Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "stretching beni"

Quote Originally Posted by Campcheryl View Post
    You should bring that Sanke to the MPKS show July 11. There will be several qualified hobbyists there that could give you a better response and evaluate the fish than by a picture.
    I like the way you think

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    I like the way you think

I would, if I could, but I can't, so I won't.

I have a meeting I have to attend for work that weekend. In addition, I don't have a problem removing koi for shows, but a nisai that is in the middle of the growing season, how good of an idea is it to interrupt that?!

I use the term 'stretched' to mean the Hi is looking weak due to growth. This is not the same, in my thinking, to having 'elastic' Hi that expands with growth. 'Stretched' has a negative connotation. Hi that is 'stretched' is not necessarily fading, but is not expanding with the growth as well as would be desired in a perfect world. (Others may well use these terms differently. It's often a problem in communication about koi that we do not use words very precisely and different meanings and understandings arise.)

As to what is happening to this Sanke, I cannot say. I would want to see it in person. You should hold it in your hand and gently bend it a little. If you see white between the scales, you have a problem. The Hi may not fade, but very likely it will always be thin.

Some rambling thoughts....

I'll not disagree that the Hi appears 'stretched'. A tosai adding 3 inches in a month during its 'nisai season' is not uncommon. ( I think it should get to 15-18 inches by the end of October, and may well have slowing growth rates along the way.)

Along the edge of the Hi on its left flank, I see a straight line of 3 scales at the lower edge. As best as I can tell, this is the same as existed on it as a 7-inch tosai. So, no fading there... yet, anyway. If there is fading where a kanoko-type separation of any of those 3 scales occurs, find it another home where it will be enjoyed for the beauty it has, and not be a negative each time you visit the pond.

The Hi at the peduncle seems to have weakened, but that area had the fuzziness that immature tosai Hi often has... more so than on the rest of the fish as tosai. So, this could be the Hi finally beginning to consolidate, but doing so in a not too desirable way. Or, the fuzziness in the tosai photo could be indicating weakness as tosai. Gotta wait and see. Remember the old saw about sumi progressing from the tail forward, and Hi from the head backward? There's some truth in it, even if not always true.

The pale edges showing within the Hi plate are hard to see. If these are highly reflective, making it appear like a ginrin edge on the scale, I would not be concerned. Otherwise, yes, I would be concerned. What is of concern from the photos is that the pale edges appear to be occurring in only some areas, not evenly over the whole fish. Perhaps it is just the photo and how reflected light is picked up.

Altogether, I would not want you to accept any thoughts I have based on looking at these photos. In-person is the only way to reach a confident view at this point. In another couple of weeks, the answer may be clear. In any event, there is a good deal to learn from our failures. Let the little one teach as much as it can.

Sansai
    On other board, ones Sanke have same beni your kohaku have. I think that fish is gone but.....anyway your sanke is safe but your kohaku isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by schildkoi View Post
    Hmmm, it may end up a contest between a shiro muji and a shiro bekko.

Steve

A Bekko can beat a Shiro Muji everytime !

The Beni now reminds me of the Beni we see in the Koi from the guy (breeder) in Cal. (Richard something) .

I'm not so sure that we are looking at beni falling apart as much as just not keeping up with growth . The Koi had weak areas when Ethan got it , so no surprise that there still there .

As Mike M. stated , In 30 days you should know .

Quote Originally Posted by nguyen4 View Post
    On other board, ones Sanke have same beni your kohaku have. I think that fish is gone but.....anyway your sanke is safe but your kohaku isn't.
    In regards to that one Sanke posted on the other board, I think the beni wont get better from what the dealer has said. Even to the point of saying it is High Quality Beni, I dont think it is. JMHO.

Anyways, Ethan get better pics. We have to see the depth of the beni to understand if it is going or not.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by aquitori View Post
    In regards to that one Sanke posted on the other board, I think the beni wont get better from what the dealer has said. Even to the point of saying it is High Quality Beni, I dont think it is. JMHO.

Anyways, Ethan get better pics. We have to see the depth of the beni to understand if it is going or not.

Tony

out of the direct sun would be better?

it was so bright out today, I thought that getting a clear picture in the direct sun would be good, but maybe that's why the camera had trouble focusing?....

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan25 View Post
    out of the direct sun would be better?

it was so bright out today, I thought that getting a clear picture in the direct sun would be good, but maybe that's why the camera had trouble focusing?....
    Not to much direct sunlight and focus more on a general area of the beni.

I'm not a big fan of catching koi over an over . When I do catch a koi it's in the evening or early morning , not when the sun is at it's peak .

Let's wait for you to hear from Mat and post that . I think you'll get more from that then what another set of photos could do for us .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast