Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Barbara's (Aussies5) Showa Grow Out Form

Barbara's (Aussies5) Showa Grow Out Form

Koi Info for Showa #64:
    Koi 1 size when recieved: 10 1/2 in. (June 30, 2008) 11 in (July 27, 2008)

Koi 1 size between 10/1/08 and 11/1/08: 15 in.

Koi 1 size between 6/1/09 and 7/1/09: 16.5 in.

Pond temp when received: 78.8

Pond temp at 6 month photo: 71

Pond temp at final photo: 74

Pond Info
    Gallons: 650-QT. Moved to 5,000 gallon pond on 7/27/08.

Stocking rate:5 in QT. 15 in pond.

Filtration: 2 bottom drains, to settlement chamber, to bio chamber, to another bio chamber to Ultra 11 6,000 to 80 watts of UV, back to pond.

Liner Type: none, pond is cement

Turnover rate:

Dimensions:

Water changes per week: 1

Amount of water changed %: 20%

Food Info
    Brand and Type fed: Hikari Staple when in QT. When moved to pond feeding Saki-Hakari Growth and Saki-Hakari Multi-Season.

Owner Info
    Years in hobby: 3

Years buying show koi: 1-1/2

Zone:

State: California

Fun Stuff
    Koi 1 sex guess when received: Male (Was sexed by Vet as female)

Koi 1 name: James (Jamie if female)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Barbara's (Aussies5) Showa Grow Out Form-kb-grow-out-showa.jpg   Barbara's (Aussies5) Showa Grow Out Form-kb-showa-1-small-.jpg  
    Last edited by Aussies5; 07-03-2008 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Add information
    Barbara

"I may be old but I refuse to grow up."

Tosai

pond size

Hi Barbara, I see that our pond sizes are similar, (650- 700) you state 30% water changes weekly, is this general maintenace? I'm grossly overstocked 10 already not counting agent #62 coming. So I change water 10 - 15% every week. Gene

That is not my pond size, that is the size of my QT. My pond is 5,000 gallons.

The reason I say 30% change each week in the QT is because that is not much in 650 gallons. A 10% change would only be 65 gallons. To tell you the truth, I have never measured it, I just eyeball it and that is my guess, it could be 20%, 25%, etc. I know it is not less than 20%. With other filtration, I have a Ultima 11, 1,000 and I just set it on "waste" and let it go. I do the pond and QT maintenance on the same day, so I just keep checking until I think enough is out to make a difference. I presently have 4 little fish in the QT that I am growing out to see how they will turn out and also to keep all the filtration ready in case I need to put someone from the main pond into the QT immediately.

Tosai
    Hi Barbara, Oh, I was so happy I thought someone out there had a pond as small a one as mine. Will change out 20 to 30% as well weekly. thanks Gene

Some pix before went into QT

Here are a few pictures of #64 when I brought her home and before went into QT.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Barbara's (Aussies5) Showa Grow Out Form-img_1594.jpg   Barbara's (Aussies5) Showa Grow Out Form-img_1603.jpg   Barbara's (Aussies5) Showa Grow Out Form-img_1609.jpg  

I know this may sound silly, but I think that koi has a nice eye. There's something gentle and kind and 'old soul' about it....

Meg
    Marie is silly!
    it is the perfect lips that make this koi
    also I think the break in the hi right befor the tail, that bit of white balances the white on it's face, not all of the koi had that or the nicely balanced kohaku pattern this one has

Quote Originally Posted by Sangreaal View Post
    I know this may sound silly, but I think that koi has a nice eye. There's something gentle and kind and 'old soul' about it....
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Marie is silly!
    it is the perfect lips that make this koi
    also I think the break in the hi right befor the tail, that bit of white balances the white on it's face, not all of the koi had that or the nicely balanced kohaku pattern this one has

Marie, it is interesting that you say that about a nice eye. On another thread I mentioned how calm this fish was on the ride home from Eastern and when I took her out of the bag. She just nestled into my hand and did not squirm around. I put her in a tub to take pictures and again she was so calm and would stop swimming so I could take pictures. Now that she is in the QT with other fish she is very active, so nothing is wrong with her, just a calm, peaceful fish. Because of this, and on advise from Nancy at Eastern, after treatments are done, plus a little more time, I am going to move her into the pond. I had planned to raise her in the QT but she is in there with some very wild ones and I think a few days in the pond she will be eating from my hand. I am really excited to see her develop.

When I selected her, I did not even see the red lips in the picture. They are perfect not like, someone said in another thread of mine, lipstick was put on when hitting a speed bump.

So, now I need a name for her regarding her calmness and red lips, any suggestions?

Meg
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussies5 View Post
    So, now I need a name for her regarding her calmness and red lips, any suggestions?
    Geisha or the name of a famous Geisha?
    they have an air of calm serinity and very red perfect lips

Quote Originally Posted by Aussies5 View Post
    Marie, it is interesting that you say that about a nice eye. On another thread I mentioned how calm this fish was on the ride home from Eastern and when I took her out of the bag. She just nestled into my hand and did not squirm around. I put her in a tub to take pictures and again she was so calm and would stop swimming so I could take pictures. Now that she is in the QT with other fish she is very active, so nothing is wrong with her, just a calm, peaceful fish. Because of this, and on advise from Nancy at Eastern, after treatments are done, plus a little more time, I am going to move her into the pond. I had planned to raise her in the QT but she is in there with some very wild ones and I think a few days in the pond she will be eating from my hand. I am really excited to see her develop.

When I selected her, I did not even see the red lips in the picture. They are perfect not like, someone said in another thread of mine, lipstick was put on when hitting a speed bump.

My Tancho Showa (Gentle) in my growout thread has the same look about her, and is so very calm and docile. She lets me noodle her from the tank with trust. It's interesting to hear that your new one has the same spirit. I just love finfolk like this....

Those kuchibeni lips are perfect. What a boon when you least expected it!

Perhaps name her Kabuki, after the Japanese stage actors/actresses/dancers--they have perfectly penciled lips and make up and are so very elegant and graceful, as I'm sure your fish will be....

Marie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast