Brand and Type fed:

Owner Info
    Years in hobby:
    Years buying show koi: 15
    Zone:
    State: California

Fun Stuff
    Koi 1 sex guess when received: Male
    Koi 2 sex guess when received: Male => Female(?)

Koi 1 name:
    Koi 2 name:

Smile

Junichi-san! Just look at those gorgeous babies! That 166 fish is still my favorite of all the fish in the growout. I knew it would be small, but great things sometimes come in small packages and I'm expecting something nice from that one.

Can you comment on the skin quality, now that you can see them firsthand? I still think I see possible pearl ginrin on 166, or at least something awfully close.

Thanks for getting your much anticipated growout thread going and some really nice pics to go with. It's very appreciated.

Marie

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Sangreaal View Post
    Junichi-san! Just look at those gorgeous babies! That 166 fish is still my favorite of all the fish in the growout. I knew it would be small, but great things sometimes come in small packages and I'm expecting something nice from that one.

Can you comment on the skin quality, now that you can see them firsthand? I still think I see possible pearl ginrin on 166, or at least something awfully close.

Thanks for getting your much anticipated growout thread going and some really nice pics to go with. It's very appreciated.

Marie

Hi Marie, I am sorry for my late reply. the skin quality (Jihada) is pretty good on #166 and it has a much more luster/gloss than the Tancho (t188) and usually the difference of the luster(=Quality) between them won't change forever.....

Speaking of Pearl Ginrin, I have few experience of the pearl ginrin fish personally and I don't know honestly how it develops. As far as I know, Sekuguchi koi farm/Niigata is the only breeder of the pearl ginrin, so I reviewed his article on the koi magazine and according to him, a good or poor pearl ginrin can be seen at a size of only 4 cm ( less than 2") baby fish...
    Here is some nice ones...

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kindai View Post
    Hi Marie, I am sorry for my late reply. the skin quality (Jihada) is pretty good on #166 and it has a much more luster/gloss than the Tancho (t188) and usually the difference of the luster(=Quality) between them won't change forever.....

Speaking of Pearl Ginrin, I have few experience of the pearl ginrin fish personally and I don't know honestly how it develops. As far as I know, Sekuguchi koi farm/Niigata is the only breeder of the pearl ginrin, so I reviewed his article on the koi magazine and according to him, a good or poor pearl ginrin can be seen at a size of only 4 cm ( less than 2") baby fish...
    Here is some nice ones...
    We are both late reply people, Junichi-san... It's all good.

I could just tell 166 had really high class quality and lustre (Jihada? I'll have to remember this term ) amongst our selections. Skin and scales interest me the most in koi. In our growout I've tried to choose fish that had high lustre and convex scales just to see if the effect is identical to the ones I've seen in person.

When I visited San Joaquin Koi I was able to see some pearl ginrins that were tiny. In fact, I have 4 pearl ginrin Sanke fingerlings from there that I'm growing out just to see how they develop and how the ginrin holds up as the fish mature. I've heard that it does not usually last, and I can almost understand why if the koi develops fukurin or enough skin thickness to press out the shape of the scale.

Beautiful Sekiguchi fish! I've read that he was the creator of and probably the only breeder of pearl ginrins. Those are nice representations. I sure wish we could have a side view, but even those are rare to see. Thanks for showing them!

I'm exploring the pearl ginrin/jihada effect on my growout thread. If you'd like to see what I've come up with, please honor me with a visit.

Marie

http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/koi-gr...wout-form.html
    Marie

http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/koi-gr...wout-form.html

"Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and
    paints his own nature into his pictures."
    --Henry Ward Beecher

Jumbo
    it's almost........

Wow! It almost is!