Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: developing Sumi

Meg

developing Sumi

browsing through the shiro grow outs, astonished with the variety of sumi seen within our little group of shiro utsuri I gathered some examples for study.
    What do they tell us?

Is the under lying sumi that shows a lovely reticualtion more promising than the motled marbled one?
    does the hint of sumi that shows only a fleck of black coming along better than the hinting sumi that is a full shadow but no real black has hit the surface?
    is the ones with deep black sumi with clean edges finished? maybe male?

What do you see?

Meg

developing sumi

guess posting the pictures would help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails developing Sumi-sumi2.jpg   developing Sumi-developing-sumi3.jpg   developing Sumi-developoing-sumi-7.jpg   developing Sumi-developing-sumi8.jpg   developing Sumi-developing-sumi-9.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images    

Sansai
    First picture in the bottom row might be a fish that hasn't had a lot of natural light yet. I would expect most of them to develop some of the darkest lacquer-type sumi. Eventually. But there will be some that go shiro muji and it just never happens.

Good question, Meg. I've been wondering about the ones with the reticulation, too.

Good questions, but I don't have any answers. Ours has gone from heavily black baby sumi to nicely outlined reticulation to patches of freckled looking sumi and back to strong black and a tightening pattern. Some of those changes can be linked to growth, indoor lighting vs outdoor, etc..., but the progression has almost run the gamut.

Meg
    thanks for the input Papabear, mine has run the gauntlet also, having stages of it all at one time.
    all but that tidy looking reticulation

Meg
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Speck View Post
    First picture in the bottom row might be a fish that hasn't had a lot of natural light yet. I would expect most of them to develop some of the darkest lacquer-type sumi. Eventually. But there will be some that go shiro muji and it just never happens.

so Jeff you feel both these could go on to develope the same dark laquer sumi? they are eveloping so diferently

ok, I couldn't repost the pictures for some reason. so say the first one of each row, one reticulated and one marbled

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Speck View Post
    First picture in the bottom row might be a fish that hasn't had a lot of natural light yet.
    Jeff is spot on as that is a picture of #62's back..........................
    I have seen that type of sumi in Koi coming out of really dark mud ponds............now the question is how long for it to darken up after it is brought outside.............

Meg
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrseed View Post
    Jeff is spot on as that is a picture of #62's back..........................
    I have seen that type of sumi in Koi coming out of really dark mud ponds............now the question is how long for it to darken up after it is brought outside.............
    the man knows his own fish all right!
    there are several koi that had sumi which look like this but this was a good shot of it. #62 yes.
    but is it more stable or cleaner than the others, what does it tell us ?
    perhaps nada?

Sansai
    It's been a while since these links were posted, but they give us a whole lot to look at:

‹ÑŒï‚Ì–Ê”——{Œï&#234 ;

Koi Forum (Nishikigoi - Japanese Koi Fish): Regional: Singapore: Grow out event - Series 3 (Omosako Musashi shiro utsuri): Page 9

I'm by no means very knowledgeable on this, but in my opinion the finished sumi on all of them should range from very good to excellent--they're Omosakos! It's just whether the sumi finishes or not, and where. And there will be a few shiro muji.

Even though the sumi is the fun aspect to watch on them, I would bet that where most of the grow-out fish will fall short of the dream is in their sex, body conformation, and quality of shiroji.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast