Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: White Skin Quality Kohaku

White Skin Quality Kohaku

I have just purchased 8 good quality tosai kohaku. I would like to grow them at optimal growth rate while improving the white. Is there a way to do this without forking out a ton of cash for Hikari? Could I add something to the food? I use Aqua Master which normally helps with growth but seems to add little to the white. Any ideas?

Good food is only part of the equation. Water quality, air and genetics play a much larger portion in the grand scope of things...........my .02

koi food like koi, vary a bit in thier expense,

So there is no magic bullet,No one size to fit all. If you buy better Koi then you should feed better food.
    If you have used a name brand food that you don't think will do it by past experience ,why don't you try something from a different manufacturer?
    keep in mind that water temperature, food protein %, all tie in to assist in koi development.
    I'm very much a fan of pro-biotics for better digestion. There is always argument on whether to use color food or not. But the truth is the majority of breeder's use it contrary to urban legend that they don't with their better koi.
    I think there are about 3 new foods out that I have not tried. Koi Chow, and Nozomi spirulina (50% protein). The third is Kodama's new mixture of wheatgerm and color food and I'm just now trying the color food. The fish readily take it and we'll see how well it does after about 6 weeks.

any over feeding that causes floating wastes needs to be stopped for 24 hrs to allow it to pass thru and then you start up again the day after with half the amount you previously fed that got them in trouble. The you can inch back up and stop short when you feel you've reached the limit.

when it comes to many things Koi, it's good to hear what other's think but ultimately you'll have to try some and see for yourself. Years ago, when I first started to participate in chat lines, my favorite response to this question used to be:

Quality is like buying Oates....if your happy with oates that have already passed thru the horse, they will cost a little cheaper. But if you want good clean fresh oates then you must pay a fair price for them.

But now i try and be a little kinder, but ultimately have not changed my mind....you get what you pay for. I'd rather have you have fewer koi of higher quality so you can feed less of the higher priced spread
    Dick Benbow

Banned

Fair price, Great results.

Sounds stupid but Miracle Koi Food. "I" now have monsters. L

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post

Quality is like buying Oates....if your happy with oates that have already passed thru the horse, they will cost a little cheaper. But if you want good clean fresh oates then you must pay a fair price for them.
    Dick, I love it!!! You mind I use this whenever a noob ask that question? I'll give you full credit!

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post

any over feeding that causes floating wastes needs to be stopped for 24 hrs to allow it to pass thru and then you start up again the day after with half the amount you previously fed that got them in trouble. The you can inch back up and stop short when you feel you've reached the limit.
    Dick, please explain this statement a bit more? so floating feces means you are feeding too much? I feed a mixture of saki hikari growth and color and sinking pellets made by hikari for SFF. I have a few pieces of feces floating in the corners of my pond ( pushed there by the air stream from the bottom drains) every day and my koi are very happy and growing well. Some of the floating feces are tansparent and some not. Not that I want to study koi phoo but you can actually see the hikari germ doing it's work on the feces.