Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Test to proove its not pond water

Water Test to proove its not pond water

Here's the short story (long story is on my facebook page), I have a neighbor whose yard gets wet when it rains, even tho they have a spring running through their property they blame their wet yard on my pond, claiming its leaking even tho its not.

Is there a test that a lab could do to prove if the water coming out of their tile line is the same as my pond water?

If so can someone recommend a lab, so I could get this test done, and hopefully resolve this issue once and for all.

My source water is my own well, not city water. I live in Toddville Iowa.

Thanks guys.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by gregbickal View Post
    Here's the short story (long story is on my facebook page), I have a neighbor whose yard gets wet when it rains, even tho they have a spring running through their property they blame their wet yard on my pond, claiming its leaking even tho its not.

Is there a test that a lab could do to prove if the water coming out of their tile line is the same as my pond water?

If so can someone recommend a lab, so I could get this test done, and hopefully resolve this issue once and for all.

My source water is my own well, not city water. I live in Toddville Iowa.

Thanks guys.
    Here's a link. They use this stuff to observe glacial melt water. You'd have to pull the fish as it's toxic.

http://www.abbeycolor.com/rhodamine-wt.php

I guess you could also, pull the fish and do a massive PP dose and have him look for pink.

Im guessing even the PP would get burned out going through the 30 feet of soil from my yard to theirs.

What about some kind of test for fish hormone?

Or, the water coming out of their tile has stained the cement orange where it runs on to the street. Im guessing from a high iron content? I have a whole house filter on my well water that gets the same color. Im hoping that my whole house filter is keeing that from reaching my pond water. If the iron or some other trace mineral in the tile line water was higher than my pond water wouldn't that prove it? Or would water going through ground delute that?

My thought would be to send 3 samples for testing. #1 Pond water, #2 Water from the neighbors tile line, #3 water from my well.

The flow from this tile line is around 400gallons per day. All of my ponds don't even come close to losing that much from evaporation.

Nisai
    See if your county extension has a hydrologist. They may be able to help.

Nisai

I know they sell

florescent dyes for checking leaks in leaching fields and such. Dont know if they are toxic to fish thou. search dye

Im guessing even the PP would get burned out going through the 30 feet of soil from my yard to theirs.

Soil won't burn off PP. It reacts with organics, not minerals.

What about some kind of test for fish hormone?

That would be nice if there is one... I dunno, but Brett might.

Or, the water coming out of their tile has stained the cement orange where it runs on to the street. Im guessing from a high iron content? I have a whole house filter on my well water that gets the same color. Im hoping that my whole house filter is keeing that from reaching my pond water. If the iron or some other trace mineral in the tile line water was higher than my pond water wouldn't that prove it? Or would water going through ground delute that?

My thought would be to send 3 samples for testing. #1 Pond water, #2 Water from the neighbors tile line, #3 water from my well.

That would be my first choice. Complete mineral profile in addition to Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and Fecal Coliform from each source.

The flow from this tile line is around 400gallons per day. All of my ponds don't even come close to losing that much from evaporation.
    You might even sink a small "borehole" in the middle of your ponds (if it is convenient to do so) to sample the groundwater around the ponds for comparison to his runoff.

Oyagoi
    Several dyes are available that could show a leak or lack of one.

Sodium flourescein is a good one. Another would be acriflavine, which also flouresces in sunlight.

Also, any of the commercial blue or black water dyes used in water features and ponds. Pour the dye in the suspected leaky pond and see if the sye shows up next door.

Brett

Meg
    Greg I am going to show my ignorance but....what is a tile line?

HEY!
    It just dawned on me. My yard gets wet every time it rains too!
    That's one heckuva leak you got goin' on there Greg

Honmei
    Gregm
    Here is a down and dirty idea for you. Take a water sample of your pond, and one from their yard and have aromonous cultured and CFU test. It is doubtful that his yard water would have any while your pond most certainly will. The last time I had it done it cost about $50 so this would cost about $100 total (est). Almost any lab can do the test, ask a local vet for a reference.

Steve
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast