Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Dang ol' mango

Daihonmei

Dang ol' mango

I did a little deforestation today. This photo is Pre De-forestation earlier today
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dang ol' mango-mangos-west-over-lake.jpg  

Daihonmei
    On Monday I went out and found this fish dead in the "lake". I wasn't too upset. i loose a fish every now and then..there are about 70 fish in there now.
    But I looked around and noticed...the vast majority were either sitting on the bottom or swimming around moving their lips more than normal.
    I went out and bought a new test kit. Everything was perfect. So I just kept an eye on things... A little flashing... koi acting a little spookish...staying deep and still more than normal. But some were swimming normal...and all the hundreds of cichlids are swimming normally?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dang ol' mango-gills-kohaku-march-30-lakeluke.jpg  

Tosai
    I notice you got a few trees around the lake/pond, could any large leaves or even mangos have fallen in the water?

Daihonmei
    and the koi were doing better till this morning.... When i saw this dead yamabuki on the bottom... and the majority were once again acting strangely...they were as still as statues just sitting on the bottom most of em.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dang ol' mango-april-2-09-yamabuki-mango-poisoning.jpg  

Daihonmei
    the two looked good for being dead for an undetermined amount of time...
    I figured I brought home a bug from the show after the water checked out OK...But i wasn't gonna cry that the sky was falling till I actually had some real sky on the lawn... And besides no telling...maybe they brought home a non-lethal bug or something. I did add koi from dealers i trust so i just sat and watched...but this morning when the koi looked like they were headed south once again and the Yamabuki was dead I figured it out...
    it rained Sunday and the koi were acting piddly and one was dead on Monday.
    it rained real hard yesterday and the same thing was there this morning and the koi were behaving the same too

i remember last year that a couple of koi "just died" around this time...when the mangos were in bloom...

and here is what i read
    When mango trees are in bloom, it is not uncommon for people to suffer itching around the eyes, facial swelling and respiratory difficulty, even though there is no airborne pollen. The few pollen grains are large and they tend to adhere to each other even in dry weather. The stigma is small and not designed to catch windborne pollen. The irritant is probably the vaporized essential oil of the flowers which contains the sesquiterpene alcohol, mangiferol, and the ketone, mangiferone.

So tomorrow the rest of the mango trees growing over the lake will be in the front yard for trash pick up.

the fish are behaving just as I'd imagine fish would who have been feeding at the surface and sucked in some of that oil onto their gills. And the little ones like the two that died probably eat the small flowers.
    We will see.... we will wait and see...

hopefully the mango blossoms were the problem and this will be the end of it for you.......

Daihonmei
    We'll see, i figure it'll take at least a week to be sure

Could be, Luke. Some folks react to Mango as if it were poison ivy.

It would seem ironic if the Mango's you've been feeding with culled Koi all this time were chumming the water for their next meal. I hadn't heard that Mango's had anything toxic about them, but your research is pretty revealing. Hope that turns out to be the only problem.

Honmei
    So what is different this year than years past as it relates to the Mangos? I'd think that "if" they were the cause that you would have had problems in previous years?

Steve
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast