Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: cmungo - grow-out form

Robert

Patience. All good things come in time. I know, we all are anxious to get things going this year, but never fear, the fish will catch up. BTW, who said this was a "size" contest? Yes, I agree, slow/stop your feeding until the filters get more established and can consume the ammonia. Do some more water changes if possible and just keep an eye on things.

Another thing, when you shut down your filters for 8 hours, are you providing enough oxygen to your bio to keep things alive while shut down?

Mike

Negative. I kept them full of the pond water but did not put in any air.

It's been two weeks now since the last pp treatment. I haven't seen any more flashing and the ammonia readings are dropping. It's down to .25 and with a ph of 7.9 I don't think it is a problem. I will start feeding 3 times a day and see what happens.

be careful

Quote Originally Posted by cmungo View Post
    It's been two weeks now since the last pp treatment. I haven't seen any more flashing and the ammonia readings are dropping. It's down to .25 and with a ph of 7.9 I don't think it is a problem. I will start feeding 3 times a day and see what happens.
    .25 is still high ammonia.....and with a ph of 7.9 it will be toxic to the koi...........i wouldn't start feeding 3 times a day.....it would be good to use an ammonia binder and do daily partial water changes.....is nitrite showing up yet....do you have any cycled filter media from your main pond you can use to boost your bio filter??

I was thinking if the ph is undeer 8.5 it would not be toxic. I have salt level at .2 so nitrite will not be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by cmungo View Post
    You readings are still too high. Wait and have patience. You cab't always nuke your pond when you see your wet pets flashing. Check what they have. Do not overfeed. I know that this grow out contest means something but is worth more than loosing your pet. Don't start feeding that much. Feed them once a day. If you're gonna be feeding 3 times a day at least drain your settlement chamber twice a day

Moving Day

We got everbody sized, photo, and moved today, June 4. Being they arrived here on the last day of February they have been here just about 3 months on the button. The growth rate is not too exciting but I didn't expect much with the slow start they had. I'm hoping we can catch them up later.

The first pic are from our first pick, fish #81 which was the 24th overall pick.
    Pic 1 is the selection pic, no2 is day of arrival, and pic 3 & 4 are today.

The confirmation still looks good even through the tail tube. The pecs have much more sumi but I believe that will retreat. A lot of change to the head and face. I expected more of the sumi to disappear around the head and face as well as the body. The left side and shoulder concerns me somewhat as it looks like all the sumi is going to meet. I was hoping they would remain divided with a bright white space between.

The skin quality looks really good to me. The white is really bright and shiny. Even the sumi is shiny even though it has a long way to go. This fish really looks good in the big pond.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cmungo - grow-out form-81.jpg   cmungo - grow-out form-fish-81-5.jpg   cmungo - grow-out form-81-6.jpg   cmungo - grow-out form-81-7.jpg  
    Robert

Very nice! I like the pattern.

The next fish is #157 overal pick number 51.
    Pic #1 is from the selection file, no 2 is day of arrival and 3 & 4 are today.

This is a wild fish. It jumped over 3' to clear the net the first time. Landed back into the QT. Next it jumped out of the viewing bowl. Then it just set there like a frog and kept jumping over and over again. By this time it was too tried to clear the bowl, but I could not get any good pic. This is the fish that was injured at Mystic and held up my shipment for a month. No wonder it got hurt there.

It has changed the most and grew the most. The confirmation is pretty good and I believe it will be the fastest growing of the three. It's been my oberservation that the wild fish are usually male, just like humans I guess.

I don't know what I think of the changes. I expect there are more to come, so who knows what this fsh will turn out to be. You can't see it in the pic but just about all it's fins look like they were bleeding. There was no blood in the water but the fins looked really red. I hope it was just stressed out from all the jumping.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cmungo - grow-out form-157.jpg   cmungo - grow-out form-fish-157-10.jpg   cmungo - grow-out form-157-2.jpg   cmungo - grow-out form-157-55.jpg  

This is fish #145. The 1st pic is day of arrival and 2 & 3 are today. I could not get the pic from the selection file to load.

This fish has been the best surprise. The skin quality is much improved. The white looks really good and the head and face are clearling up nicely. We picked it as a male and I think that is probably still correct, but the body has fatten up quite a bit and I'm not as sure as before. It is a smaller fish and the growth rate is also the lest.

All these fish have good white and undeveloped sumi, which I think is a good think. Black that fills in early seems to leave early.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cmungo - grow-out form-fish-145-3.jpg   cmungo - grow-out form-145-9.jpg   cmungo - grow-out form-145-6.jpg  

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast