Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Is Hikari making bigger Saki Hikari Pellets?

Is Hikari making bigger Saki Hikari Pellets?

Is Hikari making bigger Saki Hikari Pellets? Can anyone confirm this?

Tony

Southern, CA Member of Inland Koi Society, Koi Club of San Diego & ZNA SoCal
    I think they only make a medium pellet...
    I would like a large pellet

MCA
    Remember that the smaller the pellet...the greater relative surface area for a given weight or volume of pellets. That may mean more exposure to koi digestive processes.

Remember large koi did not get that way by not being able to find food.

I personally like medium pellets, as it seems to make the fish hunt/be more active in the chase. I.E. Exercise

Yes, they are making a large pellet. However, I cannot find anyone in the U.S. carrying it. I would get it if someone would. The medium pellet is too small for my use. Too much ends up in the skimmers.

MCA's comment on the possible benefit of a small pellet seems logical. However, most large floating pellets become soft within a short time of exposure to water. IMO, it all becomes mush too quickly to matter what size it is when consumed.

I still get a bit confused on the whole "pellet size" issue when it comes to adult Koi. They may swallow small pellets whole and if that is the case I suppose the greater wetted surface area per unit/volume may be of some digestive benefit. Then again they have all those lovely teeth tucked away in their gullet and I'm pretty sure they pulverize the big ones to mush anyway, which is better than a whole small pellet. They manage to crush snails and small clams pretty nicely, so I don't see a 1/4" pellet being much of an issue.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Hikari, is still trying to obtain permits to bring in the large pellet. It could be a while, the way our system works.

Not to intrude on Tony's thread but since we're talking about certain Hikari food not available yet, does anyone know if there's a sinking version of the Saki Hikari line? I know as of now, hikari only has the sinking wheat germ here.

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Not to intrude on Tony's thread but since we're talking about certain Hikari food not available yet, does anyone know if there's a sinking version of the Saki Hikari line? I know as of now, hikari only has the sinking wheat germ here.
    No.

I do wish a high quality sinking growth food was available from someone.

Daihonmei
    The surface area to pellet size may have a slight amount of logic to it if koi do not crush the pellets, no matter the size.
    I have NO scientific information on whether they do or don't. Or whether the smaller size is digested more completely.
    I would believe that the Food producers would know if smaller pellets equal greater absorption...and I have never heard such a statement from people that would know.
    I have seen my koi of all sizes eat small pellets until they were log-jammed in their throat and then watched them "cough" them back out into the water and eat them again... this tends to make me think that koi grind their food to a mush irregardless of pellet size. They do this as part of the Digestive process and it is more than likely hard-wired into their routine as part of the digestive process.
    It would be simple enough to prove or disprove...get some culls....feed em a pellet size and then disect a few of em as soon as thye eat the pellets....
    then again there is another issue...if a pellet is swallowed whole or semi-whole, are the nutrients less absorbed? A nutirtional analysis of the Koi's fecal matter wiould give the answer...give em big pellets...analyze the feces...then give em small pellets made of the same stuff, and reanalyze the chemical content of the feces.

But then again when I have non-diseased koi I soak their pellets in something nutritious as a way to fine tune their diet, not to increase nutritional uptake