Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Dang ol' mango

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruth Rice View Post
    You did view the slide at 400X didn't you? I don't think you'd mistake it for something else if viewed at lower power........
    Sounds like you may never know if the mangos did the dirty deed...may very well be coincidence. At least now since you have replanted, they won't be a concern anymore.
    When I read of your dilema, it's times like these that I am glad we have such a small pond to treat.

I didn't bother with what power i was at... I just saw alot of them there weebles wobblin across the slide and knew that was "different"...
    it being easter Week-end I'll also describe them as eggs rolling over head to tail

sorry you are having this problem but i am glad you have found the source of it.....good luck to you moving forward....i hope most of your fish will get through it ok.....

Sansai
    Luke, your description makes me think of chilodinella.....but that could just be because your Easter reference.
    Dr. J. always had a great way of describing chilo. He would liken it to a person taking their ear and placing it flat on the floor and rolling around sporatically-the ear part would look like chilo(the structures inside of the outline sortof look like an ear). Also costia look like little commas flitting about and they are much smaller in the same field. It would be neat if someone filmed a video of each at the same powers......
    MG & F will take care of both but can be hard on the gills to when they are damaged.....Good Luck.
    So I suppose you will not be KHV testing-I might if I showed.....if none other than to be sure.

Daihonmei
    I have no Idea how i could have KHV from the show and no one else does

Luke, a couple of years ago, my sister got a couple of fish from Orlando and came up with a very resistant strain of Costia. The fish would get better from the ProForm and within 3 weeks, they'd start all over again. The only thing that knocked it out was a very strong dip of PP that Doug told me about. If the ProForm doesn't work, you may need to take drastic measures.

I'm glad you have a starting place.

Glad you finally found it Luke, good luck with the treatment... costia can sometimes be a bugger to get rid of.

Daihonmei
    Today will be Black Easter at the Frisbee Home..I am about to treat the lake with 22ppm Formalin/malachite green..
    if not too many die we'll call it "Blue Sunday"... if none die we'll call it Green Sunday....

GL to you and the feesh.

Grant

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_&_Terri View Post
    Glad you finally found it Luke, good luck with the treatment... costia can sometimes be a bugger to get rid of.
    I'd love "it" if I found "it", but this is just one thing "it" could be....
    if in fact what is killing the fish is costia then there is another question...Accepted theory is that Costia is an opportunistic parasite...the Primary cause is still unknown..So we really don't know what it is...was?
    If Costia was "it" It would have had to come to a pristine population of koi..I can pretty much guarantee that lakeLuke (even after the Formalin and Malachite Green) has every pathogen in it but perhaps KHV ( Heck my belief is that KHV is in every pond to... just like 75% of the population has herpes..until it manifests itself it is not a problem to the individual.

or some Super costia strain got introduced/ or the mango trees are actually at the root of it all.

If F&MG does stop the symptoms then at least we can rule out the big bad bugaboo KHV..but even if the F&MG doesn't stop the problem it doesn't even mean that costia is not the problem because Costia has a way of coming back again and again....

Good luck Luke!! I hope the rest of your Koi make it threw this.

Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast