Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Dang ol' mango

Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee View Post
    PB,

Before i tested a fish i'd test my well...maybe I'm sucking some bad water, but the koi still line up and lie side by side in the current coming off of the well?
    Um then get them both tested at the same time from the same place. Its not expensive. As for hanging out in the current? With gills the way they look in your photos those fish are gonna hang out anywhere that there is current so that they dont have to move so much to get some water flowing over their gills.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Daihonmei
    Hmmm let's keep this in perspective timewise...
    Day 1 ... (15 day since they started acting strange at feeding time..then it was just a little spookish and hesitant to feed...
    Koi start more and more lining up on the bottom,facing the inflow from the well, they do not clamp their fins they just lay there
    Day 4 A kohaku of 13 inches dies no obvious stress or gill damage
    Some more fish around the inflow some hanging with head down or up in the water column. (This is the behavior for most of this "event")
    Day 5 (or 6) A 15 inch Yamabuki died no obvious stress or gill damage
    Day 6 0r 7 A nice 15 inch sanke died
    Day 11 A 13 inch GR bekko died...Gills looked gunky
    Day 12 A 28 inch Showa died gills looked gunky and worn,skin very-stressed
    Day 13 An 18 inch Ochiba died, unstressed look but gills were gunky
    A 13 inch Doitsu yamabuki died, no stress just gunky gills
    A 15 inch Shiro utsuri died, stress reddened all over, gills gunky
    A 16 inch Asagi dies, a little stressed and a little gunk on gills
    Day 14 No deaths..thought there would be..fish are feeding a little, some schooling and swimming all around the lake
    Day 15 No deaths....yet today. fish are feeding a little more, But not normal behavior and still staying still alot of the time and some hang head down or up in the water column

Daihonmei
    Nine fish out of 70- 80 have died in over two weeks..many fish show some reddening, most have shown improvement in the last two days but I do not think any one fish is safe at this time. A few of these fish died before they showed any sign of being injured. But some fish that have had reddened areas for over a week are still alive and some of those are no longer showing any red, while others still are red in areas.
    there is a 15 inch Kumonryu that has redness showing at the inside edge of the gill slit but it is acting better now..i can still see the redness.

Sansai
    That's(no deaths) good news Luke.
    I realize your system has massive water flow through, but are there areas where the fish can get to and stuff collects? Dare I ask ......is your system as clean as you think it is?

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruth Rice View Post
    That's(no deaths) good news Luke.
    I realize your system has massive water flow through, but are there areas where the fish can get to and stuff collects? Dare I ask ......is your system as clean as you think it is?
    My system IS as CLEAN as I think it is...it may not be as clean as you think I think it is.
    the flow-out goes over a 2.5 ft wall which is the side of the pond, any fish that gets to that can't get back in, and dies..none really haven't gotten to that water...occasionally a small pond spawn makes it from the vortex through the 4 inch piping to the sump area when i purge the vortex.

Hi Luke
    I do not have the experience and do not qualify to make any remarks or suggestions to add to you stress. I would like to wish you well from South Africa and hope that you find a solution soon.

Only the best Koi wishes.

Sorry about your distress Luke.

Perhaps this might help a bit:

"As a matter of interest,I was speaking to XXXXXX and he was saying how when his fish first got sick and were hanging in the concrete ponds with messed up gills,he thought he simply had a bad gill/bacterial problem.He gradually dosed his ponds up with 0.8 %salt and added Bio talk.His fish "recovered" to the point where he thought they were fine and released them into the mud ponds.That's where his problems started.Obviously with the change in environment the Khv surfaced and his nightmare began."

We don't know nearly enough about KHV yet. There has been some hair raising case studies where a hobbiest did not add koi for over 2 years, yet they still lost everything to KHV. You need to get some bloodwork done to rule it out, PCR is not enough in your case. KHV does not always follow the text book.

Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee View Post
    check them out where?

a GR Bekko..actually quite nice for the variety...that was hovering earlier today was floating when i came home..still soft...
    What do you think?
    I scraped and scoped...didn't find it..wouldn't know what it is.
    Am I the only one seeing the nudge on the nose on pic 1? Might be a deformity as well but with where you are right now this would be a big concern.

I'm refering to the GR Bekko. The side shot of the head on page 4 of this discussion, reply #39.

Khv

I have experienced KHV close-up a couple of times - the difficult thing is the intensity varies. The dead fish sometimes look completely untouched without any signs of KHV - which for me is possibly the best indicator as koi dont die easily - your water volume is slowing the spread if it is KHV.I have seen 50 tosai in a potapool 90% wiped out in two weeks - in a 30000l pond in over a month 50% of fish are sometimes unaffected. Temp plays a role as does metabollic activity in spreading the disease faster. At some point no more will die and the disease will seamingly run its course. The remaining fish, although potentially "carriers", are generally unaffected, and will test negative for the virus. I have yet to be convinced that the virus can be carried through warmer tempretures without effecting other fish (this would nullify the effect of a quarantine facility) - although I know it is definately true for winter. These are my own personal observations but you need to test for KHV its the only way. I would also use a good viruscide like Virkon regularly at low dosage until your pond has been normalised - of course only if it is a bacteria/disease problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Erns View Post
    Am I the only one seeing the nudge on the nose on pic 1? Might be a deformity as well but with where you are right now this would be a big concern.

I'm refering to the GR Bekko. The side shot of the head on page 4 of this discussion, reply #39.
    No, you're not the only one. I noticed it also but without having testing done yet, I didn't want to say.

If fish continue to die, testing really needs to be done. With so many fish in the pond and so much water, the few fish that have died can not be considered a huge kill off. There are quite a few indicators of KHV but they could also be many other things. That's why testing needs to be done.

Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast