Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: jeff's koi house I DO NOT KNOW THE MAN

Daihonmei

jeff's koi house I DO NOT KNOW THE MAN

So Some Guy just called. He seemed a bit frantic. Seems like people have been contacting him concerning MY KHV outbreak. They believe he is the source of my KHV.
    I would not know him If he knocked on my door right now. And I can completely guarantee anyone out there that I did not buy koi from him.
    First I only buy koi from people I like. So I would have to know him or read enough about him to invest part of my backyard in his product. Since I do NOT know him I cannot like him.
    But the real kicker is.....
    Everyone knows I won't keep a koi in my backyard that makes me think of a person associated with that fish. remember how quick I had Mickey come pick up the Omosako Shiro utsuris when too many of the little people on this board were talking stupid? I bought those fish because I like alot of people here on bito, but those shiros got more and more associated with the people I do not care for on bito.
    Yep.
    Well Mickey tries to tell me how well they are doing every so often how they are doing, and I change the subject as quick as I can...I don't even wanna hear about em.

AND Jeff'sKoiHouse gets all his fish from Kodama. And I have no desire to think of Kodama when i am looking at my koi. i have never bought a koi from kodama, or that was once owned by Kodama to my knowledge. i
    One time I wrote Kodama a fairly benign letter about an aspect of his first Kokugyo book. His son emailed me back that he "was sorry that that was all I got from the book." it was a very telling statement. I don't trust the man. I'll listen to 'em at koi shows to watch them work the crowd. But I won't have their presence in my backyard in the form of a koi.

Now there it is......... Two reasons why I did not, and will not, buy koi from jeff's fish house. The first one cannot be substantiated unless you know me to speak the truth.
    The second one has been documented on this and other koi boards over the years...I do not buy Kodama koi simply because I do not want to be reminded of the salesman.

I know nothing of Jeff's koi house, but my KHV did not come through him.

So please keep the torches burning and shaking your pitchforks at the sky, but move on to some other poor soul. Jeff's koi house did not sell me a koi EVER.

Daihonmei
    uuhhhh--- pisssttt---- The koi are innocent! JR

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    uuhhhh--- pisssttt---- The koi are innocent! JR
    Jr
    the guys got a big whoopdeedo coming up in a week. I think Kodama is coming in with a shipment of koi. The guy has it catered or something.
    Anyway people are telling him I got KHV from him. So I wanted to clear that up.
    Koi have little to do with it

I know Jeff. He is a likeable fellow working hard to establish a dealership. I know nothing about his fish except that he has been buying only from Kodama for nearly a year.

It has been the time of year in Central Florida when folks' koi experience health issues. There is a tendency to assume that a health issue arose due to a new fish, and a lot of hobbyists acquire a new fish at CFKS. They tend to forget about the ones acquired in the Fall as the water cooled down, or the ones acquired in summer when the temps were in the 90sF, or the delayed maintenance over the holidays that kept being put off until March. It happens every year. This year Luke's situation has folks more on edge. Luke's 'torches and pitchforks' analogy is not far off, just vividly expressed as only Luke can do.

Luke, you are doing a good thing....Dont let anyone tell you other wise.

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by aquitori View Post
    they tell me everything..I gotta consider the source.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aquitori View Post
    Ditto that. Bad enough that you have this mess to deal with.
    For someone who has had absolutely no part in this to have his reputation smeared without a loud and clear "NO" is wrong on too many levels to consider. Good on You Luke.

Daihonmei
    Hey! NO ONE is telling him he is doing a WRONG thing, T ! He said he doesn't buy fish that remind him of people he doesn't like cause all he thinks about is the source ( people) when he looks at the fish. I stand by what I said. JR

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    Hey! NO ONE is telling him he is doing a WRONG thing, T ! He said he doesn't buy fish that remind him of people he doesn't like cause all he thinks about is the source ( people) when he looks at the fish. I stand by what I said. JR

Oh is that what you meant....
    well JR I didn't say i was gonna go poison every pond thta had a fish in it from a dealer or breeder i did not like.
    So the fish are neither innocent or guilty, as they are not on trial. I didn't kill the Omasakos..I just got em out of my backyard.
    Now is it warm enough where you live to gather up them brushes yet?

I just learned that Jeff had samples tested from all of his holding facilities at the U. of Georgia. All tests came back negative. His big event with the Kodamas is on schedule, with a Hi Utsuri grow-out among the festivities. (The Hi Utsuri tosai are really pretty good looking, too. Wish I had a picture I could post.) I hope word of the test results circulate as rapidly as the rumor that he had KHV-infected fish.

There is a lesson to be learned from Jeff's wild ride. A beginning hobbyist in the Orlando area (not Luke) had a die-off and assumed it was due to a new fish acquired from Jeff. Although Jeff experienced no similar problem among his stocks, the rumor mill took off. With all tests negative, it now appears the hobbyist had a pre-existing situation that took off coincidental with acquiring a new fish in mid-March. In the Central Florida/Orlando area, the period of March thru April is typically when parasite issues arise and it is the time when most ponds reach the permissive temperature range for KHV. It is also a period of beautiful weather when folks get busy in the garden and like to add new fish. No doubt new fish can bring in problems. However, sometimes there is an assumption that a new fish caused a problem when it would have occurred any way. In the March-April period in this area, the potential for pure coincidence is greater than at other times. In cooler climates, of course, the period of risk will differ. There is no substitute for a long quarantine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast