Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Japanese KHV Prevention Food

Japanese KHV Prevention Food

The latest issue of electronic Rinko contains an article concerning a new food developed by Japan Pet Drugs Co., the producer of several koi foods among other things. The new food is called "IgY Food" in the article. It will presumably be given a more marketable name at some point. The food is said to contain KHV antibodies produced by injecting the KHV virus in chickens. The eggs laid by those chickens contain KHV antibodies, which are harvested from the egg yolk and added to the feed. The method of processing is not described.

To test the food, KHV naive fish were placed with previously infected carrier carp. When the pond was fed "IgY Food", the naive fish did not become infected. Feeding was at the rate of 0.25% of body weight. In comparison, virus-free fish placed with carriers and given a normal diet tested positive for KHV.

As is often the case with the English-language Rinko, much detail is missing and translation issues interfere with clarity. Numerous questions come to mind, not the least of which is the type of test used.

It is clear from the article that food fish production is the focus of the work being done.

The article concludes with the editorial staff commenting: "We are looking forward to seeing the further development of this medicine that Japan Pet Drugs Co., Ltd. has worked on." I'm sure koi kichi everywhere concur in that thought.

Mike,

That sounds like a positive step forward, maybe some of our bi-lingual hobbyist could aid in confirming the translation.
    The more I am learning of this virus, is prevention such as a vaccine or food would indeed be a better coarse of action to pursue.

Bill

Yep, Bill. ... I'd like to get the scientific report on this study (in English!).

In the best of all worlds, we would have a test that accurately identifies latent carriers and a safe vaccine that does not have to be given more than once. With those two weapons, and proper quarantine procedures, KHV could eventually be eliminated from the hobby. I doubt medical science can accomplish either. However, progress on both fronts, coupled with education geared to the differing needs of hobbyists, dealers and breeders, would certainly make the risk more bearable.

Jumbo
    Exactly Mike......there are already vaccinated fish distributed in the retail chain. But there is no test at the moment to tell the difference between a vaccinated fish and a KHV exposed fish. the Isrealis have a vaccine called KoVax that appears to be effective but this vaccine is not licensed in the US. From last I heard though that the fish will need a booster at some point. Just a bit of side notes, USDA approval is bsed more on safety than effectiveness, so just because something is licensed does not mean it is effective (here in the US). Despite the importance of herpes in humans, there is but one vaccine and it is 60-70% effective. So as a hobbyist we must QT and QT at permissible temps and test...ELISA and/or VN.

Oyagoi
    I'll investigate....I know who to ask.

The vaccine is a fool's choice. To date, no vaccines for Herpes virus have ever been developed that are 100% or even close. And that with hundreds of millions of $$$$$$ spent in research and development and for humans with very advanced immune systems, not fish with very primitive immune systems.

My guess is that a fish food to prevent KHV is another very good marketing ploy, like the vaccine, to take money from folks but in reality give them nothing in return. I was unaware that KHV could be cultured in hen's eggs. Up to now I understand KHV is cultured in fathead minnow (Pimephales promelas) cells.

No vaccine or magic food is going to eradicate KHV from the hobby.

Better testing, being able to identify exposed, and latent carriers for a longer time post exposure, and euthanizing all koi testing positive (even the "vaccinated" ones) could remove this disease from the hobby. Short of that we will live with the problem until the hobby meets its ultimate demise.

Brett
    Brett

I wonder if it is anything like this food, I recieved a year and a half ago.

New Miracle Cure For KHV
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy M. View Post
    I wonder if it is anything like this food, I recieved a year and a half ago.

New Miracle Cure For KHV
    No, not that one.

The real one is named as MEDICARP K and it has been in the market of Japan for about 2 years.
    Locally, Asahi http://www.asahikoi.com/ in Gardena carries it since last year.

Very interesting topic -- with a strong upside (if true).

So why, then, do I think Brett's so close to the mark it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kindai View Post
    No, not that one.

The real one is named as MEDICARP K and it has been in the market of Japan for about 2 years.
    Locally, Asahi http://www.asahikoi.com/ in Gardena carries it since last year.

Junichi, is this the same manufacture that has been making the medicarp koi food that Henry has always sold in the red and blue bags?

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy M. View Post
    Junichi, is this the same manufacture that has been making the medicarp koi food that Henry has always sold in the red and blue bags?
    Nancy, Yes. the same manufacture of that' red and blue bags.

http://www.become.co.jp/%E3%83%A1%E3%83%87%E3%82%A3%E3%82%AB%E3%83%BC% E3%83%97.html

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast