Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 555 2009

555 2009

Tomorrow, there will be just 10 days until NKF's 555 Event sale begins. Last year I decided to get 'just one', but could not resist a particular Sanke. So, I got two tosai and both turned out much as I had hoped, and female. It may be another couple of years before I know if they get permanent spots in my pond. I've left them in the mud for 2009.

This year, I'm guessing some very nice atarashi sumi Showa tosai will dominate the choices. I picked up some "not quite good enough for prime time" siblings at the Central Florida Koi Show. They are growing like weeds and looking very good. That excites me to think about the possibilities of the "prime time players". ...Of course, if there is another Sanke whispering to me, I know I'll have to get it.

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Tomorrow, there will be just 10 days until NKF's 555 Event sale begins. Last year I decided to get 'just one', but could not resist a particular Sanke. So, I got two tosai and both turned out much as I had hoped, and female. It may be another couple of years before I know if they get permanent spots in my pond. I've left them in the mud for 2009.

This year, I'm guessing some very nice atarashi sumi Showa tosai will dominate the choices. I picked up some "not quite good enough for prime time" siblings at the Central Florida Koi Show. They are growing like weeds and looking very good. That excites me to think about the possibilities of the "prime time players". ...Of course, if there is another Sanke whispering to me, I know I'll have to get it.

I too am counting the days untill May 5. Last year I picked a lovely Showa, and was not disappointed. It also was a female. This year with the new parents, the tosai should be even better Showa, Sanke, and some other surprises, maybe, maybe..... I guess we will have to wait and see. Joyce

if I had a nickel for every time I've gone to their site and clicked on the "May 555" link only to read "More details and photo will be availabe closer to the event"... well, let's just say I'd be getting a few extra fish with my big old bag 'o' coins. (and yes, I included the typo from their website... I've read it that many times...)

Looking forward to it as well. I struck out last year so I may get lucky this year.

Grant

I just received a preview email with all 55 of the tosai. Oh, it is a tempting group. Showa and Sanke, with a sweetheart of a Shiro Utsuri for somebody who longs to be different. They'll be posted on the website in due course.

The 555 gives me great fun every year, but selecting just one is really a test of will power. ...Some thoughts for folks who have not participated before:

First, check out last year's before & after photos on the website (under events). You are selecting tosai, but purchasing the nisai it will become.

Second, forget about judging standards for tosai. Pattern is more heavily weighted when judging tosai and a more finished fish has a leg up. These are tosai selected by the breeder for their future potential. The very best may not look their best until 4 or 5 years old. Pattern is not a significant factor and blurry beni may be just what it should be at this stage. So, how do you select for future body, size, etc.???... Anyone have a working crystal ball?

Third, trust your heart. Folks have better instincts for what will please themselves than any set of guidelines can provide.

Fourth, I recommend the insurance. If it comes out of the mud the wrong sex or with a dinged fin, you can get full credit toward a replacement. Things happen in the mud. The risk is part of the gamble that makes it fun. The insurance keeps the risk reasonable.

Fifth, as in all things koi, enjoy the secret pleasure of anticipating the possibilities, and try to arrange to attend the harvest. Seeing your baby come out of the mud is a thrill.

Now, off to study those little gals/guys.

Sansai
    Thanks for the heads up.... Look carefully on the site ,,,right under EVENTS........ I missed it at first. Also before the auction starts. Check out your username and password on the site to be sure it works and you can log on. See you on auction day. Joyce

I found my showa already!!!

I was very pleased with my kohaku last year. I actually got my first pick. I hope I`m lucky again this year.

I've managed to narrow it down to 14! All showa... god I'm weak.

This Tuesday could be very expensive for me if I don't watch it...

Thanks for the tips Mike. Last year I went purely with your Third tip, that way you can't lose. If I love it, it doesn't really matter what the judges may think.

.... No kohaku this year, but with the looks of these showa it would have to be a pretty outstanding kohaku to run with this group.

I'd better get back to the pictures, see if I can least trim my list down to 8!

Grant

insurance is a must. My Kohaku grew 10" last year and was drop dead gorgeous. AND male.

I'm on my cell and can't really see the pics but I've foundat least 5 I'm going to check.

Well, Grant, my first list has 10 Showa and 7 Sanke. There are 2 Sanke I find very appealing. On the Showa, I am unsure whether to lean toward some that seem more like Sanke, or to stick with a more traditional head/shoulder. I think I will see about printing out the photos in B&W, with an extra dark ink setting. Then make a set of selections based only on the silhouette of the body. Then see how many are on my list influenced by pattern and color. I have such a weakness for a pretty face.

Mike,

That's a good idea! The black and white thing might help me make a more educated, rather than emotional selection. What will be interesting is if my original selections would remain in the running....

By the way, I've hit a standstill in my list reduction. Now I'm reduced to an "eenie-meenie-mynnee-moe" type thing... Thank goodness I don't want/need any more sanke. More than once I've been scanning the pictures and keep going back to look again and again at the sanke... I know this goes against Dick B's (at least I think it was Dick) advice that if you want to add a fish, don't go looking with a preconcieved notion of what variant you desire, just go looking to get the best fish possible... But TBH, i've got two sanke already that I'm very excited about and I really don't have a showa that wow's me yet. I hope to change that on Tues.!

Grant

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast