Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The joys of a Mixed Sex Koi pond...

Exclamation The joys of a Mixed Sex Koi pond...

Generally speaking we have no issues with our mixed sex pond. They usually get all fired up in late May, we catch them early on, remove the female and a male of our choosing to an already prepared spawning tank where we can keep a close eye on things while they go at it.
    No problemo...

We're getting ready to go to California for a week.

While we're gone the Kid's (adults) will be taking care of the fish. They know how. BUT neither of them has ever messed with spawning activity. We were hoping the Koi would cooperate and wait for late May as per usual...

Sunday morning we were greeted to the sight of our GR Sanke (nissai) jumping the gun and spewing eggs all over creation, much to the joy of the males. The Spawning tank that WOULD HAVE BEEN READY was not as she was 1 month ahead of "our" schedule. Apparently she failed to read our itinerary and wait her turn... (I'm sure I sent out the memo) Spent a big part of the day doing extra filter maintenance and water changes. Happy happy Joy joy

Sunday evening all is well, the water is in great shape, and the Koi are eating fresh caviar for dinner.

They seem to have really enjoyed the Caviar and decided that more would be good. Monday morning an Orenji Ogon (nissai) volunteered to prepare the evening meal and the whole mess started again. Same song, verse 2.

Tuesday morning our Tancho Kohaku (nissai) became the designated sous-chef and performed an admirable "fan dance" for the boys who were more than happy to oblige.

After all the action for the day was over and the pond was back in good shape again (I'm really good at this now ya' know) I reviewed the pond and said to my lovely bride that I thought the Chagoi would be next. She's carrying a heavy load of eggs and I could see her vent already "puffy" looking without even bowling her.

I was wrong. This morning I guess they were feeling shortchanged on yesterdays Caviar output (the Tancho is rather small and didn't produce a very large "meal") so our Yonsai Orenji AND Yonsai Shiro Bekko are BOTH going at it and the boys are in heaven

We leave in 2 days. The Chagoi is carrying a heavier load of eggs than any of the ones that have spawned thusfar and she's holding out on us. And then of course there is her mother... who is by far the largest of them all... who only spawns every other year... and she skipped last year...

I'm gonna be soooooooooooooo ready for the vacation come Friday
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

The holdout Chagoi apparently couldn't take it any more so she joined the fray late. From the looks of her she's unloaded at least 3/4 of her eggs and the pond has a nice head of "froth" on it now... At least it stopped raining for a while so I can take care of the filters without getting drenched

Very well written, sounds like you are having fun.

Do you not believe in starving your kois for a week or 4 through winter to prevent this type of thing? Just asking because i have been told thats how you prevent it? I have never stopped feeding and have never had this happen to me yet.

Don't feel bad all 3 ponds of koi spawned at our house this week...thankfully the goldfish pond is following instructions and holding off...or I'd really be in trouble...I'm still working on water changes to remove the foam....or course its raining today so I didn't get to do my water changes as planned....I was hoping they would hold off for a few more weeks but, it happens whether your ready for it or not...
    Lawanna

Quote Originally Posted by WayneB View Post
    Very well written, sounds like you are having fun.

Do you not believe in starving your kois for a week or 4 through winter to prevent this type of thing? Just asking because i have been told thats how you prevent it? I have never stopped feeding and have never had this happen to me yet.
    We always fast our Koi.
    From late November to early February at a minimum...
    You would think 9-12 weeks would do the trick wouldn't you
    Like the old Broadway song, "It ain't necessarily so"

Hey Lawanna I was thinking about you whilst skimming froth off the pond. Ain't pond cleaning fun in a rainstorm So were you able to keep control of who did who or did they have a runaway on you?

I'd like to say I contolled them...but, truth is Fred,Ginger and show off (my showa) have their own pond...and Ginger and Showoff have always spawned on different days never at the same time....So I had double duties when these two girls decided to spawn...and then my butterflies and domestics...just had one big spawning(I only keep the long fins from their spawnings)....looks like we have some culling to do a bit later on...thats always the fun part....the rest is just work--but, something about culling and seeing what pops up is always a great thing...Yep I've been doing quite abit of clean up in the rain this week...just got thru vacuuming out tanks and cleaning filters and water changes on all the tanks and ponds this morning inbetween rain showers..
    Lawanna

Sounds like fun and games in Oklahoma is the rule of the day
    I feel for ya. You've got the tougher gig though 'cause we aren't keeping any of the eggs from this mess so no culling problems for me

Just when I thought it might be over...

Remember the big girl I mentioned earlier? You know... the queen of the pond who is our oldest, largest, heaviest egg layer? The one that only spawns every other year?

Well yesterdays peace and quiet is officially OVER thanks to her I shall spend the day alternating between final trip packing, etc... and filter work/water changes

I'm pooped already

Dragging it out...

I think our Koi have become Sex addicts

According to our kids they were good while we were on vacation. They do know the look and smell of a spawn so it would have difficult for them to miss. (Neither of them work for the Chinese government)

Everybody was happy and healthy when we returned home and we began operating under the illusion that they were likely finished for the year.

Once again, we were wrong...

They began having mini-spawns about every 2 or 3 days in mid-May again, even though ALL of the females had already spawned once. A few years back we had a female spawn in late May and again in late June as she didn't finish the first time before running out of gas.

This is different.

They've been going at it for about 1-2 hrs every morning for the past 4 days, even though none of the females look like they could be carrying more than a few dozen eggs. Their figures are all downright twiggy-ish, but the unmistakable activity and aroma are undeniable.

We've had a mixed sex pond from day 1 so this isn't our first rodeo, but we've NEVER had this kind of prolonged and repeated activity. Our temperatures have been ideal for spawning triggers with warm days and cool nights coupled with intermittent rain showers, but how many times can the same females fire up once their ovum is pretty much running on empty?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast