Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4Texas Showa Growout thread

Tosai
    nice progress on your showa growouts...I had a hard time netting mine for photo shoot today..ended up with a minor split fin on mine....Next time I'll call you and Ryan to come help

Quote Originally Posted by 4TEXAS View Post
    Thanks for the complement, but I learned from the best. I asked Ryan the secret to his grow out and he told me steroids and dog food, but to much may cause them to jump to high.
    Hmmmm….so dog food and steroids. Do you use the same brand all year?
    They look great!

Tategoi
    Quote Originally Posted by dtran6 View Post
    nice progress on your showa growouts...I had a hard time netting mine for photo shoot today..ended up with a minor split fin on mine....Next time I'll call you and Ryan to come help
    Thanks for the praises, I'm getting good growth but the sumi has not come up yet compared to everyone else Showa. I understand that for showa the sumi takes a while, but I'm looking at how bright and show ready everyone koi are doing I feel that I'm missing something. Planning to change food out next year to see if there will be any changes.

Tategoi
    Koi Info
    Koi 1 size when recieved:#9 (9.5")
    Koi 2 size when recieved:#80 (10")
    Koi 3 size when recieved:#25 (9")

Koi 1 size between 10/1/08 and 11/1/08: 16
    Koi 2 size between 10/1/08 and 11/1/08: 16
    Koi 3 size between 10/1/08 and 11/1/08: 15.5

Koi 1 size between 6/1/09 and 7/1/09: 19.5
    Koi 2 size between 6/1/09 and 7/1/09: 20
    Koi 3 size between 6/1/09 and 7/1/09: 18.5

Pond temp when received:80 degree
    Pond temp at 6 month photo:73 degree
    Pond temp at final photo:86 degree

Pond Info
    Gallons:7,000
    Stocking rate:30
    Filtration:Settlement Chamber W/ Multichamber Filter
    Liner Type:
    Turnover rate:
    Dimensions:
    Water changes per week:1 a week
    Amount of water changed %: 5% - 10%

Food Info
    Brand and Type fed: Kenko Pro, Spirillini, Krill.
    Switch 1/2009 feed: Hi-Silk 21, Ea Show, Hikari Growth
    Owner Info
    Years in hobby:5
    Years buying show koi:2
    Zone:Houston
    State:Texas

Fun Stuff
    Koi 1 sex guess when received:Female
    Koi 2 sex guess when received:Male
    Koi 3 sex guess when received:Female
    Koi 1 name:Patches
    Koi 2 name:Bob
    Koi 3 name:Lucky

Sorry for the delay; the temp has been too hot to bowl fish, finally bowled fish at 6am today and water temp was at 86 degree. Sorry for the picture quality they were not very cooperative, maybe water was to hot to be bowled and they didn't like it so I had to move fast. Got very good growth, but sumi has not come up on any of the fish, may due to water temp. Since switching out on food and doing more water changes, I noticed that the beni and the shiroji got much cleaner and deeper. This grow-out has been a very facinating experience for me and even if I didn't win anything I really appreciate the opportunity to learn from everyone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4Texas Showa Growout thread-ogata9a.jpg   4Texas Showa Growout thread-ogata9b.jpg   4Texas Showa Growout thread-ogata52a.jpg   4Texas Showa Growout thread-ogata52b.jpg   4Texas Showa Growout thread-ogata52c.jpg  

4Texas Showa Growout thread-ogata80a.jpg   4Texas Showa Growout thread-ogata80b.jpg  

Meg
    holymackanoly! you got a lot of growth!
    I would like to see what that sumi on #1 is doing next year

Wow, wow, you certainly got a lot of growth in a year.

If they keep growing like that each one will need it's own pond.

Tosai
    WOW! amazing growth! I really like that 1st one...if you ever decide to make some room for dem Dainichi's...let me know

Tategoi
    Quote Originally Posted by dtran6 View Post
    WOW! amazing growth! I really like that 1st one...if you ever decide to make some room for dem Dainichi's...let me know
    David this is my favortie grow-out showa, since you like her so much here are some more pics of her for you to see. She is very unfinished and have a couple of more year to finish, but the potential looks very good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4Texas Showa Growout thread-img_1731.jpg   4Texas Showa Growout thread-6-2009-087.jpg   4Texas Showa Growout thread-6-2009-094.jpg   4Texas Showa Growout thread-6-2009-080.jpg  

Tosai
    Sweet! keep us updated with pics

Tategoi

Now a Sansai

Is there anyone else out there who still have their Ogata showa grow-out? I originally started out with 3 , #80 had the best growth but was a male and had to be rehomed. #25 was a very nice female, but a good friend talked me into letting him take her off my hands. This is the only showa I have left and want to show everyone her progress. She is a Sansai now and I last measured her on April 2010 as 25.5".
    She has beautiful white shiroji, beni still looks very deep and strong but sumi has still not come up yet only a little on the shoulder. Maybe I have to wait for another yr or 2. Body looks to be pretty goodb but her tail tube looks a little too thin. Maybe because of all the eggs she's carrying. Please comment on what you think and is she worth holding on too. I hope you enjoy the picks and if anyone else still have theirs, please post results for us to see.(Dtran)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4Texas Showa Growout thread-picture-449.jpg   4Texas Showa Growout thread-picture-450.jpg   4Texas Showa Growout thread-picture-464.jpg   4Texas Showa Growout thread-picture-579.jpg  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast