459.jpg   powerman's grow out form-dsc_0036.jpg   powerman's grow out form-dsc_0029.jpg   powerman's grow out form-dsc_0034.jpg  

powerman's grow out form-dsc_0071.jpg  
    Last edited by powerman; 04-27-2008 at 06:23 PM. Reason: add updated pic..and notes...4-27-08

second pick

with 88 fish already gone i went back over the available fish and i chose number 133....i like the different tone to the white here and this fish intrigues me.....i am not worried about the little beni spots ........this fish is very different from my first choice so i look forward to the developement....i was excited to still be able to get this fish at pick 89 because i think it is very good..............anyway i am smiling here and i am also thinking this one is a female but i am not sure.................i have named this fish shamu....she is much bigger than the rest of the new koi....4-27-08...shamu is now at 10 inches....moved to the outside pond today....last three pics are new.....the little beni spots she had are all but gone.... update..june 15...the little beni spot is back...still not a concern really.....the sumi on the face is gorgeous, to me anyway...and that makes me think in a few years this will be one awesome fish...still the biggest one at 10 1/2"....she grew only 1 3/4"...i am still liking her possibilities.........october 25 08 added pictures...shamu is now at 13" she has a little stray beni in her cheek and gill plate....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails powerman's grow out form-xxxxxx.jpg   powerman's grow out form-img_0017.jpg   powerman's grow out form-p1000176.jpg   powerman's grow out form-p1000153.jpg   powerman's grow out form-p1000177.jpg  

powerman's grow out form-p1000500.jpg   powerman's grow out form-p1000504.jpg   powerman's grow out form-p1000498.jpg   powerman's grow out form-dsc_0032.jpg   powerman's grow out form-dsc_0049.jpg  

powerman's grow out form-dsc_0070.jpg   powerman's grow out form-dsc_0062.jpg   powerman's grow out form-dsc_0058.jpg  
    Last edited by powerman; 02-09-2008 at 09:00 PM. Reason: adding information

Daihonmei
    I am glad your SU 89 is YOUR koi...as you are participating and I am wondering what the final color will be of that blazing white

thanks luke

Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee View Post
    I am glad your SU 89 is YOUR koi...as you are participating and I am wondering what the final color will be of that blazing white
    i bought a measuring tub and i have a camera so i am ready.......

Will the Beni stay or go?

I am very interesting in watching your pick 133. I found the fish interesting but was afraid the tobihi would remain. Of course if you want it to stay it would very likely fade, right? Consider using reverse psychology!

I will have my eye on your fish.

The Pond Digger

my third pick

my third pick was near the end...144th....there were still some good fish left...i chose fish 171...kind of messy..a couple spots of beni...i like the motoguro in the fins..the shape of the fish..and i think it will clean up well....we shall see......4-27-08.....fish is now at 7 and a half inches....moved to the outside pond today.....update june 15...8"....and lots of stray hi.....have the pond at 70....fishl are feeding like there is no tomorrow......i don't know, maybe this fish wants to be a tancho....kind of funny how in april when i took pictures and moved the fish out...this one had no stray beni left on it...it had disapeared...but when i took the pics in june, lots of beni in the head and a spot near the dorsal, that it had in its original picture....so i guess the beni comes and goes,too .........update pics added on oct 25 08....stray beni doesn't look like it wants to go anywhere....if anything it is getting stronger.....kinda looks like i spilled paint on her...fish is at 11 inches....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails powerman's grow out form-zyyy171.jpg   powerman's grow out form-img_0020.jpg   powerman's grow out form-p1000505.jpg   powerman's grow out form-p1000506.jpg   powerman's grow out form-p1000514.jpg  

powerman's grow out form-dsc_0065.jpg   powerman's grow out form-dsc_0050.jpg   powerman's grow out form-dsc_0053.jpg  
    Last edited by powerman; 04-27-2008 at 07:11 PM. Reason: adding info

rodl was looking for someone to take all three

i jumped on the opportunity........he had other priorities going on right now and offered his fish if someone would take them all.....i accepted and am looking forward to watching these fish grow and develope, too....these fish won't be in the contest but i will post updates and pictures here for anyone interested....4-27-08....here is a pic update...number 85 is turning out beautifully....i wish it were in the contest....i moved it out to the main pond today....number 158 was still only 6 inches so it and the 2 tanchos are still in the qt....................5-9-08...fish number 158, i traded to w putnam....i had too many fish and this one was rod l's.... and i can still watch it grow...it will be at bill's........update june 15...moved fish out to main pond today...both tanchos still have tancho spots...fish 85 looking good....also bill putnam picked up fish 158 today, along with two others i have been qt-ing for him....hated to see it go....it is a very nice fish...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails powerman's grow out form-158.jpg   powerman's grow out form-t186.jpg   powerman's grow out form-85b.jpg   powerman's grow out form-p1000491.jpg   powerman's grow out form-p1000489.jpg  

powerman's grow out form-p1000523.jpg   powerman's grow out form-dsc_0053.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by powerman View Post
    with 88 fish already gone i went back over the available fish and i chose number 133....i like the different tone to the white here and this fish intrigues me.....i am not worried about the little beni spots ........this fish is very different from my first choice so i look forward to the developement....i was excited to still be able to get this fish at pick 89 because i think it is very good..............anyway i am smiling here and i am also thinking this one is a female but i am not sure
    i have decided to name this fish shamu.........i think SHE is going to be big.......i am going to try to take some better pictures today...if they turn out i will post them tonight........

fish doing fine

knock on wood..........all of my fish are growing and doing fine.........i would like to get a little more girth on them before they go outside to the main pond.....unfortunately my grow out tank has now become a quarantine tank,too in that i bought a few toshio sakai tosai....after a couple of weeks i will move them out along with the bigger of my shiros .........i know only three of these are in the grow out, but i ended up getting rodl's fish and an extra tancho.........here are a few pictures....the two kohakus and two sankes are the new tosai......i also have a new showa in another tank, also in my garage with some other fish i am holding for a couple of friends.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails powerman's grow out form-p1000417.jpg   powerman's grow out form-p1000406.jpg   powerman's grow out form-p1000407.jpg   powerman's grow out form-p1000408.jpg   powerman's grow out form-p1000412.jpg  

powerman's grow out form-p1000413.jpg   powerman's grow out form-p1000439.jpg   powerman's grow out form-p1000529.jpg  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast