Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Koi - acoustic form

Koi - acoustic form

Ian plays guitar,... he's to humble to admit he is very good. I enjoy listening to him play - lately he's on a Beatles kick, I love Black Bird! Anyways, that's not the point of this post... so let me get to it. Not only does Ian play guitar but he's taken an (obsessive) interest in building them. He started his first guitar build several weekends ago. He's a builder by trade and has a natural knack for woodworking. In the past few years most everything Ian has made/built (in his spare time) has had a Koi theme to it. This guitar he's making is no different. I think he's doing a wonderful job and wanted to show off what he's doing - the guitar isn't finished yet but when it's complete I will post a proper picture.

carving for the inlay

... here are some pics of the top/sound board

... top is sitka spruce and the koi & pick guard are black walnut

...and the head piece.

Ian is already planning the second guitar to build,... this first has been quite the learning experience - mostly for me as I watch him do it

Kind Regards,
    Terri

Nisai
    Highly creative, combining three loves (music,woodworking and koi) after the guitar is completed hang it on the wall when not being used.....it will be a work of art.

c

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_&_Terri View Post
    Ian plays guitar,... he's to humble to admit he is very good. I enjoy listening to him play - lately he's on a Beatles kick, I love Black Bird! Anyways, that's not the point of this post... so let me get to it. Not only does Ian play guitar but he's taken an (obsessive) interest in building them. He started his first guitar build several weekends ago. He's a builder by trade and has a natural knack for woodworking. In the past few years most everything Ian has made/built (in his spare time) has had a Koi theme to it. This guitar he's making is no different. I think he's doing a wonderful job and wanted to show off what he's doing - the guitar isn't finished yet but when it's complete I will post a proper picture.

carving for the inlay

... here are some pics of the top/sound board

... top is sitka spruce and the koi & pick guard are black walnut

...and the head piece.

Ian is already planning the second guitar to build,... this first has been quite the learning experience - mostly for me as I watch him do it

Kind Regards,
    Terri

Jumbo
    THAT is a very cool project Terri! I hope you'll post some pics of it when it's done.

Ask Ian to come and play it at my harvest in the Fall,... for a good harvest.

Best Wishes,
    Brady Brandwood

[quote=Ian_&_

Terri and what are his other 19 projects ?
    We will have to arrange a koi club meeting by a camp fire ,my grandson is a great singer may be he would come. So nice to see nearly all the ice gone from my pond but surprisingly the Canadian weed is a foot tall growing under the ice. Nice photos with new donated camera from daddy
    Regards
    Eugene

just thought I would update this,...

so the 'koi guitar' hasn't been totally completed but here are some pics,...

front

back
    Not bad for using up scrap (recycled) wood don'cha think?

He has been busy,... here is guitar #2 - he hasn't stopped playing it since he strung it up!

front

back

head stock

With Halloween around the corner he's gotten into the spirit with #4 (still in construction)

#3 is still in construction, similar to #2...

front

back

Another Koi themed guitar is in the plans, Ian wants more detail for the inlays and he is designing those atm... I'm just happy he's having fun

Brady,... next year we plan to attend your harvest (we'll be bringing friends ) - I'll be sure to pack a few of Ian's guitars.

Eugene, how did it go at your harvest? Sorry I missed it this year! I hope you (or someone) took lots of photo's!

Kind Regards,
    Terri

Very cool!!!
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Terri, those are gorgeous! I love inlay work...