Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: The Pond Digger Grow Out Stats

Pond Digger ponddigger... How's the babies?

Sansai
    Digger, what's happening?

Still think that flex railing is the coolest. Keep us posted on the kohaku too.

*ding* Candygram....

Unhappy I'm still alive But as for the KOI!

Okay so here is my update....

I have lost two of my SU's along the way in my learning curve. Here are some of the boring details.......

FYI these notes and photos were taken in July for the Grow Out Update.

Here is what I have learned and or been reminded of along the way in my participation in the Omosako grow out contest.

First and foremost the true introduction and awakening to the Shiro Utsuri Koi is by far my most exciting experience yet. The Shiro Utsuri has become one of my most favorite fish of all time.

Green Water Sucks! I have a solid UV filter plumbed into my system however I had a manufacturers warranty issue to deal with on a bead filter. It just so happens to be that my TPR Line and Bead Filter return line are ran inline with the UV filter! It took over a month to resolve the warranty on the bead filter! That did not include the shipping wait and then finding the time to re-plumb the system with THE DIFFERENTLY configured filter that was given to me as a replacement. Let me move on before I digress!

Watchful eyes after QT is important especially in cold water seasons! My QT process was in the cooler waters of winter and early spring. Unfortunately, I lost my first Shiro # 53 to Flukes, of all things, much to my surprise when the water temps hit 70 degrees or so.. A couple little stinking flukes must of snuck by and waited for the water temp to be appropriate for a killing spree. Rookie mistake, I know! Life got in the way!

At this point, the pond was at the peak of a GREEN WATER PHASE and my dispute with the bead filter situation. Needless to say, I failed to recognize the infestation quick enough. After fluke treatment four of the remaining five fish in the grow out pond recovered quickly and without major trauma. The fifth Koi, Shiro Utsuri # 108 vanished and I assumed fell victim to the munching flukes as well. No body was recovered as I watched for it daily in the skimmer, Cedus, settlement tank and evacuation sump tank. Two months later I recovered her body in the evacuation sump tank! It was a shocker!

This sump tank usually has 3" to 4" of water left in the tank after the evacuated water from water changes is pumped to my orange tree orchard. During the treatment process as you well know we're doing little to no water changes, so the bottom four inches in the sump tank was a mess. I spent three weeks treating the fish before water changes resumed to standard. Still no sign of a body this whole time. When I actually found Shiro #108 floating in the sump tank I was PIST! I thought it was my favorite Shiro #135! When I saw Shiro #135 swimming around happily in the pond I was dumb founded for a moment till I figured out Shiro #108 survived in the sump tank for two months without notice! I was sick about it for several weeks. Sean at Mystic told me she was the one out of my three with the most potential!

Mystic Koi has quality customer support regarding pond construction equipment. The Cetus Sieve Fabrication has two small weeping holes in the verticals of the floating weir and if by chance during production the weeping holes have not been drilled the weir will fill with water and not function properly. Bill figured out the problem very quickly and gave me the quick, down and dirty solution. Thanks Mystic!

If you cancel your Direct TV your children suddenly find interesting things to do outdoors like help obsess over your koi pond!

60 L Hakko Air Pump is not big enough to run a bottom drain and an aerated bio-filter. I figured out very quickly that using multiple aerators on more elborate (than r&g ponds) pond is really the way to go.

TPR's RULE! I heard the great debate over the need for tpr's if you have a proper air drain system........When my TPR was down during the bead filter mess, the pond circulation did not function nearly as well! Mind you, my pond is circular by design. I can not make such claims on a rectangular design but could certainly make a few assumptions........

My fascination with fish is still as strong as ever and I feel young at heart because of it. It is humbling to loose a fish in such a public forum.....

Bead filter media has me at a loss. I am ready to change the media out of my bead filter because I am convinced I am not trapping fines in the bead filter like I had imagined............I have discussed this with several koi kichi addicts and will make a switch in media in the next couple of weeks! I am looking forward to the comparison of different bead filter medias.

Last but not least, Murphy's Law does not always take your favorite fish! The koi I was most emotional about during the picking process is still with me. She is no TEXT BOOK SU by any stretch but she as the personality. To boot a well know koi expert told me she may very well end up with a large belly by looking at her confirmation! Guess that puts me out of the top running but boy have I learned a thing or ten along the way! Let's see if she sports a big beer belly like her owner.

Boy it is not easy photographing KOI FISH! I will need to sharpen my skills. It may require purchasing a new LENS for my camera!

Those are just some of the facts spinning in my head.

NOTE: My original Bench Mark measurements where incorrect by ONE INCH on the big side! I learned of this when I pulled my first loss. She was an inch smaller than when I got her. Rookie mistake I know! I have since changed the numbers in the original thread.

With Humility,

The Pond Digger

Here's Her Picture........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Pond Digger Grow Out Stats-shiro-utsuri-aug-08-474.jpg   The Pond Digger Grow Out Stats-shiro-utsuri-aug-08-473.jpg  
    Last edited by The Pond Digger; 08-29-2008 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Numbering the koi fish in the thread.
    "Doubt sees the obstacles, Faith sees the way!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Speck View Post
    Digger, what's happening?

Still think that flex railing is the coolest. Keep us posted on the kohaku too.
    Hey Jeff,

Thanks for checking in on me. I am a bit puzzled by my Kohaku that I purchased at the same time. She (again wishful thinking) as developed a very small dot of sumi on her nose! I'm not real happy about that. I am hoping it goes away. Any thoughts, suggestions or explainations?

She was 8" in February and she measured in at 10" in August.

Here she is........

The Pond Digger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Pond Digger Grow Out Stats-hoshikin-kohaku-aug-08-475.jpg   The Pond Digger Grow Out Stats-hoshikin-kohaku-aug-08-476.jpg  

Gutsy post, Eric, one filled with insight.

And don't beat yourself up too badly about losing one -- you'll have to lose a lot more to catch up with me. Don

Omosako One Year Later

Okay,

Here we are on "D" day. Boy how time flies when you're learning & having fun. I have to say I have been anguishing over the loss of the other two SU's I lost in the contest the last couple days, especially after looking over all of the photos posted by all the top notch contestants.

I am sad not only for the loss of life but more importantly for the loss of opportunity to learn. I have studied the different growth rates of everyone posting results as well as water temperatures during progression and such.

I have my favorites and sure wish I did not experience the loss so that I had more to compare and learn from my own data.

I would like to thank all that inspired and pushed me along the way in this contest. Just to mention a few:

Jeff Speck
    Mstreed
    Auntiesue
    Sangreaal
    Mystic Koi
    RookieKoiGuy
    KoiCop
    Seefdro Tvneik
    Kntry
    Carolina Girl
    and many more..........

Here are some photos of my far from text book SU with a boat load of personality...... I hope to give yaw'l an update a year from today whether you like it or not!

I'm not going to lie, I used food as temptation to get this SU into my net and now the herd is fearful of me..........gladly it will only be for an hour or two. I have not added to my collection of photography lens so forgive me in advance for my less than non-professional photos.

In a perfect world I was going to update everyone on my checker boarded Kohaku I picked with my SU today but I was unable to capture the Kohaku and the Su in the same net......I will update those of you wondering at a later date, when "D" day is not upon us.

MY SU is 10.5 inches to date. I will update my original post for additional data.

Thank you for tolerating me.

Respectfully,

The Pond Digger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Pond Digger Grow Out Stats-omosako-1-year-1288.jpg   The Pond Digger Grow Out Stats-omosako-1-year-1289.jpg   The Pond Digger Grow Out Stats-omosako-1-year-1290.jpg  
    Last edited by The Pond Digger; 03-01-2009 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Inches Needed to be stated......

Quote Originally Posted by The Pond Digger View Post

Thank you for tolerating me.

Respectfully,

The Pond Digger
    Well you tolerated us....we were just returning the favor

But part of my regiment I borrowed from you...........

I guess it works not only for Cichlids but for Koi

Your humble fellow contestant,

Bill

I love your fish. Once the rest of the sumi comes up, she's going to be a knock out.

I'm sorry you lost the other 2 but chit happens. If you learned from it, then all is not lost. It seems like you're doing a great job with this one.

sorry for the others that were lost. but this one is looking really good.

i have to say that i'm extremely jealous of the shiroji of your koi. looking at your koi and bill's along with some ot the others, i wonder what i am doing wrong? mine are trying to become ki utsuri on me.

keep up the good work and your little baby will catch up soon as it is already way ahead of mine in everything else except for size.

duc

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910