Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Dainichi Kohaku

Dainichi Kohaku

Hi

I purchased this Dainichi Kohaku in March 2008 as tosai measuring 24cm. She is now 48cm and growing very well. You can see from the colouring on the scales that she streched quite a bit this summer (Im in South Africa).

What do you think of this kohaku. What is the trademarks of Dainichi Kohaku bloodline and what can i expect from it in the future?

Thanks

Wayne
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dainichi Kohaku-dainichikohaku.jpg   Dainichi Kohaku-dainichikohaku2009.jpg  

Tategoi
    Quote Originally Posted by WayneB View Post
    Hi

I purchased this Dainichi Kohaku in March 2008 as tosai measuring 24cm. She is now 48cm and growing very well. You can see from the colouring on the scales that she streched quite a bit this summer (Im in South Africa).

What do you think of this kohaku. What is the trademarks of Dainichi Kohaku bloodline and what can i expect from it in the future?

Thanks

Wayne

Very good growth on the fish and the shiroji and beni is very bright and clean. About your question, first you need to know what is the bloodline of this Kohaku. Dainichi has several bloodlines with different tradmarks. If it's an 2008 tosai you might have a GEN-X or RIKIDOZAN bloodline, 2 very different growth pattern.

She does seem to follow the Dainichi trademark "long and lanky" look when young, but if she grows in to those pec fins yowza! Knowing the oya line does make all the difference though

Yep, you gotta know which oyagoi it is.

You're doing great on growing it though, first pic showed a mado aki on shoulder with bad sashi, second showed it's not there anymore with alot better sashi.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    She does seem to follow the Dainichi trademark "long and lanky" look when young, but if she grows in to those pec fins yowza! Knowing the oya line does make all the difference though
    Thanks, i contacted my dealer to try and find out which oyagoi this one is from but i am afraid if he does not know then there will be no way of finding out.

How about just giving me the common charateristics of Dainichi Kohaku?...if possible.

Thanks, i contacted my dealer to try and find out which oyagoi this one is from but i am afraid if he does not know then there will be no way of finding out.

How about just giving me the common charateristics of Dainichi Kohaku?...if possible.
    Well, the one I mentioned seems to be a fairly universal trait for Dainichi Koi in general. If you want bulk early buy from another breeder because Dainichi has developed frames that stretch long and lanky to the point of making you wonder before they finally thicken up and finish at the same time Beyond that, you'll have to ask someone more knowledgable than me

What I find most encouraging about this one is the beni character. Persimmon color with very solid hoshi. The strength of the hi plates should be excellent and when this one grows large and bulks up the pattern should have a lot of interest.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Tategoi

Wayne Dainichi has several kohaku bloodlines. "RIKIDOZAN" is one of the most asked for kohaku, because it's the newest bloodline Dainichi is breeding it's only 2yrs old and the offspring tends to be very big. The 2nd is "GEN X JR." this bloodline is 3yrs old and very popular in Japan, because this bloodline is known for it's beautiful cluster red beni and it's "Tsuya" (luster and shiny skin). "KAGURA" is one of Dainichi's oldest kohaku bloodline, but I don't enough about it yet. I do know that Kagura kohaku is hard to find. I hope this helps you out. I have attached example pics to view all in order RIKIDOZAN, GEN X JR. and KAGURA.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dainichi Kohaku-dsc_0069_1600.jpg   Dainichi Kohaku-005-21inch.jpg   Dainichi Kohaku-dsc_0035_1600.jpg  

Thanks for the info...where do you get it? I have searched the net and can't find any refrences to dainichi blood lines or shall i rather say any usable info. I own the EA Koi 1 book and all they tell me is that dainichi kohaku takes about 15 years to achieve its full potential and then it will keep the quality for a long time.

As i said, i contact my dealer and he has no idea. What happened according to him is he was buying a lower quality grade tosai from dainichi when one of the breeders came to him and gave him 4 tosai of "special quality" - that's apparently what the breeder told the dealer. So far all 4 has turned out female.

Bobby, the guy with the stunning collection on this forum purchased 2 of them a sanke and a showa, i purchased the kohaku and the other sanke has not been sold yet. See the attached pic. Nobody want to take a chance on him wth the sumi mark on the head. And so this sanke is now swimming in the dealers grow -on pond at his home. This pic was taken in July 2008.

Thanks for the info...where do you get it? I have searched the net and can't find any refrences to dainichi blood lines or shall i rather say any usable info. I own the EA Koi 1 book and all they tell me is that dainichi kohaku takes about 15 years to achieve its full potential and then it will keep the quality for a long time.

As i said, i contact my dealer and he has no idea. What happened according to him is he was buying a lower quality grade tosai from dainichi when one of the breeders came to him and gave him 4 tosai of "special quality" - that's apparently what the breeder told the dealer. So far all 4 has turned out female.

Bobby, the guy with the stunning collection on this forum purchased 2 of them a sanke and a showa, i purchased the kohaku and the other sanke has not been sold yet. See the attached pic. Nobody want to take a chance on him wth the sumi mark on the head. And so this sanke is now swimming in the dealers grow -on pond at his home. This pic was taken in July 2008.

Hmmmm.... Maybe the dealer is getting a bit tired and will give a small discount? The sumi placement is a bit distracting, but I would not be deterred by it. Have folks look at the Narita advertisement on the inside cover of the February Nichirin. It features a Sanke with sumi in the middle of the face just below the nostrils. If the quality you see in person pleases you, don't worry about the one sumi mark.