Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Mink

Mink

The ice went out 2weeks ago from the mud pond and the water was crystal clear . There was no trace of the few test fish I left in the pond neither a single frog. A sure sign of mink in the mud pond . Had the pond nearly drained but we had a record rain and it filled again then snow . I spotted a mink and now I am going to drain completely and patroll with shotgun and pistol . Rat traps as well as cage traps are set . Fish and mink can not live together.
    Regards
    Eugene

Sometimes it takes a professional trapper...

......this is the very large mink caught in Iowa Dec. 08, AFTER it devastated my BIL's koi pond. Every single koi had scrapes, eaten areas, or missing finnage. Devastation for sure. Most are still alive, but whether they will heal, who knows??? One koi had it's entire lip and partial face eaten away and still swimming.
    Just a note. His pond is covered each winter with a nice greenhouse type structure. The mink was a sole male who wandered in from the adjacent woods and had been burrowing under the greenhouse sides and slipping into the pond unnoticed for some time. It took a pro. trapper some 27 traps set to finally catch him. Ultimately they found his lair in those woods in a timber/branch pile. Upon clearing it away they found lots of 'leftovers'.
    Yes, Eugene, they are not to be tolerated, and certainly will kill for the fun of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mink-mink1220081.jpg  

Yikes! Any experience with Otters?

Man, that's one sad story. I'm curious if anyone has had experience with otters in their ponds? There's a roving trio of the little buggers that show up in a retention pond about 150 yards from my beloved koi pool. These guys seem very skittish and disappear at the even the slightest provocation, not to be seen again for weeks at a time. I've relied on a 6 foot cedar fence around my property so far, assuming they wouldn't dare come that close to human habitation, but I may be living on borrowed time. Mink are efficient killers, but I believe an otter is even more deadly on fish and could burrow under my fence with ease if it really wanted to have at my pond.

almostgeorgia,
    If I was you I'd make sure that retention pond stayed well stocked with Otter Snacks. Don't want them to have a reason to roam around the yard. A one day wipe out for sure if they pay a visit.

Eugene,
    I'm glad we don't have Mink around these parts. They are notorious and I'd hate to be in your shoes right now. Just don't let PETA get wind of your Mink machinations...

Hmmm................ Mink Fur lined handle on the Koi net
    Justice can be sweet

Quote Originally Posted by almostgeorgia View Post
    Man, that's one sad story. I'm curious if anyone has had experience with otters in their ponds? There's a roving trio of the little buggers that show up in a retention pond about 150 yards from my beloved koi pool. These guys seem very skittish and disappear at the even the slightest provocation, not to be seen again for weeks at a time. I've relied on a 6 foot cedar fence around my property so far, assuming they wouldn't dare come that close to human habitation, but I may be living on borrowed time. Mink are efficient killers, but I believe an otter is even more deadly on fish and could burrow under my fence with ease if it really wanted to have at my pond.
    Sorry to burst your bubble but otters would just climb over the fence.
    They have very sharp claws and do have climbing abilty although not as good as cats. I have a friend whose pond was emptied in one night by an otter climbing over a 6 foot wall. The majority of the koi was 30-40cm.

According to wikipedia "In water as warm as 10°C (50°F) an otter needs to catch 100 grams (3 oz) of fish per hour to survive. "

Sansai
    Good luck catching him Eugene.
    Jan---how terrible for your BIL!

Hi, Ruth.
    Yes, my BIL has had quite a rough winter, both with extreme weather and the *#@+!&* mink. The trapper wanted to keep the mink so that was fine with everyone. I said it was too bad mink don't like wild turkeys........did anyone notice them eating in the photograph?? My BIL feeds them cracked corn daily; they are like pets. So are the beautiful deer that come to eat grain.

And, koi hobbyists are tough. He will not give up. I am going on a road trip soon to deliver more koi to him....8-10 from our pond; Bag and box and leave for a 14 hr. haul. His Q tank is ready.