Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: PapaBear's Growout Form

the head pattern is unreal. the white is like fresh snow and the black has darkened and become richer! i never would have guessed the cute little almost all black looking fish would look like this...wow. Maybe you can help me pick out my first SU!

Larry

That's an amazing transformation! I just went back and looked at your 1st page comparison picks. I studied your initial pic to see if there were telltale signs of how that face would change. I think it really does have to do with the saying that as a color comes to the surface to finish, that it "pulls" from around itself to thicken and "tighten up". The nostrils and a slight bit of gray on the left side by the nostril give a bit of an indication of this. However, that is still a lot of sumi to be "pulled in" from then to now. I love it, and you're doing a great job on the growth as well. Keep up the good work, you just might be the winner in the competition!

Mike

Interesting transformation Larry...Very Nice Shiro!!!

Thanks guys. It really has been fun to watch. and the months and years ahead should be very interesting to say the least. It is pretty cool that the face has pulled in so closely to the photoshopped "dream" pattern we originally envisioned. 4 or 5 years down the road we'll know how well our prognostications really were.

Well, I was feeling envious of my buds down in Texas who got to take their babies to the show so I pulled our girl (still hoping anyway) for a quick look see. I did a close inspection on the vent but I still can't be certain. The growth slowed a bit as she only put on an additional 3" (now 15") since July, but the conformation has improved somewhat. The motoguro continues to improve and the sumi continues to expand and contract. Right now the facial sumi is a bit expanded from the last pix, but chances are good that it will look different in a few weeks as it seems to re-shape and resize itself regularly I also shot a short video as I think it gives a more realistic view.

Anywhoo, here's the pix and vid just for grins

http://s199.photobucket.com/player.s...fs=1&os=1&ap=1

You may have to hit the refresh button on the video to get it to play.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Larry,

She is looking sooooo good..............one of mine was nudged out for best in size 3 by some Kohaku ....iffin you had been there your may have tipped the scale.....................

She is looking good, but the sashi is still too smudgy to go to a show. Next spring may be a different story though

Very nice looking fish Larry! I'm almost embarrassed to show mine.
    Jim

Times Up!

Well, I don't think we're gonna win any prizes, but it sure has been fun.
    The cold water has brought the facial sumi back up heavy and I expect it to take several months for it to pull back into a better pattern. The skin quality still looks outstanding with some traces of matsunosuke type gin flecking here and there. We've been on a winter fast since November, so only 15.5" at the end of the contest. This fish has good bones for growth so I expect another 7-10" this year.
    The overal girth and body mass on it doesn't show up on a top view pic, but I've included a shot or two that give a good indication. I'm very pleased all in all and I think it could be a competetive show fish in 2 or 3 years when the pattern has finally settled in.
    Here's some shots, with the photo I submitted to Jim for judging being the first.

One thing is for sure Larry................it did not go muji.............

Has some great promise for sure, can't wait to see what the future brings.

The videos are the best way to really see them............unless they don't want to pose.!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast