Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Dang ol' mango

Southern, CA Member of Inland Koi Society, Koi Club of San Diego & ZNA SoCal
    I think the more water you drain the better off you will be.
    If you drain it down to 1ft you wont have to setup a QT.

I wish I had free water at my disposal so I could pump water 24/7 without having to treat or dechlor. Eliminating the all but a solids filter/vortex.

Most of our pond problems come from the last inch of crap in our filters bottom.
    The scum you cant get rid of without taking apart the filteration. (IMHO)

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by RookieKoiGuy View Post
    I think the more water you drain the better off you will be.
    If you drain it down to 1ft you wont have to setup a QT.

I wish I had free water at my disposal so I could pump water 24/7 without having to treat or dechlor. Eliminating the all but a solids filter/vortex.

Most of our pond problems come from the last inch of crap in our filters bottom.
    The scum you cant get rid of without taking apart the filteration. (IMHO)
    You are transplanting your concerns into my situation.
    the amount of water flowing through my system is easy flushing any toxin in the water out. But if the koi put the flowers and stems in their mouths and then crush then they are getting the toxin in a concentrated form at that time.
    THAT is my concern. Not if it is in the water column. If it were in significant amounts so that it could affect the koi then they would have lesions or slime coat issues.

Meg
    "]I figured I brought home a bug from the show after the water checked out OK...But i wasn't gonna cry that the sky was falling till I actually had some real sky on the lawn... And besides no telling...maybe they brought home a non-lethal bug or something. I did add koi from dealers i trust so i just sat and watched...but this morning when the koi looked like they were headed south once again and the Yamabuki was dead I figured it out..."

just saying..........its a gamble we are all warned about, sure its the tree?

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee View Post
    Yep mangos are in the same family as poison ivy. Urishol oil is produced by both...and people and animals do not react the same to it as they do other irritants. With other irritants the common reaction is to build up an immunity to it over time/exposure. NOT SO WITH THIS GROUP OF PLANTS! Everyone is born with a varying amount of immunity, with each exposure the immunity is worn down...some people have a huge amount of immunity. the upshod is that the mango farms around here loose workers every year because the workers wear out their immunity. Now even the migrant workers MUST wear rubber gloves when handling mangos.
    So now that I learned this I'm probably in danger. I have tons of poison oak on the farm and go through small breakouts every year. Once I contracted it systemically which was really nasty.. even my throat and eyeballs swelled up. But I handle and prune a Mango tree all the time and never had a problem. Ignorance is bliss.

Best of luck getting things sorted out down there.

Tosai
    Have you thought about getting some scuba gear and cleaning up the bottom? Also maybe something has changed with the well water?

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by cammo View Post
    Have you thought about getting some scuba gear and cleaning up the bottom? Also maybe something has changed with the well water?
    I use an effluent pump on a stick to vacuum the bottom...and i snorkel in the pond as regular as sunshine (rain ain't regular down here), and have no worries it is a thin algal mat on the bottom.
    I will give you this; the bottom is darker and is coming off in bigger hunks so the biofilm is changing rapidly..but not to the extent it would be killling fish. and they are not coming near the surface they are staying deep.

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    "]I figured I brought home a bug from the show after the water checked out OK...But i wasn't gonna cry that the sky was falling till I actually had some real sky on the lawn... And besides no telling...maybe they brought home a non-lethal bug or something. I did add koi from dealers i trust so i just sat and watched...but this morning when the koi looked like they were headed south once again and the Yamabuki was dead I figured it out..."

No I am not sure...even if it is not the trees this time they are a concern and i was gonna get rid of them one day...one day next year maybe?
    I am trying to eliminate what I can physically eliminate

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post

What she said

Luke, I get the possibility that the mango blossoms may be the cause of the recent deaths, and I think, given your research you are on to something for sure...

but

...you didn't answer my question... have you scraped and scoped? Rule out the possibility of parasites.... at least for peace of mind - and give more validation to the mango tree being the cause.

Daihonmei
    catching a single fish is outta the question in lakeluke..I did think I was gonna get one. Earlier today one of the medium sized koi was head-standing and a smaller koi was grazing on it. i went to get the net and when i came back they both were gone...and a dead fish ain't worth scoping...
    No dead fish today but like i already stated, one should be dead tomorrow morning. As a whole the herd was up and moving today. but then they settled to the bottom till dinner time this evening....Some are behaving great..others are still suffering.

If they keep dying for a week THEN I will consider the bug thing. The "Poison ivy/mango oil thing has to run its course.

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast