Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Bent tails on fry

Bent tails on fry

Got a question for all. Some of my fry have bent tails and I am wondering if they will straighten as they grow? One of the best patterned koi and with very good color has a slightly bent tail. Wondering if I should keep this koi or give it a chance and see if it will outgrow this problem.

my experience is to discard

Most deformities continue to go down hill as they age. Why don't you hang on to the best patterned one just in case and off the rest. Tail problems are not as usual as head area ones. Good luck

Daihonmei
    I just read about a week ago on another board where another hobbyist had some fry with bent tails..or was it here?
    i've never seen a lot of bent tails in one spawn....
    So I can't tell ya what to expect

I kept 40 fry from March’s Spawn in an aquarium in my kitchen. I’ve watched them from egg to 3 inches. Of the 40 one has a pronounced crook, to the point of being s-shaped. This has lessened somewhat over time. This one’s color is interesting and although the culler in me speaks against it, it is hard not to feel some sympathy for him. Of the 40 fry I’d say that as many 5 others show some slight degree of tail misalignment. They are all among the smaller weaker fry. In the wild I suspect these guys would be “naturally selected” rather quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    I kept 40 fry from March’s Spawn in an aquarium in my kitchen. I’ve watched them from egg to 3 inches. Of the 40 one has a pronounced crook, to the point of being s-shaped. This has lessened somewhat over time. This one’s color is interesting and although the culler in me speaks against it, it is hard not to feel some sympathy for him. Of the 40 fry I’d say that as many 5 others show some slight degree of tail misalignment. They are all among the smaller weaker fry. In the wild I suspect these guys would be “naturally selected” rather quickly.
    It is my understanding that all spawnings produce quite a large percentage of deformities and weaklings. Since we become so involved with our spawns, we tend to "see" these abnormalities more often. It's only because of our dedication and involvement to the fingerlings that we see these oddities. Without such, Mother Nature would surely intervene

Thanks everyone, at this point most of the fry are around two inches long and this koi is one of the largest with a very pretty pattern and I dont want to cull him or her.
    This was a flock spawn but I only had two males maybe in the mix and for some reason from a flock spawn all I get is culls, but this time I really have some nice looking fry. Guess just luck
    I am going to cull all fry that are deformed most likley, this one to but I just dont want to because of the pattern. In the fall I will catch this little fello and post a pic. Wish I could now but he is in a large pond and there is no getting to him untill I clean the pond.

Thanks KFG