Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lammie's DIY Pond

Lammie's DIY Pond

It's a lovely spring day here in the Pac NW so I thought I would share some pixs of my main pond and fids with my fellow KBers. Please don't laugh because I know that there are some flaws and this was the first pond I built. Many of you guys know the specs already, but for those of you who don't know and are interested, here are the specs again:

Volume: 7,700 gal in pond + 1,300 gal in filtration = ~9,000 gal
    Filtration: 2 Nexus 300 w/ max K1 & biochips, 1 DIY bakki shower w/ feather rocks, 2 fiberglass filter boxes w/ J brushes, 1 mechanical vortex.
    Pumps: 2 Artesian Performance Pro 1/4 hp (each feeding one Nexus), 1 W. Lim 1/2 hp feeding the bakki shower and the two j brush filter boxes
    UV: One 80 watt Aqua Ultraviolet and one 120-watt Aqua Ultraviolet (only the 80 watt is running right now)
    Pond Turnover Rate: once every 45 minutes!
    The pond also has two retrofitted aerated BDs, but these were turned off for pixs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lammie's DIY Pond-lams-koi-pond-002.jpg   Lammie's DIY Pond-lams-koi-pond-005.jpg   Lammie's DIY Pond-lams-koi-pond-006.jpg   Lammie's DIY Pond-lams-koi-pond-008.jpg   Lammie's DIY Pond-lams-koi-pond-010.jpg  

Lammie's DIY Pond-lams-koi-pond-011.jpg  

Lam,

That is some good looking water you have!!

Love the snow lanterns...........

More pixs. BTW, I currently have 14 koi in the pond, which equates to about 600 gal per koi. Feels very empty...........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lammie's DIY Pond-lams-koi-pond-013.jpg   Lammie's DIY Pond-lams-koi-pond-014.jpg   Lammie's DIY Pond-lams-koi-pond-015.jpg   Lammie's DIY Pond-lams-koi-pond-016.jpg   Lammie's DIY Pond-lams-koi-pond-018.jpg  

Lammie's DIY Pond-lams-koi-pond-019.jpg  

Thanks Mr. Seed. I know that my water is nothing compared to yours but it will suffice. I have learned so much from this pond project so hopefully I won't make the same mistakes again when I build my next one.

I know this sounds crazy, but when my wife gets home, I am going to attempt your "You Can't" stunt by doing a belly flop into the pond, have my wife snap pixs, and post it..........kichi! Heck, I might be kichi enough to attempt Bob Winkler's version's of kissing my koi (I don't have a yamabuki so perhaps a kohaku or sanke will suffice)!

Meg
    thank you! I have not seen your pond before and very much enjoyed the tour.
    is you showa avatar in there? there is one I see that may be it but as it is a distant shot or a side view, not sure. I love the looks of that showa and covet it every time you post!

MCA
    For a first pond this is EXCELLENT! Most of us wish we had done so well the first time we put shovel to eath.

Hiya Lam,

Great looking pond man. You're very humble about it, but your water and your set up looks great. If only everyone's first koi pond were like yours the "First aid" section wouldn't be nearly so busy.

I like your fish too! Smaller, but tasteful. And trust me, I feel your pain with the empty pond feeling.... lol

Thanks for sharing. (how's the grow out project going?)

Grant

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    For a first pond this is EXCELLENT! Most of us wish we had done so well the first time we put shovel to eath.

Exactly, now I'm scared about the 2nd pond that you'll have in the future. It will make mine look like a puddle. Thanks for the post of Lammie's pond, I finally get to see it.

Now show me where you've kept the recent Dainichi addition....

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    thank you! I have not seen your pond before and very much enjoyed the tour.
    is you showa avatar in there? there is one I see that may be it but as it is a distant shot or a side view, not sure. I love the looks of that showa and covet it every time you post!
    Thanks Meg. Yes, she is in there. I really like her a lot too but feel sorry for her because she has me (as Luke would put it) as her God. Unlike the Japanese breeders whose koi get better with age, mine just gets worse. She is developing well but am afraid not as well as I would like. I will try and snap a few updated pixs of her when I have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post

Thanks Mike. This pond wouldn't be what it is today without your guys' help. See the DIY plastic tray bakki shower?! Thanks for the idea! I am starting to think that all ponds should have some sort of a TT or BS. Definitely good stuff and it doesn't even contain the FIR BH.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast