Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hard water

Tosai

Hard water

Hi , First of all this website is awesome!!

My question is how do I soften my water? My pond is approx. 3 weeks old

5' x 6.5' x 3'

I have searched all over the web and koi-bito , and they all give me alternative answers instead of a direct answers. As I am not familiar with koi terminology I am not fully able to understand some of the threads. SO please be kind and help a noob

ps. my fish has been dieing (started with 18 now down to 5) they have what it appears to be ich. Ive tried using Quickcure but the pond is still new so the quick cure kills the beneficial bacteria (correct me if im wrong) the fishes are still small 3"-5".
    -bee

first question.....how hard is your water? And while you are testing, please also provide pH, ammonia and nitrites. Also the water temperature. It would also be helpful to have the volume of the pond in gallons and a little information about your filter set-up. And is there salt in the pond?

Quick cure should not hurt your bacteria. It is not an antibacterial, just an anti parasitic. Also, can you actually see the white spots of ich on them or was ich a guess?

It generally takes around 6 weeks for the beneficial bacteria to build an effective population. During this period, it is common to suffer 'new pond syndrome'. Ammonia and nitrite levels can directly harm the fish, or weaken them such that they are more susceptible to parasites and harmful bacteria. New fish added to the pond likely carry some parasites, even if so few they can not be found even under a microscope. Virtually all fish do. A pond in the process of becoming established provides the environment where the parasites can thrive. You may have a difficult month ahead. When things settle down, do not go buying replacement fish for those that died. Wait several months and see how large the survivors grow. You will be surprised how full the pond seems with 5 koi.

Hi Beekoi, and welcome to Bito!

If you're looking for straight answers, this is the place to get 'em. That's for sure.

I did a quick calculation on your pond volume based on your dimensions. If your pond has a completely flat bottom (no bowl shape to it) it's holding about 730 gallons (not including external filtration components and plumbing) As you probably already know, this is not a lot of water in the koi pond world. Consequently, you're going to have to work a little harder to keep things even for your fish. Daily monitoring of your parameters (pH, ammonia, nitrite at least), covering it during cold snaps or heat waves, regular cleaning etc.

Do you have a filtration system in place? And if so, could you describe it? Also, could you describe how the water is circulated through the filters as well? They may seem like redundant questions when you were only asking how to soften your water, but there's more to maintaining the water than pouring the appropriate chemical in. We can help you set things up to avoid spending lots of dough on chemicals/band aids which is far better for the fish, and your wallet!

Anyway, welcome.

Good responses already but let me chime in to agree.

Your first priority needs to be dealing with the immediate problem you have which is high mortality. I wish you had found us before you started as we could have advised you how to avoid the loss of 13 fish before you ever bought them.

Your pond is very small and 18 fish of any size is too many, especially for a beginner. It takes time for a well designed pond to become established with good bacteria and stable water conditions so the massive die off was almost inevitable with such a large number at the beginning.

We need to know what tests you are running, the exact numbers you are getting from those tests, the details about your pond/filtration/pumps, etc... All of these thing are essential for giving you the tools you need to get your pond on the road to health and the health of your pond IS the health of your fish. It may all seem a bit overwhelming but it all matters and knowing these things will only help you to be able to enjoy your Koi without the stress of high maintenance and mortality.

These are the tests you should be running daily as you get things underway.
    Ph, Ammonia ppm, Nitrite ppm, Nitrate ppm.
    Weekly tests.
    Kh, Gh, Salt.
    All of these tests should be readily available at any pond store worth doing business with.

You will also need to run these tests on your source water to determine what to expect in response to fresh water changes. If your water is from a well you need to aerate the water for 8-12 hrs before testing ph and kh in order to degas CO2. If you are using municipal water you need to test for chlorine/chloramine and have dechlorinator and/or Ammonia binder on hand to use during water changes.

Finally, let me suggest that you read this pdf on pond design and function.
    Nishikigoi Pond Filteration.pdf (application/pdf Object)
    It is one of the best primers on pond and filter construction and function I've ever seen and was written in laymans terms by one of our senior members. It will explain a LOT about how pond systems operate and help you to understand a great deal.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Tosai
    Hello! first of all I want to thank you with all the warm welcomes

carolinagirl: my water is about 300ppm (according to Quick Dip 6 in 1 test strip by Jungle)

Nitrate : 20ppm

Nitrite : 0.5ppm

Hardness: 300 ppm

Chlorine: 0 ppm

Alkalinity: 180 -300ppm (the colors of the strip was between those two colors)

PH: 8.4 (as alkaline as these test strips can go)

I have not yet bought a thermometer for my pond yet

And the pond is boxed shaped

as for filter setup Its a simple Water submersible Pump going into a tetra pond pf2

And yes there are salt in the pond

Thanks papabear for the great read!

one more test....and probably the most important test at this point.....ammonia. Since you have a nitrite reading, you probably have some ammonia reading as well. Try and see if you can get a test kit that uses the little vials of water and drops....the strip tests are a good first indicator that there may be problems, but are not terribly accurate.

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    one more test....and probably the most important test at this point.....ammonia. Since you have a nitrite reading, you probably have some ammonia reading as well. Try and see if you can get a test kit that uses the little vials of water and drops....the strip tests are a good first indicator that there may be problems, but are not terribly accurate.

there are 3 local aquariums near me. Ill give them a visit when I get out of class.

Tosai
    The water temps are about 65-67 and 1 fish died today

Did you get the ammonia test kit yet? How are the fish acting....are they just sitting around with their pec fins sort of to their sides? Reddish looking?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast