Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Dang ol' mango

I hope you get it sorted out soon without losing any more fish.

Southern, CA Member of Inland Koi Society, Koi Club of San Diego & ZNA SoCal
    I have found parasites 8-10 hrs after kois died.

Daihonmei
    no deaths...koi act better then worse...the saga continues

Daihonmei
    more negatively impacting weather

Mostly Cloudy and Windy 83F
    Feels Like
    87F

Updated Apr 6 10:45 a.m. ET Indialantic Live Webcams UV Index: 3 Moderate Wind: From SSW at 25 mph
    gusting to 28 mph Humidity: 63% Pressure: 29.85 in. Dew Point: 69F Visibility: 10.0 miles Download Now Free Desktop Weather

25MPH WINDS FROM THE SSW gusting to 28...
    well i go out every few minutes and skim off the few mango blossoms that were left on the tops of the trees

Fish are quite active but irritated....
    lat night they were doing a behavior that some of you will start thinking about parasites whghen you read about it...
    they would take in a gob of pellets and then spit them out, or shake their heads and try and go backwards while shaking their heads or spend alot of time chewing them up before they could swallow them. they also didn't like big globs . They normal fight to get the big globs, but not yesterday, they wanted small ones...
    typical of so many problems. i know it, But it has been a week since the first koi died, and only two other fish out of 70+ koi have died. about 80% show some behavior that could be deemed stress-related, but not the same fish each day. and some fish have not shown any signs of feeling bad... particularly the new fish, which adds credence to the mango poisoning THEORY because the old fish have been repeatedly exposed to the mangos and therefore many of them could have lost the resistance they had.
    We will see.

Daihonmei
    now the gusts are up to 36 MPH....

Mostly Cloudy and Windy 85°F
    Feels Like
    86°F

Updated Apr 6 01:05 p.m. ET Indialantic Live Webcams UV Index: 5 Moderate Wind: From SW at 23 mph
    gusting to 36 mph Humidity: 49% Pressure: 29.79 in. Dew Point: 64°F Visibility: 10.0 miles Download Now Free Desktop Weather

And yes I know that you shouldn't trim trees (actually chop the hell down) in high winds, especially when they are in powerlines and will blow into the lake...
    too bad, I have had enough..mangos gone
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dang ol' mango-mango-gone-.jpg   Dang ol' mango-mango-poison-source-gone-b.jpg  

Sansai
    Luke you are not the only one that had some problems with fish coming back from the show. I had pretty much had the exact same problems, clamping, bottom sitting, spitting, tail standing. I also noticed some redness on their sides.
    I netted my worst fish and scoped and came up with nothing. It might be that my microscope skills are not up to par since I have not had the need to sharpen them recently. I rarely buy new fish and was not planning on adding any this year, hence the reason why I had no QT setup.
    I made the decision to treat anyway. After 2 doses of proform c all of the fish were in much better shape. I finished with 2 more doses of profrom c and prazi. All fish are back to normal now and I did not lose any.
    The offending fish never showed any signs of problems, like yours and i'm chalking it up to, that they were more used to the parasites since they were coming from the mud.
    I just don't buy the mango theory since I had the same problems from the same group of fish and I don't have any mangos.

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    Luke you are not the only one that had some problems with fish coming back from the show. I had pretty much had the exact same problems, clamping, bottom sitting, spitting, tail standing. I also noticed some redness on their sides.
    I netted my worst fish and scoped and came up with nothing. It might be that my microscope skills are not up to par since I have not had the need to sharpen them recently. I rarely buy new fish and was not planning on adding any this year, hence the reason why I had no QT setup.
    I made the decision to treat anyway. After 2 doses of proform c all of the fish were in much better shape. I finished with 2 more doses of profrom c and prazi. All fish are back to normal now and I did not lose any.
    The offending fish never showed any signs of problems, like yours and i'm chalking it up to, that they were more used to the parasites since they were coming from the mud.
    I just don't buy the mango theory since I had the same problems from the same group of fish and I don't have any mangos.
    Now ya tell me.
    well I am still gonna keep mangos away from the lake.
    My problems and your problems are both ethereal. I had two that were hanging out near the surface this morning so i went and got the 'scope and a blue bowl..and they were both gone before i picked up the net.
    I also have the anecdotal fact that the fish have died the day after a good strong rainshower or high winds from the west. Plus this happened last year to a lesser degree.

Sansai
    I told you a couple of days ago. Check the posts. You just were not listening.

Daihonmei
    check them out where?

a GR Bekko..actually quite nice for the variety...that was hovering earlier today was floating when i came home..still soft...
    What do you think?
    I scraped and scoped...didn't find it..wouldn't know what it is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dang ol' mango-mango-poisoning-bekko-nose-crimp.jpg   Dang ol' mango-mango-poisoning-bekko-gill-b.jpg   Dang ol' mango-mango-poisoning-bekko-gill.jpg  

Gills look pretty worn out. Keep us posted. I have a lot of mango trees near my tilapia pond in the Philippines. But never encountered this kind of problem.

Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast