Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why would the new head of the AKCA KHA program say this statement...

Why would the new head of the AKCA KHA program say this statement...

Why would Karen Pattist the new head of the AKCA KHA program, hand out brochures and make a statement at the San Diego Seminar that NO one should buy fish from anyone who is not a part of the certified Dealer best health program?

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by aquitori View Post
    Why would Karen Pattist the new head of the AKCA KHA program, hand out brochures and make a statement at the San Diego Seminar that NO one should buy fish from anyone who is not a part of the certified Dealer best health program?
    I'd have to get all the particulars. I bet that isn't a stand alone statement, or was taken out of context, or was said in confidence...or is gossip.

Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee View Post
    I'd have to get all the particulars. I bet that isn't a stand alone statement, or was taken out of context, or was said in confidence...or is gossip.

Luke, I think you are wrong. I do recall that statment being made at her seminar and I am pretty sure it is also on the brochure she handed out... Give me a few minutes and I will look in my seminar binder.

Yep I found it here it is, read the last sentence

Actually I am pretty shocked that the new head of the KHA program, would ever make a statement like that, let alone put it in writing.

If I recall correctly there are 5 koi dealers that participated in the beta testing. I also remember that NONE of them advertise in KOi USA, so for a newly appointed KHA Head, and also a new director on the AKCA board, to make a statement like that, it is kind of like cutting your own nose to spite your face.

I mean if I was a koi dealer and I advertised in Koi USA and supported there functions such as the seminar, and koi club shows. donations etc... and I did not feel like I needed to participate in the DBHP, as I thought it was none of AKCA's business to tell me how to run my business I would be pretty pissed, by her statement, and would consider pulling my ad from the magazine and not supporting the clubs and all the other events.

I sincerely doubt that AKCA and Koi USA support or endorse her statements and personal feelings.

Daihonmei
    well she sure is in a pickle...

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy M. View Post
    Actually I am pretty shocked that the new head of the KHA program, would ever make a statement like that, let alone put it in writing.

If I recall correctly there are 5 koi dealers that participated in the beta testing. I also remember that NONE of them advertise in KOi USA, so for a newly appointed KHA Head, and also is a new director on the AKCA board, to make a statement like that, it is kind of like cutting your own nose to spite your face. I mean if I was a koi dealer and I advertised in Koi USA and supported there functions such as the seminar, and koi club shows. donations etc... and I did not feel like I needed to participate in the DBHP, as I thought it was none of AKCA's business to tell me how to run my business I would be pretty pissed, by her statement, and would consider pulling my ad from the magazine and not supporting the clubs and all the other events.

I sincerely doubt that AKCA and Koi USA support or endorse her statements and personal feelings.
    No, As Editor of KOI USA AND an experience hobbyist, I do not agree with Karen's statement regarding preferences towards BDHP certified dealers. For the record, two of the initial certified dealers do advertise in KOI USA through the $240/year dealer listing. As a Hobbyist, I believe in supporting dealers that support the hobby. Many dealers do this in a number of different ways on a local, regional or national level and although as Editor of KOI USA I would prefer that they advertise in the magazine, I also understand as a businessman that they must weigh all of their business expenditures and choose from a wide variety of options in that regard.

Likewise, dealers must also choose their business practices based upon their business. The BDHP program is an excellent opportunity for the less informed dealer to learn and upgrade their koi health practices. Many longer term dealers who elect or elected not to participate may already have substantial safeguards already in place. In addition, even following the BDHP procedures religiously is NOT a gaurantee that a koi is KHV free and in that regard, statements made regarding participants over non participants can give a false sense of security to the buyer. The BDHP program is simply designed to not only educate participants, but also to let buyers understand that those dealers have been educated and at least at the time of certification were exercising good koi health protocols. This is NOT to say or even insinuate that those who are not certified do not also practice good koi health protocols and to state or insinuate otherwise is simply not true.

Bottom line for hobbyists is to know what are, and what are not good health practices and also know whether or not (for yourself) whether those practices are being adhered to. Think of automobile mechanics, does being "certified" mean that they are "good" or "honest"? Does not being certified mean the opposite? Not in my experiences.

Steve Childers
    Editor KOI USA
    and
    Hobbyist
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

well she sure is in a pickle...

it sure looks that way.........

Luke have you seen the koi transport paper, Karen is also one of the 4 writers on that paper, it is 67 pages long.

I spent a few hours going over the paper, and my conclusion was, that none of these people could have ever transported koi to a show or shipped them.

By the time I finished reading all of it, I could have had 13 fish out of my pond bagged and unloading them at the show.

And by the time I corrected all the BS in the paper, I would have already won a couple awards, and been back home with my fish safe and sound in the pond.

For your reading pleasure, for anyone who has an evening with nothing else to do, here is the link to the paper...

http://www.koihealthadvisor.org/kha_images/pdf/KTRP_FINAL.pdf

Daihonmei
    even though you give a compelling endorsement I am not sure I have the time

even though you give a compelling endorsement I am not sure I have the time

Luke,
    and I thought you of all people would have taken the time to read and dissect this paper... And tell me what I was missing or what I misinterpreted.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast