Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: help with construction of above-ground koi pond

Tosai

Question help with construction of above-ground koi pond

Hello my name is nick, i am trying to figure out the best way to build a 6'x7'x3"6" or a little deeper. I am trying to figure out the best material and way to support the side walls from bowing out. I have a 8'x6'x3' concrete aboveground pond. I would like anybodies input on ways to build this i really appreciate the help. Also i had a really bad algae bloom in my other pond i bought a tetra 18 watt uv and it seems to be working but my water is still super cloudy it has been this way for like three weeks.thanks. Also i would like the pond to be wood so i can break it down in the future.

MCA
    Welcome,

Do you mean all above ground....or semi-raised pond?

I have concerns about a 6'x7'x3"6" pond. It may be OK for a young koi but it very small for an adult koi that can easily be 28" long or bigger. consider doing it 8x8x4 at a minimum....and even then, only for very young koi. I made a temporary tank for our patio to house our koi while I built the current pond. It was 4 sheets of plywood with 5 2x6s screwed to each sheet of plywood to act as ribs. I 45ed the 2x6s at the corners and used 10" long L brackets and lag bolts to put the corners together. Again, this was not meant as a permanant pond.

You can use landscape timbers, interlocking concrete blocks, probably lots of other approaches to build a small tank. One of our club members build her QT tank with interlocking blocks and rubber liner.

Please keep in mind that koi are riverine carp and need serious room (horizontal and vertical) to exercise. Please consider doing a bit more research before going forward. Please join a koi club in your area. Also consider getting a copy of Koi for Dummies (around $20 from Amazon).

Remember the cheapest pond is one you build only once.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Tosai

Question help with construction of above-ground koi pond

i appreciate the input i grow these koi from yearlings until they are about 12 inchs long then transfer them into my neighbors pond it is 15x12x5 it is plenty big and to empty i would grow them bigger in my personal pond but i aready have two mature koi in there. i am just wondering the best way to build it i have read alot about peoples pond collapsing and bowing real bad. i have a general idea about what to do but i would like to smooth out the rough edges before i jump into construction.Also yes it is going to be completly aboveground. My landlord will not let me dig up the ground.Or i would put a pool back there lol. but once again thank you for the help.

MCA
    Just stack up interlock concrete blocks from a DIY store and fold in a liner the put on a cap layer on top. When it is time to tear down the pond, just move the blocks. And the blocks can look better than most above ground swimming pools or ponds.

for example: http://www.atlantakoiclub.org/members%20ponds/Carl&VickiKnill/carl_&_vicki.htm

Tosai
    that sounds better than wood and it is an investment how high can i go and where is the best place to buy and what size.

MCA
    You can get interlocking concrete blocks at DIY stores and at specialty building and landscaping supply companies. As you can see from the pictures, you can for sure go around 3' high for most pond walls and I think the small QT in the pictures as around 4'.

Tosai
    i went ahead and went to home-depot and the interlocking blocks are $4 a block x 90-95 blocks to be safe a little out of my range so i looked at cinderblocks they are 95 cents a little better. a buddy of mine told me to dig a 1'6" hole run a center drain fill it with 6" of sand covering the pipe to the drain. place a peice of rebar every other block then place the first layer of block fill with quickcrete let harden then lay the second layer. i plan on going 7x6x3 and a foot down does anybody see a problem with this design let me know i dont feel like coming home with a busted pond. and of course i am going to use a liner. thank you