Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd Asian Koi Show held in Guangzhou, China

2nd Asian Koi Show held in Guangzhou, China

Just got word from Kenji Tani of Tani fish farm and Mike Hernandez last night. The GC came from Sakai Fish Farm a gorgeous Maruten Sanke. Pictures to follow till I figure out how to transfer it from my cell to my computer. Unfortunately there were a lot of casualty in this said koi show. According to Kenji a lot of koi's died due to high temperature and spawning. Will get more update on what really happened. There were over 1000 koi entered in this show.

Quote Originally Posted by gspotmc View Post
    Just got word from Kenji Tani of Tani fish farm and Mike Hernandez last night. The GC came from Sakai Fish Farm a gorgeous Maruten Sanke. Pictures to follow till I figure out how to transfer it from my cell to my computer. Unfortunately there were a lot of casualty in this said koi show. According to Kenji a lot of koi's died due to high temperature and spawning. Will get more update on what really happened. There were over 1000 koi entered in this show.
    So where are the pictures? I heard from Mike also that the show was tragic due to the government's involvement.

duc

Daihonmei
    Yes, I was told by one of the amateur judges that it was VERY warm and humid with no A/C. Also with shinkokai judges which means huge business interests were afoot. I'm told the first show in Singapore was much more impressive as all the big fish came out for that one.

This really touches on a bigger issue of koi shows. We take for granted in the States and in Japan that are fish will be safe at a koi show. But in the long running annual koi shows there is a knowledge, accumulated wisdom and tradition that makes the entire event safe or safer than it would be in a first run show.
    Key is the show chair and show committee that chooses the site. As showchairman, I once called off a koi show when I saw the new venue. The curator of the site advised me that in late June the room would get to over 90F! And that we were the absolutely LAST booked event as they usually closed down the facility to public affairs a week earlier!

After the event location is sized up for space, comfort and water supply. the day comes and the water quality people take over. How important is a competent water quality team? Can you say " HUGE!!!!"
    This is the group that will treat your fish like their own ( and they know how to treat their fish very well!). More importantly, they are experts ( or should be) at keeping show tank water well!
    I've known manages who set up tanks the week before as a 'wet run' and tested the water and the way it degrades over a two day period. That is planning!

And finally, the problem that has unraveled and otherwise great show---- the water that people use to take their koi HOME in--- it must be a fresh and reliable water source!
    The finishing touch to any koi show that makes it a full service event is that phone call that comes from the show chairman or committee member asking about the condition of the show fish that is now home and in quarantine.
    This information should be included in the final show report. That report also includes all the comments and recommendations gathered from the 'After show meeting' which took place IMMEDIATELY after the fish are gone and the tanks are being taken down. Everything is fresh in everyone's mind at that moment and improvements can be made based on the few mis-steps or problems that might have occurred. - JR

Sad to read about the tragic ending to the show.
    Some pictures of the winners would be nice !

I had heard that the Chinesse government was in charge of the show, they would not allow the clubs or dealers to help in any way.

The temps were very high, the building had no air, it was like a sauna in the building. The fish started spawning, and no one from the government new what to do. I guess finally the dealers and hobbyist starting trying to save the koi, the GC was first on the list.

What a very sad ending to such a prestiges show, I was told 70% of the koi died.

Tosai
    That is terrible!!!! And the government has been trying to control the media and internet to keep tempers down for the 20th anniversary, but I am sure there are a lot of peeved people at the government for being so stubborn as usual!

I guess they can leave Mainland China off as one of the show sites next time.

And one would expect a different result exactly why???
    This is the same government that still denies Tienanmen Square ever happened
    Meet the new Mfg of the Hummer folks

yep!! anything that involves the Chinese government...you better run fast !!

So the recipe for the perfect storm in a koi show is allowing water temps to spike triggering spawning hormones, ammonia levels soar along with oxygen depletion. So if this happens to you and you are in charge of water for the show, what do you do to stop this mess with a 1000 fish in tubs on the show floor?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast