Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Autiesue's & DH Grow Out Form

Jumbo

Update June 15th

As usual, I'm doing this at the very last minute. Had a heck of a time catching the smaller of the two to photograph. Those little ones are sure "spit fires" when they see a net. She also flies!!! LOL

Koi Info
    Koi 1 size when recieved: 5"
    Koi 2 size when recieved: 9"

Koi 1 size between 6/1/08 and 7/1/08: June 15th = 6"
    Koi 2 size between 6/1/08 and 7/1/08: June 15th = 10"

Koi 1 size between 2/1/09 and 3/1/09:
    Koi 2 size between 2/1/09 and 3/1/09:

Pond temp upon receipt = 68
    Pond temp at 6 month photo: 72
    Pond temp at final photo:

Pond Info As Of June 15th
    Gallons: Moved out of Q-tank to larger Winter Q holding tank 1,600.
    Stocking rate: koi ranging from 12" to 30" (30 koi)
    Filtration: 3 barrel TT/5,000 gph Sequence/lots of air stones (40L air pump)
    Liner Type: Firestone EPDM Liner
    Turnover rate: 2.5x/hour
    Dimensions: Opps forgot to get (will update tomorrow)
    Water changes per week: 2x/week
    Amount of water changed %: 35%

Food Info
    Brand and Type fed: Hi Silk w/Sweet Potato/EA One/Sinking Hakari Wheatgerm
    June 15th = Switched to Blackwater Creek Max mixed with 25% Gold

Owner Info
    Years in hobby: 12 or so
    Years buying show koi: 5
    Zone: 4 (very close to 3)
    State: Minnesota

Fun Stuff
    Koi 1 sex guess when received: Female
    Koi 2 sex guess when received: Female

Koi 1 name: Coming soon....
    Koi 2 name:

Ammonia/Nitrite = 0
    Nitrate = <.12
    PH 7.8
    KH 150ppm
    GH 80ppm

Health note: One month ago we did a routine Prazi treatment on the large tank getting them ready to once again go outside. Within 48 hours the entire fish population was all red, bulging and cloudy eyed and laying over on their sides. We lost a bit more than 1/2 our collection which included all of our nicest fish. Among those lost were 2 GC and 1 RGC together with many that we had high hopes for. These two fish were very much effected by this incident, but seem to have recovered well. They remain inside for another week to ensure they are healthy enough to return to the outside pond for the summer (or what is left of it).

Sue
    2010 Upper Midwest Koi Club Show
    AKCA 4th Annual Open Show
    July 31st, Aug 1st & 2nd, Minneapolis, MN
    http://www.umkoiclub.org/

Jumbo

Photos June 15th

Hmm, having trouble uploading.

Sue
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Autiesue's & DH Grow Out Form-growout-shiro-6in-rs.jpg   Autiesue's & DH Grow Out Form-growout-shiro-10in-1.jpg   Autiesue's & DH Grow Out Form-growout-shiro-10in-2.jpg  

I somehow missed your update and the bad news that went along with it. Such a terrible shame to have a reaction like that to a health treatment. Were the fish having any issues prior to using the Prazi, or was it a prophylactic treatment?

Sansai

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    I somehow missed your update and the bad news that went along with it. Such a terrible shame to have a reaction like that to a health treatment. Were the fish having any issues prior to using the Prazi, or was it a prophylactic treatment?
    I'm going to treat my mutts that are now in my Q-tank and healthy with the same meds to see if I can duplicate the problem. First I'll use only the Proform-C to see if in fact that was bad. Once I'm sure that isn't the problem, I'll dose with the Prazi and watch to see what happens.

The fish never looked better the day before this happened. We were about a week away from putting them outside for the summer. It was the evening of the same day that we treated for flukes that all hell broke loose. I did a large water change within 12 hours of dosing seeing that the fish were jumping really badly. I knew something just wasn't right. They were hitting the cover so hard that they were lifting it off it's supports. By the next day they were all laying over. Within 10 days I lost a little over 1/2 my collection including 2 GC and one RGC and several other "up and commers". This hit DH and I pretty hard!!!

Sue

I can't imagine what that must have been like.
    I missed the thread over on KS until Jeff posted the link up for me, and I found myself shaking my head in disbelief while reading through it yesterday. Next time I think I'm having a bad day, I'm gonna remind myself about yours coming back to back for days on end...

Glad they're doing well now, and I'm sure you are anxious to get to the bottom of the cause so it doesn't have the chance to happen again.

So what are your feelings on the shiro's??? You guys have done well with them in the show ring, so I'm thinkin' you've probably got a more educated eye than most of us in the growout
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    I can't imagine what that must have been like.
    I missed the thread over on KS until Jeff posted the link up for me, and I found myself shaking my head in disbelief while reading through it yesterday. Next time I think I'm having a bad day, I'm gonna remind myself about yours coming back to back for days on end...

Glad they're doing well now, and I'm sure you are anxious to get to the bottom of the cause so it doesn't have the chance to happen again.

So what are your feelings on the shiro's??? You guys have done well with them in the show ring, so I'm thinkin' you've probably got a more educated eye than most of us in the growout
    Thanks Larry for your kind words. We're getting past it somewhat as time passes it stings a little less.

For the shiros....I think I have to obstain!!! LOL I usually never purchase any fish, let alone shiros under the age of 2 (minimum), usually 3 years of age. Much more stable at that age. You'll get a good idea at how bad my eye can be with these fish when KOIUSA comes out with an article that serveral of us responded to for an amature judging excercise.

Sue

That should be fun Sue, looking forward to the article.

Sure hope everything goes okay with your next Prazi treatment. Are you using a "different" Prazi this time or are you trying to replicate what happened before?

Mike

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by koiczar View Post
    That should be fun Sue, looking forward to the article.

Sure hope everything goes okay with your next Prazi treatment. Are you using a "different" Prazi this time or are you trying to replicate what happened before?

Mike
    I saved everything from the earlier treatment so yes, I'll use the same product, both the small amount of Proform-C and the same Prazi. Smaller tank so I'll adjust for dosage, but other than that, it will be the same.

Sue

Jumbo

Updates???

I thought we were supposed to update our thread this month? I looked at the form and it mentions next spring????? What am I missing?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast