Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Do some of your koi have skin so good it glows?

Daihonmei

Do some of your koi have skin so good it glows?

now this THIS is Glowing (no photoshopping)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do some of your koi have skin so good it glows?-dscn1105.jpg   Do some of your koi have skin so good it glows?-dscn1112.jpg  

Daihonmei
    and today water clarity is worse.
    The green hair algae on the walls has been coming off in buckets ( I mean buckets, I got three 6 gallon buckets out three days ago, and one 6 gallon bucket yesterday, but less than two gallons today all with a deep pocket poolskimmer by scraping it off the bottom.)
    The algae was coming off the walls before I MG&F-ed the pond a month ago, but that treatment seemed to accelerate it.
    While the algae was on the bottom the water clarty remained very good. When I would pull the algae up in the scoop i would have to swish it several times while in the water to remove water out of it so I could lift it without tearing up the skimmer. During this action alot of the fine silt like brown stuff worked through the mesh. I think this could have fed the water column algae.) Such is life
    3 ft vis today.

I have noticed an increase in green water following F&MG treatment. I used to assume it was due to turning off UV for a week. But, last time this occurred, the UV was left off and the water cleared within a 7-10 day period. I think the F&MG sets back the nitrifiers, allowing the unicellular algae to flourish until the bacterial competition recovers.

BTW, the hair algae period for my pond was not so severe as last year and is on the downhill slide now. As soon as it began, I used a bacterial additive sold in UK. I do not know what is in it, but the description of bacterial consumption of phosphate reminds me of the Microbe-Lift sludge remover description.