Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: need to grow koi as quickly as possible

need to grow koi as quickly as possible

I purchased a small koi the other day not realizing how small he actually was until i put him in my pond with my large koi and he totally freaked out, he was petrified of my koi herd (18")
    I figured he will just get used to my fish until another problem set in, the bottom drain
    He kept getting sucked up and ending up in my skimmer. After two days of this and an exhausted little koi i took him out. I had no place to put him so i went out and bought a small stock tank (40 gallons)
    I sunk it in the ground and turned it into a mini water garden for him (with filter)
    so now i have to get this little koi to gain three inches by end of august so he can join my herd and overwinter safely in the big pond.
    Hes about 2.5" now, and i feel he should be at least 6" to handle the bottom drain and not get freaked out by the other fish.
    so do you think i can get him to add three inches in three months?
    whats the best way to get him there?

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by beemo View Post
    I purchased a small koi the other day not realizing how small he actually was until i put him in my pond with my large koi and he totally freaked out, he was petrified of my koi herd (18")
    I figured he will just get used to my fish until another problem set in, the bottom drain
    He kept getting sucked up and ending up in my skimmer. After two days of this and an exhausted little koi i took him out. I had no place to put him so i went out and bought a small stock tank (40 gallons)
    I sunk it in the ground and turned it into a mini water garden for him (with filter)
    so now i have to get this little koi to gain three inches by end of august so he can join my herd and overwinter safely in the big pond.
    Hes about 2.5" now, and i feel he should be at least 6" to handle the bottom drain and not get freaked out by the other fish.
    so do you think i can get him to add three inches in three months?
    whats the best way to get him there?

so you bought a new little Koi and then put him into the main pond? That means you didnt QT the new Koi first?

Quote Originally Posted by drussell View Post
    so you bought a new little Koi and then put him into the main pond? That means you didnt QT the new Koi first?

please stick to the topic, thank you, i know all about QT, i dont feel like getting into a debate about QT'ing i just want my question answered if that is possible

please stick to the topic, thank you, i know all about QT, i dont feel like getting into a debate about QT'ing i just want my question answered if that is possible

Well if you know all about QT, and choose not to, it's your option. Nuf said I guess.

3" in 3 months is no stretch. Genetics might make it tougher or easier. Get him a tank mate. They don't like being alone. Keep the temp in the 70's and feed regularly as long as the filter can handle it. Keep a close eye on water quality and do water changes as needed. Use a binder like Amquel instead of sodium thiosulphate for chlorine control. With such a small tank of water, try and avoid temp swings from day to night. Perhaps put a small heater in the system somewhere. (one of those submersible aquarium ones). Also, with the water changes, you might want to run a hose from a hot water tap so you don't violently shift the temp of the water down when you do the required water changes.

I you have any mature media you can move over from your main pond this will help get the new filter online.

More than likely the trips through the plumbing will have bumped and scratched your new fish, so water quality is key right now to avoid any infections. Keep a close eye on him.

Good luck,

Grant

thanks so much

the only thing i cant do is add mature media from my pond, it has an ultima II filter, and the media is kinda exclusive to it, cant be removed, its like a coil cylindar thing..like for a pool
    i do have a bottle of eco (?) starter, but its an old bottle, not sure if its any good anymore

The key factors for growth are all mentioned by Grant: Warmth (74F is a nice temperature), excellent water (filtration and frequent, regular water changes), stable conditions and as much good food as the little fellows will eat as frequently as you can feed them (with none left floating to spoil the water). A companion koi is important, too.

I get tosai just about every year. After a period in the lily pond, they go to the main pond. They typically do not care to be close to the other residents, who are 24 inches and up. But, I usually get 2 or more and they school. It gives them courage. After a month or so, they start swimming with the big gals. Get another to keep your little one company. When they are 4 inches, try them in the big pond again. I think you will find that they do fine.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    The key factors for growth are all mentioned by Grant: Warmth (74F is a nice temperature), excellent water (filtration and frequent, regular water changes), stable conditions and as much good food as the little fellows will eat as frequently as you can feed them (with none left floating to spoil the water). A companion koi is important, too.

I get tosai just about every year. After a period in the lily pond, they go to the main pond. They typically do not care to be close to the other residents, who are 24 inches and up. But, I usually get 2 or more and they school. It gives them courage. After a month or so, they start swimming with the big gals. Get another to keep your little one company. When they are 4 inches, try them in the big pond again. I think you will find that they do fine.
    I just came back from the petshop, i got him two more playmates
    he got so excited when i added the buddies, hes out now and looks way happier.
    i'll try when they are four inches to add them to the pond. thats cool that they will seperate themselves from the big boys lol..maybe their own "kind" will keep them from going near the bottom drain

Nisai
    My point was going to be if you would have done the QT your little Koi he would have grown some before he went to the big house.My Koi have always grown very fast during this time as you spend alot of time one on one with them and maintaining your water quality and feeding etc .Nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by drussell View Post
    My point was going to be if you would have done the QT your little Koi he would have grown some before he went to the big house.My Koi have always grown very fast during this time as you spend alot of time one on one with them and maintaining your water quality and feeding etc .Nuff said
    Exactly. Ordinary QT time for a tiny tosai like that is more than enough to add 3-4" given good water, high quality food, and plenty of oxygen. Those are minimal expectations for QT and growth in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    Exactly. Ordinary QT time for a tiny tosai like that is more than enough to add 3-4" given good water, high quality food, and plenty of oxygen. Those are minimal expectations for QT and growth in my experience.
    well then technically they are being QT'd as we speak
    how long do you usually QT for? ive always heard a month is sufficient, do you mean i can get them to put on 3 or 4 inches in a month?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast