Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video of my new Kin Showa

Video of my new Kin Showa

Breeder is Mano. I was told female but it doesn't matter to me if it ends up being other than that.

I purchased this spring from Shin Kawayoke of Koi and POnd supply of Japan. he had three others, and I picked this one.

Any thoughts are welcome. I don't believe I posted this video here yet, although it's been on youtube for a while.

She has good sheen, the sumi has darkened some since going out of quarantine into the pond. She was purchased between 14-15", and is really growing well so far. Healthy appetite, and a good swimmer. I think her head is huge....we'll see if that is a demerit.

Ethan

YouTube - Kin Showa

This is a feesh i'd have to see in person to give an opinion on. I found it a bit distracting. A lot going on with this one.
    It's a Showa and that's good enough for me !

Nice shine. Excellent utsuri patterning. Good luck!

Meg
    seems thin ...but you seem to take care of that fairly well.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    seems thin ...but you seem to take care of that fairly well.

I was worried about that initially too, but the proportions were still correct for head and body, so I figured it'd be okay.

Here's an example of a thin fish that i have had that corrected itself over 3-4 months. the tail was exceedingly thin, probably due to not enough nourishment to continue growth near the time that it was shipped from Japan to the states, combined with low feeding at the dealer's.

see the difference in "thinness"?

Daihonmei
    The fish has definite weakness in the body. For the future, when you see an angular head and thin tail tube, pass on the fish. THE most fundamental thing a koi must have for long term enjoyment is conformation. This is not only a show thing! As any intermediate hobbyists comes to know, the more you look at koi and the more koi you own, the deeper the impression of good koi becomes. And for whatever reason, the trained eye will always be pleased by a koi with good conformation and tend to overlook more minor things like weakness in pattern. But a great pattern and bright color on a poorly formed koi will haunt the critical eye with time. Sometimes to the point that all one can see is the mis-shaped fish and the pattern becomes meaningless. This is especially true, if swimming alone side it is a fish with great conformation. Like night and day-
    - JR

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    The fish has definite weakness in the body. For the future, when you see an angular head and thin tail tube, pass on the fish. THE most fundamental thing a koi must have for long term enjoyment is conformation. This is not only a show thing! As any intermediate hobbyists comes to know, the more you look at koi and the more koi you own, the deeper the impression of good koi becomes. And for whatever reason, the trained eye will always be pleased by a koi with good conformation and tend to overlook more minor things like weakness in pattern. But a great pattern and bright color on a poorly formed koi will haunt the critical eye with time. Sometimes to the point that all one can see is the mis-shaped fish and the pattern becomes meaningless. This is especially true, if swimming alone side it is a fish with great conformation. Like night and day-
    - JR
    which fish are you referring to with the weakness? both? or the most recent deformed showa I posted?

better?

before and after....40 days.

been eating OSI 168 and Blackwater gold.

Jumbo
    Hey Ethan, bring it to the MPKS show in July. We can all see it in person!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Campcheryl View Post
    Hey Ethan, bring it to the MPKS show in July. We can all see it in person!!!!!

Maybe I will next July. I think I want her to grow out a bit before I show her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast