Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: 555 2009

My reaction, too, Nancy.

Thank you Henry. Since you saw her in person, what are your thoughts? What did Mat say? I was wondering if she was from the new Atarashi line.

Cindy, she's GORGEOUS!

Oyagoi
    I like a great female body and like micheal jackson would say"does not matter if your sanke or showa" well he would have if he built a pond instead of a zoo

i love the body so if you can not talk yourself into this koi send it to me and i will wait the years needed.

Oh, no, I'm keeping her. I love all 3 of my fish this year.

Showa or Sanke? Well, I think Henry's photo gives a pretty good clue to what is going on at NKF. Showa and Sanke are blurring a bit, and some individual koi evidence it more than others. The Atarashi Sumi is appearing on both. There are some Sanke with Sumi appearing on the head or cheek. There are Showa with no sumi in the pectorals. There may be individual koi where the variety is not clear for a couple of years, except for one thing: The body structure. Even if no Sumi whatsoever had been up on Sandy's koi, it would have been recognized as Showa by all present. The bodies of the Showa being produced have very strong frames, with the shoulder width one expects in Showa. These are bold-bodied Showa that have a frame anyone who was present will remember. Truly distinctive. None would be confused with the Sanke being produced. The Sanke have more traditional Sanke bodies. The Beni differs also, although it may look similar in photos. Once you've seen it in person, you can start seeing the difference in photos, at least some of the time. Sandy's koi has one of the beni types appearing in NKF Showa.

However, there was an exception to the 'Showa body' convention. I was smitten by one Showa in the B.E.T.N. precisely because she does not have a Showa body structure. She has the elongated cigar-shaped body of a Matsunosuke Sanke.... or, at least, a body structure heavily influenced by those genes. I believe she is #85 in the BETN listing (??), a 4-step Showa in the making. I had already selected a koi when I saw her, so I restrained myself. I am more interested in her development than any other.... a Showa pattern on a Matsunosuke Sanke body. Oh, if the dream came true, she could become extraordinary (although judges may not be too impressed by something so unconventional). So, I'm hoping someone willing to let her hang around in the mud for several years gets her before my will power gives out. ...Of course, it is possible she would do well in a 10-month growing climate some place .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 555 2009-nkf-harvest-2009-099.jpg  

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617