Koi 1 size between 6/1/09 and 7/1/09: 14.75 on June 28, 2009
    Koi 2 size between 6/1/09 and 7/1/09:
    Koi 3 size between 6/1/09 and 7/1/09:

Pond temp when received: 73 degrees
    Pond temp at Oct. 19, 2008 photos: 60 degrees
    Pond temp at 6 month photo:
    Pond temp at final photo: 77 degrees

Pond Info
    Gallons: 300 indoor tank at first, but will certainly move them to big pond later
    Stocking rate: 6 koi all under 12", most are under 8"
    Moved into outdoor pond in August. 11,000 + or - gals.
    Filtration: 2 DIY 55gal barrels, well seasoned, 3 high zoot air bubblers
    Outdoor pond: 9 vortexes on two different pumps, 5000 gal settling chamber with lava rock, multi area airlines within filters/pond
    Liner Type:
    Turnover rate:
    Dimensions:
    Water changes per week: 2-3
    Water changes now down to one per week for winter, and 10-25% ea.
    Amount of water changed %: 10-25% ea. X

Food Info
    Brand and Type fed: Hikari wheat germ, Hi silk, Dianichi, and various treats
    No more Dianichi will be fed. Too much waste with our experience. Hikari Wheat germ is staple now. Some barley fortified with vitamins.

Owner Info
    Years in hobby: 14, plus many more of aquarium experience
    Years buying show koi: 11
    Zone: 5b-6
    State: Colorado

Fun Stuff
    Koi 1 sex guess when received: Female, but just guessing. Don't think anyone is that good at this size, are they?
    Koi 2 sex guess when received:
    Koi 3 sex guess when received:
    Koi 1 name: Never name em if you like em!
    Koi 2 name:
    Koi 3 name:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JanT (ScottT's) Ogata showa grow out-easternshowagrowout07010810inches.jpg   JanT (ScottT's) Ogata showa grow out-easternshowagrowout10190812.50in.jpg   JanT (ScottT's) Ogata showa grow out-easternshowagrowout101908scott.jpg   JanT (ScottT's) Ogata showa grow out-easternshowagrowout101908no3.jpg   JanT (ScottT's) Ogata showa grow out-scottsogatashowa06282009.jpg  

JanT (ScottT's) Ogata showa grow out-scottsogatashowa062820092.jpg   JanT (ScottT's) Ogata showa grow out-scottsogatashowa062820093.jpg   JanT (ScottT's) Ogata showa grow out-scottsogatashowa062820095.jpg  
    Last edited by JanT; 10-19-2008 at 06:46 PM. Reason: updates added

August 19th, 08
    Koi was transferred to outdoor pond for the next 2 months. Did not measure (can tell it grew some), but beni is intensifying and koi appears totally healthy. We can see underlying black 'slash' from nose to top of head more clearly.
    Last edited by JanT; 09-14-2008 at 02:30 PM. Reason: I thought I previously posted this when koi moved.

Lookin' good guys. Nice big blocks of beni and the sumi looks like it could come up in all the right places The conformation and the nice little crest at the base of the head makes me think this one could really grow well

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    Lookin' good guys. Nice big blocks of beni and the sumi looks like it could come up in all the right places The conformation and the nice little crest at the base of the head makes me think this one could really grow well
    Morning, Larry!
    I agree with your comments.....only hope we aren't fooled. I have never owned an Ogata (wondering why)so this is first learning on this breeder, and enjoyable.
    Also, when I pick small fish like this, I look at finnage too. Large, well proportioned fins all around can help to show good future growth.

New October '08 pics/data posted above

I simply edited the form from first posting above to show our showa changes.
    First picture was when koi received on July 1st.
    Last 3 pics were today, 10-19-08.

2.5 inches of growth is good by us for 3.5 months. We like the subtle changes seen at the odome and shoulder areas on this koi. I don't know if the motoguro shows on both pecs, but it is there. (wondering if it might increase in future) Sashi and kiwa still interesting and promising. And, boy, that faint face slash and nose sumi lurking beneath makes us hope for future completion. Cannot get a better sense for male vs. female than July, other than vent still appears female moreso than male..........just a bit too small to be sure I think. We all hope for females don't we!?!

I think we will leave this koi out in the big pond for the winter. We will heat, although minor compared to last year (Gas$$$$ going up,up,up).

Jan
    Scott's showa is looking good, I think SHE will be a keeper.. Now I want to see pics of your showa......

Oooh Baby
    I'm lovin' the skin on this one. The beni has a nicely refined look to it and the sashi and kiwa look to me to be just what the Dr. ordered. That sumi is really gonna make you wait, but I'm thinkin' it'll be worth it when it comes into its own.

OK, Nancy......here is my showa:

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy M. View Post
    Jan
    Scott's showa is looking good, I think SHE will be a keeper.. Now I want to see pics of your showa......
    Uh, glad you like HER, Nancy.
    We are both enjoying watching both koi develop and grow.
    Now, here is a teaser picture of my Eastern showa (not in the Growout, but purchased at same time as Scott's growout showa) My fish went to our RMKC show mid Aug. and won best in variety at 12.75", and now is 13.25". I really like this koi. Might be the best skin in our pond! Tell Ken 'thanks' - Again!

Tell me what you think of my showa, Nancy !?.......

And Larry?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JanT (ScottT's) Ogata showa grow out-easternogata-showajan101908-13.25inches.jpg  

...Thinking about hating you now...
    (We really need a little green eyed monster smilie)
    Another nice future going on here imho. I like the little teaser sumi tracks across the face on her. Same plus factors as Scott's and no negatives to be found. The two of you are gonna BE the killer competition when these two come of age

Quote Originally Posted by JanT View Post
    Uh, glad you like HER, Nancy.
    We are both enjoying watching both koi develop and grow.
    Now, here is a teaser picture of my Eastern showa (not in the Growout, but purchased at same time as Scott's growout showa) My fish went to our RMKC show mid Aug. and won best in variety at 12.75", and now is 13.25". I really like this koi. Might be the best skin in our pond! Tell Ken 'thanks' - Again!

Tell me what you think of my showa, Nancy !?.......

And Larry?
    Jan
    Your showa is looking really really good, I cant wait to see when the menware has finished coming up. The sumi and beni look good.. she also looks to have great luster.

Sorry Scott, but my vote is for Jan at this point..

I bet about now you are wondering why you never have bought Ogata showa before???

I have to say his showa's are one of my top 5 favorites.

Our oldest Ogata is 9 years now, and her sumi and beni is still not finished, but the quality of the skin is just amazing on this fish she is around 31", and will be coming out of retirement in Feb 2009, since the San Diego club, has decided to allow previous GC to come back, after a 3 year time span..

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast