Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KHA, letter

KHA, letter

Hello KHAs!

Every winter, I wonder why I live in the North, and every spring, I remember the answer! The exuberant bursting of life from every nook and cranny is awesome, and it makes you appreciate just being alive to witness it!

Iím writing to you all to let you know about some issues that are going on behind the scenes. Spike spent years not only developing and building the KHA program, but defending it. I am now in that position, and there is much going on that may affect us.

I felt it would be prudent to make sure you were getting the facts, not just the rumors. I also want to say that neither Spike nor I are asking for any action on your part right now. We would like you to trust us to represent your interests, and we will keep you informed.

Recently some AKCA board members have asserted that the KHAs are not insured, and that the cost to do so would be prohibitive. Spike attended a meeting in 2001 where the board discussed and agreed to self-insuring KHAs. The KHA program has told the KHAs that as long as they get the Hold Harmless Agreement signed, and stay within the law, the AKCA will indemnify them. Apparently, a policy to this effect was approved but a motion to approve the agreement itself has never been passed. I know this is confusing, but the group is trying to find a solution that everyone can support.

You may also be aware that some KHAs have been seen by the board to be disloyal to AKCA for voicing criticisms of the AKCA, its committees, or its personnel. Both Spike and I have steadfastly insisted that criticism is a vital right of individuals, and so long as it is constructive, it can be a powerful force for change and improvement.

A vote to ratify or abandon the policy to self-insure will likely occur soon. I felt you should know that I am doing everything in my power to assure the continuation of the KHA program and to support AKCA and the KHAs. I am always happy to discuss any concerns you may have by phone 860-346-1335, or e-mail.

Karen

This is the letter that the KHA's all received from Karen Pattist.

I would like everyone of the members of bito, to read it and voice there opinions on the part that states Karen and Spike have the backs of all the KHA's that are disloyal to the AKCA, and who have crossed the line as KHA's and played doctor killdare.

Email addresses for the entire AKCA Board of Directors, in case anyone would like to voice their opinions to the board directly..

[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

MCA
    I can not think of a poorer move that AKCA Board saying has has the KHAs' backs....regardless of any document signed by a pond owner.

As a member of an AKCA club, I will express my opinion that any atttempt by the AKCA board to take own a open-ended risk and liabilility for the KHAs vioilates the Board's fiducary responsible to protect and defend AKCA and its's member clubs.

If something goes very wrong, can a lawsuit attach all AKCA assets... and even go after the member clubs? Let's NOT find out!

Even though I am a KHA, I understand completely why the AKCA would not want to self-insure (or otherwise insure) the KHAs, especially with the "renegade" KHAs that are out there that are not in compliance with local laws. I will say I am disapointed, especially since I was told that I WAS insured, as recently as a few days ago.

And as far as KHAs making disparaging remarks about the AKCA and it's personal on public forums...that is just plain wrong. It's kind of like biting the hand that feeds you.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    I can not think of a poorer move that AKCA Board saying has has the KHAs' backs....regardless of any document signed by a pond owner.

As a member of an AKCA club, I will express my opinion that any atttempt by the AKCA board to take own a open-ended risk and liabilility for the KHAs vioilates the Board's fiducary responsible to protect and defend AKCA and its's member clubs.

If something goes very wrong, can a lawsuit attach all AKCA assets... and even go after the member clubs? Let's NOT find out!
    Exactly MCA,

AKCA and Koi USA are a corporation, Anyone would be able to sue AKCA, who really has no money, as Koi USA is the money maker for the organization. So what would happen to the AKCA and Koi USA, they would be history, nada, no more, our organization would be gone. Where would our hobby be then without AKCA and Koi USA.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    Even though I am a KHA, I understand completely why the AKCA would not want to self-insure (or otherwise insure) the KHAs, especially with the "renegade" KHAs that are out there that are not in compliance with local laws. I will say I am disapointed, especially since I was told that I WAS insured, as recently as a few days ago.

And as far as KHAs making disparaging remarks about the AKCA and it's personal on public forums...that is just plain wrong. It's kind of like biting the hand that feeds you.

Cindy
    As a KHA I sure hope that you will also write to the AKCA board, and tell then exactly what you have posted here.

Thank You
    Nancy

I was talking to a friend of mine, he was telling me that his friend who is a KHA, called up an insurance company to see what the rates would be for liability coverage for KHA's...

The premium was $$$$ per year per KHA... (I received a pm, asking me to remove the amount, as I was now told that amount was in accurate. I will personally call a few insurance companies on Monday and get some quotes)

That is down right scary can you imagine the AKCA footing a bill for 200 + KHA's to be insured.

What I find unbelievable is that not one person ever questioned this.. It was not till I was told that a certain KHA only stayed in the program, because of the insurance AKCA provided.

I immediately asked an AKCA board member to check into this. As I already knew that this could not be the case.

I feel really bad for the KHA's that follow the guidelines, and don't play God with others fish..

To those of you, I am truly sorry.

But the ones practicing medicine like Doctor kill dares, they don't deserve a damn thing from the AKCA and need to be held accountable for their actions.

And the ones that don't sing the AKCA/Koi USA song, well they have bit the hand that fed them. And they need to be removed from the AKCA and the KHA program.

Now that I've come to terms with not having insurance, I totally understand why and I'm ok with it.

I was very angry at first ONLY because we were told from the start that we were insured. Can you imagine what would have happened had one of us legally, within our state guidelines and the KHA guidelines, been sued. We thought we were covered. We could have lost everything our families have.

When I got into the program, it was so I could learn to take better care of my own fish. If my sister or neighbor needed help, I'd be able to help them. I'm going to have to go back to that because people are too sue happy. Even if we follow everything to the letter, we're dealing with a living animal. There are no guarantees no matter how right we are.

I don't agree with bashing the AKCA, the KHA program or the leaders. I just think things should have been handled a whole lot differently. The organization as a whole needs to know what the person is doing before it's been done.
    The views expressed above are my own personal views and, as such, do not necessarily reflect the views of the AKCA or the KHA program.
    SANDY

Daihonmei
    So it hasn't changed...
    KHA's are good to have as friends or employees.

No, Luke. I would help them within the guidelines because I know more about taking care of fish. I'm not saying I would do surgery on them because I won't.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast