Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Feeding! Are my fish too skinny!

Help with Feeding! Are my fish too skinny!

Every year at this time, I start to stress over whether my fish are eating enough. I'm not trying to attain a jumbo by any means, but I would like to know if they are healthily proportioned? As I am new to this site, I will try to attach a picture or two.... If I fail , I have some pictures in my album.

I feed my koi only Hikari. They usually eat twice a day -- morning and night. On weekends I'll feed them at noon as well.

I would appreciate any comments one may offer .
    [ATTACH]Attachment 25011[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]Attachment 25009[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

they look fine to me. The one picture of the kohaku....it looks thin but it may just be the picture because the rest look fine. If you are feeding them twice a day and you're putting enough food in the pond so that everyone gets some (for example...it's not all gone within 2 minutes), then they are OK.

How many fish do you have. What is their average size. How much do you feed (weight). Details matter, but they don't look as though they're starving or anything.

Thank you Pappa Bear and Carolina for answering...

I have 21 koi ( 4 are under 5" and the remaining 17 average 11.5")
    I had been feeding them approximately 1.25 cups at each feeding, twice a day. They have now been getting approximately 1.5 cups at each feeding for a little over a week. This does not include their treats (shrimp, and sometimes cheerios) nor their additional feeding on Saturday and Sunday. ( Do I need to start weighing their servings?).

Here's a different shot of the Kohaku..

Attachment 25012

I think the girls tend to look better fed then the boys. What is the mix of boys and girls in your pond....that IS something to consider. Also among my brood, my matsukawabake's both look kinda portly while my sensuke bloodline kohaku is quite long and lean. So body shape and genetics can also play a role beside sex.

Most folks that have the metabolism thru water temperature try and feed about 3% of the body weight of thier Koi if trying to grow and gain gerth.

If you do have a good pond temp in the mid 70's and are feeding a higher % of protein food (38% and up) you should be fine with twice a day feedings.

One way to see if you can observe any difference is to go to increased numbers of feedings and if you can't be around to do it, a Koi feeder that can be programmed every 4 hrs or a demand feeder to be activitated by the Koi ,might help.

With my girls, If I try and feed too heavy too soon in the season they are most happy to take the protein and make eggs. I try and feed to meet thier needs and don't really start the 3% regiment until July thru September. Here in the Pacific northwest you do have to be careful in the fall because the weather can literally go from summer to winter almost overnight.

Tho feeding is the part all hobbyists enjoy, there is still much to be learned as to what and when to feed. And it does vary with the part of the country your in and whether you have a heated pond. In Thailand for example they use chillers to control a cooler range.

If it makes you feel any better, look at most cats and dogs kept by most overweight north americans. It will tell you if anything we tend to OVER feed our selves and our pets....
    Dick Benbow

We have a member "Kntry" who lives in Covention La. are you close to her???
    She could be a great resource to you in the future.......... plus the fact she a very seasoned hobbyist

Thanks Coach.

Of the 17, I have 10 males (I know 5 are for sure; guessing 5), and I have 7 females ( 4 I know for sure; guessing 3).

My females are spoiled rotten and have no shame when it comes to asking for attention! So I give it to them ! Treats, foods, belly rubs, you name it. So I would have to say they get their "share".

Also, you made a statement regarding bloodline.......interesting. After studying the several that I have, I can definitely see structural differences between them. And these differences have always been there! Amazing what one can learn from you guys.

Thanks a million!

(I think I answered all of your questions? I'm not familiar with this forum yet and when I type a reply I can't see the original answer to my previous question , so........)

Quote Originally Posted by mstrseed View Post
    We have a member "Kntry" who lives in Covention La. are you close to her???
    She could be a great resource to you in the future.......... plus the fact she a very seasoned hobbyist

Oh cool! No, I don't know of her, but she's only about 100 miles east of me!

Thanks!

Tosai

Others

KK (just two,not three) Mike Christianson has a Koi farm near Port Allen and Purdens is not far from there. I am in Pt. Arthur,Tex. All can and will help including Sandy (Kntry).. Get in touch.. Mac

Banned

Boys

They all look male? Lori

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast