Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: need to grow koi as quickly as possible

Quote Originally Posted by beemo View Post
    well then technically they are being QT'd as we speak
    how long do you usually QT for? ive always heard a month is sufficient, do you mean i can get them to put on 3 or 4 inches in a month?
    Quarantine has many levels depending on your personal need for biosecurity. 1 month may be adequate for most things, but for those who have high quality fish risking their health by adding minimally quarantined (4 weeks is minimal) is too high a risk. Your fish came from a pet shop and unfortunately typical pet shops have disease and/or parasite ridden fish swimming about in their sales tanks. Most bring in fish from multiple sources, never quarantine, never warm the tanks to temperatures that would reveal certain diseases, and use common water filtration on all species of similar type. All of those things are potential breeding grounds for disaster.

Our last new Koi came to us in Feb 2008 at 7" long. It remained in quarantine (with tank mates) for 3 months, grew to over 10", and never had any health issues.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Sansai
    congrats to your new Koi.

Please watch for the ammonia level too, Ph, etc...
    I check mine new pond at least 2x a day ( for me a lesson learned)

I get a kick out of watching my 2"-3" koi swim, and eat along with the 18" Koi.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    Quarantine has many levels depending on your personal need for biosecurity. 1 month may be adequate for most things, but for those who have high quality fish risking their health by adding minimally quarantined (4 weeks is minimal) is too high a risk. Your fish came from a pet shop and unfortunately typical pet shops have disease and/or parasite ridden fish swimming about in their sales tanks. Most bring in fish from multiple sources, never quarantine, never warm the tanks to temperatures that would reveal certain diseases, and use common water filtration on all species of similar type. All of those things are potential breeding grounds for disaster.

Our last new Koi came to us in Feb 2008 at 7" long. It remained in quarantine (with tank mates) for 3 months, grew to over 10", and never had any health issues.
    thats pretty good growth for 3 months
    well the place i get my koi at treats with quick cure for all new arrivals and then they go into tanks treated with salt.
    most of my koi are from there, the past few years, no problems

nevermind, i hear if i play them violin music they will grow 50% larger

Quote Originally Posted by beemo View Post
    thats pretty good growth for 3 months
    well the place i get my koi at treats with quick cure for all new arrivals and then they go into tanks treated with salt.
    most of my koi are from there, the past few years, no problems
    well, that's fine but quick cure and salt will not kill KHV. Inadequate QT or lack of QT is a deadly practice. Every time you do it, you are endangering the lives of every fish you own. Not worth it.

Sansai
    beemo,

You have been a been a member of this forum since Oct. 08', you should have known the basics by now.

You sure like to skate on thin ice.

Best to your Koi!

Go over into the grow out section...........look for my shiro grow out thread.
    That will give you an Idea of under near perfect conditions what to expect for growth.
    Don't forget the air, it is just as important as water.........but who am I

Quote Originally Posted by sav3406 View Post
    beemo,

You have been a been a member of this forum since Oct. 08', you should have known the basics by now.

You sure like to skate on thin ice.

Best to your Koi!
    yes, and ive had a pond for a little over four years now, nothing has ever happend to them.
    all fish forums say to QT, its not just for koi, I know the deal, but i feel the risk is so low that i dont do it.
    I get the heat from the reef board too, "you dont QT your reef fish? or you dont QT your corals before introducing them into your display?"
    its the same all over. ive been keeping fish for over 20 years, ive yet to have a disaster and never QT'd anything.
    its the same thing like saying QT all people before we go into Walmart....its just paranoia
    QT'ing does nothing to protect against KHV, it can lie dorment for a very long time and in some koi not even come out just act as a carrier, all koi should be tested, thats the only way to get a possitive ID on KHV

until someone comes to my house, sets up a QT, pays for everything, then no one can force me to do it, i know the deal...bashing gets you know where, but unfortunetely most forum folks love to bash, i guess they think its more fun than the hobby.
    is everyone honsestly worried about my fish? you dont even know what they look like, what about all the koi that die in transport? do you worry about them?
    the QT force is just rediculous
    maybe i should just lie all the time and be like everyone else "oh yeah of course i QT"
    then id fit right in...but im not a liar

end of discussion, peace out

. . . and chronic drunk drivers never kill themselves or others until they kill themselves or others.

. . . and folks don't get AIDS from unsafe sex until they get AIDS from unsafe sex.

So then by your logic it's OK to drive drunk and practice unsafe sex 'cause you like the low odds?

Where's the sense in that -- or in your lack of QT practices?

Russian roulette is Russian roulette.

Sooner or later you're gonna bust a cap and it will be too late for a do over.

Best wishes,

you know, I don't see anyone bashing you. People are concerned about your lack of QT....but no one is bashing you. What is irritating to the more advanced koi hobbiests is when people know better (because they have been told how to do things the right way), chose to do it their way because they want to, and then come crying here for advise when fish start dying. Happens all the time. Hope you won't be next. Believe me...it may not happen for months....maybe years....but it WILL happen.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast