Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Dang ol' mango

Daihonmei
    well FINALLY someone points to the notched nose...Now why did I post a pic of only that koi with that abnormality?

Daihonmei
    ...and I just got off work and did my Night check with flashlight...one showa was "resting at the surface" till i tried to pick him up....i think it will be dead tomorrow

This might help:

http://www.mvangel.com/pond/KHV1_6.pdf

Not trying to offend you or T- you off Luke. But I think there is enough 'symptoms' to at least warrent a PCR test followed by a blood test should you get a weak positive on the PCR.

This article mentions that a koi can carry the virus for up to 40 years without showing any of the symptoms. (if you have it and I hold thumbs that you don't!!!)the size of your lake and your optimal conditions will slow the spread of the virus and quite possibly you will get a much larger percentage of survivers/carriers if you let it run it's course. Just rule it out. Aleast you will have the peace of mind that once you have let what ever you've got run it's course you will be able to add new koi to your collection without exposing them to carrier fish.

Daihonmei
    Showa still alive...maybe I'll net it and do a scrape and scope again

Serological tests shall be considered.

How is my favorite utsuri?

--D

Luke,
    Call Tom Holder at Koi Kennel Kare. He has Chorimine T and the price is right.
    Louie.

Daihonmei
    in this video you see Costia
    Pond Life: Fish Health: Costia (Ichthyobodo)

that is exactly what I see in my last scrape of this fish...down to the movement and the number of costia...So MG & F it is....

this is the latest death..an EN Showa tosai last year now nissai. it had a big upside..now it is on the down side of the soil...did I tell ya all I cut down the Mangos. I replanted with Japanese persimmons. i was gonna anyway. For two reasons; First the mangos are toxic. Second the mangos are evergreens and don't let the Sun hit the pond in the Winter..the Persimmons are diceduous...well and a third, the persimmons are harvested from Oct through Dec. so i will have fresh fruit for those months...

Costia? So the big question is....?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dang ol' mango-dscn1091.jpg   Dang ol' mango-dscn1092.jpg  

Sansai
    You did view the slide at 400X didn't you? I don't think you'd mistake it for something else if viewed at lower power........
    Sounds like you may never know if the mangos did the dirty deed...may very well be coincidence. At least now since you have replanted, they won't be a concern anymore.
    When I read of your dilema, it's times like these that I am glad we have such a small pond to treat.

So, what's the big question, Luke? ... Costia can wipe out a pond. Time to treat & turn off the constant in-flow. MG & F or ProformC will handle it.

Daihonmei
    yep mikeM..i gotta get to my cheap source for MG&F

Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast