Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: In need of desperate help --my kois are dying! :(

Tosai
    -swimming at the surface with part of the head sticking out
    -flipping forward or backwards
    -swimming sideways
    -lying at the bottom
    -swimming fast, jumping out of the water, hitting hard objects (pump, wall, etc.)
    -first gasping, breathing fast then the mouth barely opening and gills barely flapping

Are these symptoms of chlorine poisoning? and what color would the gills be?
    Ty

Quote Originally Posted by Seanzky View Post
    Yes, there was a water change and I'm starting to think that you may be right. I'm not sure of the time frame but it was no more than a day or two after the water change. Is there any way to save them? How do they recover from this? How do I "fix" the current pond water? Any additives to balance it all out?
    600GAL pond for koi indicates that your father started a vast project with half vast ideas . It does sound like chlorine problems but since new fish which would be smaller were not affected and fish are bent there is a possibiliy of them having been hit by lightning or stray electricity from the pump. For safety check your ground foult recepticle as they do not last for ever.
    Regards
    Eugene

Sansai
    where parts of NY are you from?

Sansai
    sorry to hear that you Koi are dying. We all know that it is very distressing.

What part of N.Y. are you from, can we or my Koi club can help?

Sansai
    there is a possibiliy of them having been hit by lightning

--you know, we had a terrible rain storm. It felt like a monsoon for couple of hours, could that be it?

Sansai
    if I can take seeing this many kois die anymore. It's really sad!!! Please help!

Seanzky, I hear you.

We just burried our 5th koi (within few days) this morning as well, and more to come, from looks of things. sorry to say but, you are not alone in ths.
    I can bring a shot something over?

Tosai
    I have a few theories as to how the chlorine levels got so high and I do believe that what the other members here are saying about the chlorine is true.

The chlorine level in the city water might have been raised to compensate for all the raining. It just so happens that we changed water during this weather. And my other theory is the pond vacuum we use is the same one my dad uses in his pool which has, as we all know, heavy chlorine. Though the vacuum sucks water out, I think that the tubes touched and contaminated by chlorine did it.

Right now, I'll just do whatever I can to save the healthy ones we have left.

By the way, I'm from Queens, NY.

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugeneg View Post
    600GAL pond for koi indicates that your father started a vast project with half vast ideas . It does sound like chlorine problems but since new fish which would be smaller were not affected and fish are bent there is a possibiliy of them having been hit by lightning or stray electricity from the pump. For safety check your ground foult recepticle as they do not last for ever.
    Regards
    Eugene
    Do you think that there's a current "leaking" from the pump? But then if that's the case, couldn't I feel it by dipping my hand in the water? I'm just wondering because I would get the pump checked later just to be safe. The pump is also pretty new.

As for lighting, I can't say for sure. I doubt there were any lighting touching ground in our area.

Sansai
    Queens, NY. that will be eight hours in the car for us.

hmmm.

Sansai
    any salt in the pond?
    If so, how much?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast