Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cheerios?

Sansai

cheerios?

Question:

One of the Koi club member in the area recomemded that I feed "Cheerios" to my Koi.

I wanted to run it by you all...(before I make another lg. mistake)

Steve

Sansai

Cheerios?

She said that Cheerios has all the protein and fiber that my Koi needs.

Cheerrios..as a main source of feed? She said, that is all she feeds her Koi.

I wanted to run it by you all, of course before I buy a box of it.

Cherrios might be fine for a treat, but they are in no way a complete diet for koi. The protein content of cherrios is only about 10%....not even close to being good enough for koi. Plus it has a whole lot of stuff in there a koi does not need....like sugars. Stick to a good quality koi food.

Daihonmei
    Blog Entries
    Cheerios have a huge history on the internet boards! And that history has gone from a fad to a villification which has lead to "great debates" into trivia! Cheerios are liked by koi! The reason is koi can taste sweets. And they can sense carbs. So as scavangers they take cheerios readily. And that amuses hobbyists.
    But Cheerios are not koi pellets! And in that regard they are not a balanced diet-- not the way koi pellets are a balanced diet ( depending on freshness and formula).
    So as a treat, nothing terribly wrong with a handful of cheerios tossed into the pond in the high growth season. The fish love junk food just like kids do. But as a staple?-- no way. As a steady diet it would add to the problem of excess storage within koi. Koi are not like or even unlike people, by the way, when it comes to insulin and cholesterol issues. they are both ' the same' in some general ways and also 'uniquely different', so we need to be careful drawing direct comparison to physiology and metabolism.
    You will hear talk from some left over beliefs that things like cheerios and spinach are BAD for koi. Nonsense. Koi are scavangers and wild carp have lived off of far worse than cheerios and spinach. Just keep the rules of moderation and balance. And build the snacks around koi pellets ( the staple) and fresh proteins and fresh complex carbs ( for vitamins and minerals).
    Cheerio, JR

Sansai
    Thank You all very much!

How am I suppose to get from the level I am, to the level you all are?

Sansai
    Question:

What is a good source of protein for Koi? (other then Koi food sticks)

I have given my Koi, some watermelons and they love it!
    I have given them white rice also.
    I read in the forum about tofu and sweet potatoes.

I will be buying Hikari Koi food this afternoon.

Daihonmei
    Blog Entries
    Time, patience, personal experience and hanging around people that have made more mistakes than you currently have ! Welcome aboard an amazing journey. JR

Quote Originally Posted by sav3406 View Post
    Thank You all very much!

How am I suppose to get from the level I am, to the level you all are?
    You're off to a good start.
    #1 You decided to dig deeper on your own to increase your knowledge.
    #2 You found a forum that honestly (and proudly) represents itself as "Straight from Japan... For the Serious Hobbyist!" The information you glean here won't be the kind of compromised water garden "fluff" gathered in some places.
    #3 Find a Koi club within reasonable driving distance and JOIN IT! Serious Koi hobbyists are more than happy to make new friends through a shared passion for Koi and sharing knowledge and experience is part of that friendship.
    #4 Attend a Koi Show at the first opportunity. You will see Koi that are beyond "pet" status. It will give you the chance to meet people who are skilled hobbyists and they love helping their hobby grow by sharing their knowledge with others.

You don't have to own expensive show Koi to care for them well and that is the most important thing at the end of the day. Along the way you'll learn more than you might imagine and your appreciation for them will grow as well.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Daihonmei
    Blog Entries
    when looking for more protein, I'd trying feeding them--- protein!

Kostco's has some great prices on peeled shrimp. Depending on the size of your fish you can feed it whole, in pieces or shred it in a blender and then combine it with fresh collard greens, spinach, a catfish fillet-- all blended together. To this blender ingredients, add a cup or two of warm/hot orange juice that you have added gelatin to . Blend and pour onto a cookie sheet or into an ice cube tray strayed with pan ( I use those tiny ice cube trays and the fish can ingest that cube whole). Place in refrigerator for a few hours. This should last a week if frozen or a few days if not and just left in the frig. - JR

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    when looking for more protein, I'd trying feeding them--- protein!

Kostco's has some great prices on peeled shrimp. Depending on the size of your fish you can feed it whole, in pieces or shred it in a blender and then combine it with fresh collard greens, spinach, a catfish fillet-- all blended together. To this blender ingredients, add a cup or two of warm/hot orange juice that you have added gelatin to . Blend and pour onto a cookie sheet or into an ice cube tray strayed with pan ( I use those tiny ice cube trays and the fish can ingest that cube whole). Place in refrigerator for a few hours. This should last a week if frozen or a few days if not and just left in the frig. - JR
    And boy do they ever love it!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast