Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: aerator question

Tosai

aerator question

I was just wondering if there is a location in my pond that is best for an air rock. Should i put it anywhere in the water? Or ive heard the bio falls is another good location. Any help would be appreciated.

How big is your pond?
    How much are are we speaking of??
    Do you have a bottom drain?
    What kind of pond? Koi or GF?

Quote Originally Posted by mstrseed View Post
    How big is your pond?
    How much are are we speaking of??
    Do you have a bottom drain?
    What kind of pond? Koi or GF?
    Bill, here's an earlier thread about his pond.....

Help..New Koi hiding in bottom drain!

bottom drain, no rocks in the bottom, koi.

I'd try to get the air stone attached to the cover of the drain. It will help pull more stuff to the drain.

air placement depends on the job needed

As carolina Girl has suggested, on top the bottom drain encourages additional current to make the BD work more efficiently. Adding air to where the Koi live is good for them. Especially with the absence of a waterfall.
    The bio Filter is also a consumer of O2 and depending on type and efficiency, it too can be enhanced by additional air. Bio chambers in series should always have the following chambers renewed with oxygen.

Tosai
    thank you all for the replies. would it at all be beneficial to have the aerator located in my skimmer box in the chamber with the pump that sends the water to the bio falls?? The reason I ask is because earlier today i tried locating the aerator on top of the bottom drain and i thought it looked fine, however my wife didn't like how it made it more difficult to see the fish when we feed them. I guess the bubbles disturbed the surface more than she would like, and since the water fall is also close to that location, that added to the visibility issue. My wife asked if i can put it either in the skimmer or the bio falls (i.e. out of sight), so im wondering if having it at either of these locations would do the same for adding oxygen to the pond? My thought was that as long as its in the pond water somewhere, it is adding oxygen to the water right? or is it that much better for it to be directly in the fish area? (excluding the increased BD efficiency). Thanks again!

Placing it in the skimmer would cause several issues, most of all introducing air bubbles directly into the pump suction which will cause cavitation and premature impeller wear/pump failure. It would also tend to blow skimmed debris back out of the skimmer.

The Bottom drain is the primary favorite for circulation benefits and thorough aeration of the entire water column. Putting a 2nd line into the biofalls is always good as Dick mentioned, but it is best if you have both. Many ponders shut off the aerator on the bottom drain at feeding time for the reason your wife mentioned, so why not just try that? That way you still have a good view while feeding without compromising what is best for the pond the rest of the time.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Tosai
    i think that is exactly what i will do and it will definitely have the most benefit overall. thanks for all the suggestions!