Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Dang ol' mango

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by schildkoi View Post
    So what is different this year than years past as it relates to the Mangos? I'd think that "if" they were the cause that you would have had problems in previous years?

Steve
    I've had a small fish or two die each year...who knows why. I planted the trees from seeds before lakeluke had any concrete in the hole...You know me, i can't afford mature trees So i planted some seeds and these are those...I planted seedlings here because i wasn't sure what would happen. the bad thing about plants from seeds is that i found literature that said the seeds can produce a more toxic plant; while grafted trees are lthe less toxic varietie. The Big difference between this year and last is the size and position of the tree in relation to the lake. last year the flowers fell mainly in the raceway. This year the tree is so tall the wind is blowing the top flowers into the pond and the side flowers can fall straight down into the pond.

Pappabear,
    Yep mangos are in the same family as poison ivy. Urishol oil is produced by both...and people and animals do not react the same to it as they do other irritants. With other irritants the common reaction is to build up an immunity to it over time/exposure. NOT SO WITH THIS GROUP OF PLANTS! Everyone is born with a varying amount of immunity, with each exposure the immunity is worn down...some people have a huge amount of immunity.
    the upshod is that the mango farms around here loose workers every year because the workers wear out their immunity. Now even the migrant workers MUST wear rubber gloves when handling mangos.

And I like the veiwpoint of the mangos abusing the koi doubly...a very ungrateful plant.

Daihonmei
    well now I've been hurt...this was an EN sanke I got from Hung at the 2008 CFKS...I was kinda likin' this one
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dang ol' mango-mango-poisoned-sanke-en.jpg  

Daihonmei
    High winds and rain...
    the skimmer with mango stems and seeds
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dang ol' mango-mango-flowers-skimmer.jpg  

Daihonmei
    There isn't much i can do now...if I cut the top outta the trees they'll blow into the lake

Southern, CA Member of Inland Koi Society, Koi Club of San Diego & ZNA SoCal
    Sorry to hear that Luke-
    Need to post a pic since you have cut down the Mango tree

To many plant and tree leaves are poison to our Kois.
    Might be time for a 50+ percent water change.

Is it just me or do the eyes look sunken on the sanke? Slime coat around the head doesn't 'look right'..?

Would it be possible to have the Lakes water tested, detailed analysis done, to see if the mango trees are indeed a contributing factor?

Oh, and have you scraped and scoped? (just had to ask )

Sorry this is happening Luke...
    Good info on the mango trees, didn't know about that - learning something new each day.

Kind Regards,
    Terri

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by RookieKoiGuy View Post
    Sorry to hear that Luke-
    Need to post a pic since you have cut down the Mango tree

To many plant and tree leaves are poison to our Kois.
    Might be time for a 50+ percent water change.

RKG
    if you look in the foreground of the first pic in this thread you can see a three inch pipe . That is my well water, 2000-3000 GPH.

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_&_Terri View Post
    Is it just me or do the eyes look sunken on the sanke? Slime coat around the head doesn't 'look right'..?

Would it be possible to have the Lakes water tested, detailed analysis done, to see if the mango trees are indeed a contributing factor?

Oh, and have you scraped and scoped? (just had to ask )

Sorry this is happening Luke...
    Good info on the mango trees, didn't know about that - learning something new each day.

Kind Regards,
    Terri
    Checked the water for the usual..the most off reading was the pH. 8.0 is normal for this body of water though.
    Nope the fish aren't looking bad at all FOR BEING DEAD FOR AWHILE. The sanke was different in the fact that it was floating. The other two were on the bottom, dead.

The gills do look a little punky, but that would be expected if they have poison ivy oil going through them, and they react to it.

Southern, CA Member of Inland Koi Society, Koi Club of San Diego & ZNA SoCal
    Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee View Post
    RKG
    if you look in the foreground of the first pic in this thread you can see a three inch pipe . That is my well water, 2000-3000 GPH.
    If your pumping that much well water an hour/I would drain whole lake-clean the bottom and refill.

I know its a pain in the azzz. A good place to start.

It doesn't take alot of waste to become poisonous.

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by RookieKoiGuy View Post
    If your pumping that much well water an hour/I would drain whole lake-clean the bottom and refill.

I know its a pain in the azzz. A good place to start.

It doesn't take alot of waste to become poisonous.
    so where ya gonna put 70-80 koi for the cleaning? and at 2500gph it would take a whole day to refill...and with this much water going through the system it is taking it out at a good rate.
    and the lake is clearing. The biofilm is maturing, after 4 years...The whole herd is just sitting, like they can't catch their breath and it hurts to move.
    back in the Summer of '73 i was a YMCA Camp Counselor. not a day camp a real Summer Camp. We had a kid "sent" to us once. he was pretty much a little 13 year old DICK. He decided to start his own little campfire one afternoon. We caught him; "Where there's Smoke..."
    he had chosen to go to abrushpile we had dumped back in the woods from when we cleaned the camp up before uopening it for the Summer.
    We had to medi-vac him out..he had breathed in Smoke from the Dried out poison ivy mixed in with all he other brush. i am of the OPINION (and only an opinion) that these koi have some of this Ushirol oil on their gills and in their digestive tracts and are really hurting..I believe it will kill a couple more, maybe 5 or 10. the damage is done.
    the good thing is that the koi are in water. On us the oil doesn't have a chance to get off our skin, at least the koi have water flushing their gills....

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast