Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: cmungo - grow-out form

I'm with Bill. Elevating the salt to a therapeutic level should reduce stress on their whole system. No doubt after that journey they had plenty of osmotic stress going on.

I saw her just for a moment this morning. She was at the bottom but so was everyone else. She was upright and swim back into her hiding place. Added a little more salt and should hit the .3 mark at noon, 24 hours from start.

I did crush some feed and put in a few flakes we had for the gold fish. Let it all soak for a while and about half of it was sinking. Will check again at noon.

Noon time: Threw out a lilltle more sinking food and she did come out and picked up a few pieces from the bottom. She was swimming upright and looking a little stronger.

Salt is now up to the .3% and water is at 70.

Jumbo
    I am sure that they really like a frozen or freeze dried aquarium fish food such as bloodworm, brine shrimp...

Robert,

I'm optimistic... keep her quiet and in good water. In any event, at least there is a small silver lining... your shipping costs went to zero.

Keep us informed.

Kind Regards,
    Bill

Zero is really a good number, thanks.

Tonight the fish was eating again from the bottom. I found it's hiding place and was able to watch for a while. I never seen it float out of control. I've never had a fish look this bad survive, so it will be special for sure.

update? How's #157 doing?

#157 is doing ok now as well as the other two.

Now I've got some flashing going on for the past 3 weeks. I've brought salt up to .4% and treated with 2ppm pp 10 days ago. Look good for a while and I started to bring the salt bacj down. Got it back down to .2 but I saw some more flashing yesterday.

I'm thinking maybe I will do the pp every 5 days at 4ppm for 25 days. I just do not have the time to scope right now.

Question

Don't you stay pondside when doing a 4ppm PP treatment? That is a heavy dose to treat and walk away. While it's oxidizing, it's also reducing a serious amount of DO in the system. Pardon me for saying this, but if you have the time to properly dose PP, you should have more than enough time to scope!

Mike

Treating with 4 ppm of pp is a little scary, but you don't have to stay there every single minute. You cut off the filter and pump all the air you can get in there and they will be fine. I can just check on them every 2 hours or so.

As for as the time goes you are right. I should have said I'm taking the easy way out. It's easier to dump in the pp and keep check on it than it is to try and catch the little scooters, hold them for a scrap (or use the oil) and then the slow process of viewing the slide.

I did the treatment last Saturday March 29 for 8 hours. I going to stop there and see what happens. I have not seen any flashing this week but I have found a little ammoia, .5. I'm cutting back on the feeding for awhile until that clears up. I feels like I'm never going to be able to start growing out these fish.
    Robert

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast