Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Interesting koi surgery . . .

Interesting koi surgery . . .

When we noticed our koi's mouth was locked wide open, we figured it was the usual lodged foreign object or stuck jaw hinges, etc.

When Dr. Rob Hildreth stopped by for a look, we found something all together different (and quite unique, as per Rob).

The inside of this koi's mouth looked like someone had taken a Dremel and routed it out -- including half her tongue missing with a protruding bone/cartiledge spur at the base.

Surgery consisted of knocking her out with MS-222, retracting the flesh around the spur, snipping off the tip of the spur (3 times) thereby allowing the flesh to close over it.

Gave her a shot of Nuflor and popped her into a warm salted hospital tank where she recouped just fine.

Don Chandler
    Member: AKCA, ZNA, KoiUSA

Amazing pictures. Please keep us informed as to how this koi recovers.

Ya know Don, you have to be the luckiest dawg in the Koi world
    You actually have a fish vet that not only does house calls, he really knows his stuff Good post and a good result to go along with it, thanks for posting it.

Wow! Ditto Papa's comments.

Don, these "little problems" you've had are contributing to koi health knowledge on new frontiers. Thanks for spreading the word on this.

Banned

Talking Good.

Wow! Now thats what I am talking about! PHOTOS! What caused this? Ingery or Infection? Wow that was amazing.

How is sweet thing acting now? Lori

Banned

Good Time.

Sorry, I was looking at the photos again and had to laugh at your dogs. Aren't dogs fun they're always looking for a good time.
    I am still smiling ear to ear. Made my night! Lori

Quote Originally Posted by UP ALL NIGHT!! View Post
    Sorry, I was looking at the photos again and had to laugh at your dogs. Aren't dogs fun they're always looking for a good time.
    I am still smiling ear to ear. Made my night! Lori
    Chandler and Bella are two of the best doggies. Whoops please don't tell them I called them dogs, they do not think they are.

Cheryl don't you be looking at these pictures of my Rob... or else I will have to tell the San Diego story about the first time you seen him..

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy M. View Post
    Chandler and Bella are two of the best doggies. Whoops please don't tell them I called them dogs, they do not think they are.

Cheryl don't you be looking at these pictures of my Rob... or else I will have to tell the San Diego story about the first time you seen him..

Too late. I had to go back and look at the real reason the pictures were posted since Rob caught my attention first.

This is just amazing the care that Don gives to his fish. In my next life I want to be a fish in Don's care...especially with Dr. Rob working on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Campcheryl View Post
    Too late. I had to go back and then look at the real reason the pictures were posted since Rob caught my attention first.

This is just amazing the care that Don give to his fish. In my next life I want to be a fishin Don's care...especially with Dr. Rob working on them.

LOL I can see it now Rob in a suit swimming in Cheryl's pond giving her mouth to mouth........

Thanks, everyone.

Actually, we still don't know the cause of the problem.

Hypothetically speaking, a jagged piece of glass chewed around in her mouth might have been able to cause all that damage -- but nothing was found in the pond, and I checked.

The bone/cartiledge stub was similar to what you'd see if the tip of your finger was amputated. It needed to be resectioned to allow the flesh to enfold it -- not because it was the cause, etc.

In fact, lab analysis of the excised material showed no abnormalities (such as cancer, etc.).

Too weird, eh?

Best wishes,