Koi 1 size between 6/1/08 and 7/1/08: May 18 just about 7"

Koi 1 size between 2/1/09 and 3/1/09:

Pond temp when received:
    Pond temp at 6 month photo:
    Pond temp at final photo:

Pond Info
    Gallons: 5,000
    Stocking rate:30 koi 7" to 20"
    Filtration:Vortex/pressure filter/bakki shower/filter pit with japanese filter mat with oxygen pumped in/ Waterfall loaded with filter media.
    Liner Type:
    Turnover rate: Every hour
    Dimensions: 28' x 15'
    Water changes per week: 1 but depends on seasonal/weather changes
    Amount of water changed %: Varies

Food Info
    Brand and Type fed: Hi kari

Owner Info
    Years in hobby: 15
    Years buying show koi: Nope
    Zone: 5
    State: MI

Fun Stuff
    Koi 1 sex guess when received:

Koi 1 name: Johnny 5

Johnny 5
    Age Progression-

This is what Tvneik-Strodamus [email protected] 16"

Thoughts of Johnny 5

It is what it is......The "Current State" and the "Potential Development" of Johnny 5 is what this thread is all about....

This is a developmental journal thread of Johnny 5. All thoughts and opinions are welcomed.

At this point all thoughts are based upon intial photo of Johnny 5. As Johnny 5 is waiting to be shipped to frigid Michigan.

So, at this point let me start off with the first opinion of Johnny 5.

Seefdro Tvneik-

"From the head to the tail I enjoy it's strong sumi movement/pattern. There is ample sumi towards the tail, perhaps a little too much. The head does show some yellow and gray but very little. Head has the potential to develop a nice pattern. This bloodline makes me optimistic, I feel the head will turn soild with black and white contrast. Balanced body with potential to show nice overall growth. One fin shows a strong pattern the other fin very little. Although with a little genetic help the underlying sumi near the gill shows a interesting pattern. Which in turn could help develop a nice pattern for the weaker fin. Very much looking forward to seeing shoulder sumi development. Cooler Michigan soft water will benefit sumi for Johnny 5."

Luke Frisbee-

This is one in which Luke Frisbee gave his thoughts regarding Johnny 5. Luke put Johnny 5 as # 10 on his WTFWTB list. I am pleased to have this honor.

"5.. a tiny, gray and yellow headed, one big ol black fin and one mismatched black dot on the other, Black on the back half, and lots of splotches under the shoulder sorta-shiro, with the first showing of a narrow tail tube on its right side"

Luke Frisbee-1-10-08

"BUT I gotta tell ya this koi ain't gonna have near that much sumi in a year...probably 50% of the fish will be black...and there will be alot less black on the face than you drew.
    A caution to all....what you can see is not what it is gonna be, except on fish like #60
    A "transitory" fish like Johnny 5 is ebbing and flowing like a 7th grader"

Sangreaal-1-10-08

"I really liked that fish and it had been in my top 20 as one of the really nice Dark Horses running in this race. Lots of baby sumi rising, leaving the shiroji looking a tad muddy, but that's okay. What will remain when lifted will be really nice silken skin and a clear complexion for snowy shiroji. Your drawing very much resembles what I think Johnny 5 will look like later on too--a white on black fish. Is that not what Utsuri is all about anyway? I like heavy sumi just like I like heavy shiroji...as long as it's quality, and Johnny 5 is very promising. "

KOI HAS ARRIVED-Wednesday January 30th, 2008

Picked up koi from Contiental Airlines Cargo- Detroit Metro.......
    Koi came from Oakland, Cali-----to Houstan, Texas-----Then to COLD Detroit.

Arrival time was delayed due to Contiental Cargo hold-over requirement. Which changed arrival time to Metro Detroit Airport (DTW) by 4 hours. Time was changed from 5:00 P.M. to 10:000 P.M. (eastern time zone).

Koi left at 5:30 A.M. from Oantario, Cali.......Which is 3 hours behind Detroit, Michigan (may have left 8:30 Cali time).

Went to airport at 6:00 P.M. to find out it was delayed, then went back home to watch hockey game (Wings against Phoniex). It was good night!!!! The Wings came back from behind after two periods......Wings won 3-2. .......I also enjoyed 3 tasty Two Hearted Ales. .....I'm feeling GOOD!!!!!

Time to go..........Ate some chocalate and drank some water,

Went to Metro Air Cargo faciltiy at 11:15...... Koi box was there and ready to go. As I approached the desk I noticed a puppy waiting to get picked up along with human tissue for pick up. Don't know what the human tissue was all about, I just noticed the medium sized box and it said Human tissue.....Poor puppy was making puppy cry noise.....Puppy was soon to meet his new human family!!!!

At this point I'm happy because if the koi would have arrived at the facility after 12:00 P.M. then Johnny 5 stays there over night...... NOT WHAT I WANT!.....So bad luck turned into good luck....The plane arrives on time at 10:30 P.M from Houstan, Texas.

By the way I never said why the flight was delayed....KOI DEALERS.......Keep this in mind...... WHOEVER ships through Continental through different zones and airports, keep this in mind.....

OK....HERE IT IS...Contiental reequires a 4 hour layover to transfer Air Cargo.

THAT MEANS if the cargo goes from one plane to another it requires 4 hour layover for the process....So thats what happened to me and Johnny 5.....Cali to Texas=4 hour delay....Then from there to Detroit.....SO package arrival was delayed for next flight from there 4 hours after landing.....Which in my case was a 4 hour delay (the minium)....The minium 4 hour Air Cargo Contiental requiement.....BUT you see this bad luck=GOOD LUCK because the plane arrived on time at 10:00 (DTW).

HERE IS THE BEAT PART OF STORY!!!!!!!!

THE KOI LOOKS GREAT!!!!!! I am very happy with the well-being of the koi (Johnny 5). Another big part of the concern for me was shipping to Detroit this time of year......As I was driving to Metro Detorit the Temp readings in my car along with commercial signs said it was 11' to 14' degress.....COLD...... Not good for koi in a box. If the koi were to remain in the Contiental warehouse I was concerned about the FRIGID TEMPS.....BUT as we all know the koi arrived in good shape.......YES, ON TIME and I was able to pick up the koi before 12:00 midnight......Cargo's closing time.

So after floating the bag and taking some pics I looked over Johnny 5 and it's state of being.

KOI LOOKS GOOD, and some aspects of the koi has pleaseantly suprised me.

Koi has strong features and has more promise than I gave it credit for based on #5 "pick photo".

AND......Based on what I have read this seems to be the overall view with koi bito members with their new arrivals.

SO NOW THE FUN BEIGNS!!!!!! In the next few days I am planning on making another sketch for the developmental journal of Johnny 5.

Thanks Mystic for putting that cool laminated pic of Johnny 5 in the box. It is a very nice touch!
    Last edited by Seefdro Tvneik; 01-31-2008 at 02:59 AM. Reason: UPDATE

Seefdro, this is a wonderful thread! I'm sure I'll be visiting it often to see your updates of the incredible Johnny 5.

I really liked that fish and it had been in my top 20 as one of the really nice Dark Horses running in this race. Lots of baby sumi rising, leaving the shiroji looking a tad muddy, but that's okay. What will remain when lifted will be really nice silken skin and a clear complexion for snowy shiroji. Your drawing very much resembles what I think Johnny 5 will look like later on too--a white on black fish. Is that not what Utsuri is all about anyway? I like heavy sumi just like I like heavy shiroji...as long as it's quality, and Johnny 5 is very promising.

Good luck in the growout!

Marie
    Marie

http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/koi-gr...wout-form.html

"Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and
    paints his own nature into his pictures."
    --Henry Ward Beecher

Daihonmei
    Seef!
    You go bro.
    BUT I gotta tell ya this koi ain't gonna have near that much sumi in a year...probably 50% of the fish will be black...and there will be alot less black on the face than you drew.
    A caution to all....what you can see is not what it is gonna be, except on fish like #60
    A "transitory" fish like Johnny 5 is ebbing and flowing like a 7th grader

Koi Art

I love the drawing! I wish I could lay down the pencil like that! I will look forward to watching the progress of your fish.

The Pond Digger

Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee View Post
    Seef!
    You go bro.
    BUT I gotta tell ya this koi ain't gonna have near that much sumi in a year...probably 50% of the fish will be black...and there will be alot less black on the face than you drew.
    A "transitory" fish like Johnny 5 is ebbing and flowing like a 7th grader
    Luke I think you have misunderstood Seefs 16" rendition. He never said that that was what it would look like in a year, but rather, how it was going to look at 16". This fish and yours (101) will be lucky to reach 16" in 3yrs.
    I do like this fish though, but I think it's going to stay small.

Jumbo
    Stevedore Sputnik lives in Deetroit. Gallagher lives in Minnapolsota. Luke lives in Florida. Wonder who's fish will be 16" first?

HaHaHa.

I know Gallagher's got a good pond. I've seen Seefdro's deep pond and seen the amount he feeds them babies and the successes he's had. So, if Luke purposely holds 'em back by putting them in the lily pond, you guys have a chance.

Arrival

For those of you who may be interesed in Johnny's 5 arrival....Read the UPDATED early post above for Johnny 5 arrival history (3rd post)......I would like to keep all that info together.....

Seefdro? Where's the new art of Johnny 5? How about some update pics or sumpin'?

Marie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast